Dec 5, 2009 -- now traveling to Tortola

We are planning on going to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party. It is good to know we can get in earlier than 7pm. Our friends have a foreign exchange student from Germany and thought it would be cool for her to get a taste of DW.

Sorry I haven't been on much lately. Last weekend we did a last minute little get away, then school started. It's been crazy!
Just made the final payment today...can't wait to book Palo in a few days. Can't believe we are only 94 days away!!!

what one item do you make sure you ALWAYS pack for a cruise that others may not think about?

Solid Air freshener for the bathroom. Bathrooms on ships quite often have odors from the drains (we've had this on the Wonder.) The air fresherner really helps.

Looks like we need a new Question on the week! Since we are probably all starting to think about packing and what we may need to buy or find before the cruise how about we do a couple of packing relates questions? So this week, what one item do you make sure you ALWAYS pack for a cruise that others may not think about?

Well my family has never cruised before . . . but we are learning a lot from the disboards, The stuff we never leave home without our. . .

Me: My Hair Straightner & My thousands of memory cards, for my computer (this summer alone, I have already used 2)

DH: I asked him this question and he said me and the kids, but really think he ment his golf clubs. He is doing both golf excursion on this trip.

DSs: I would have to say their Nintendo DSs, but on this last road trip, they actually stayed at home, and they brought these Magic Erase books, with all these activities I found at a store called Hans Christians (Game & Toy store). They love them. I got to pick up a few more before we leave home.

DDs: That would be their blankie's, they have slept with them since the day they were born.

ANT2304--how exciting to be oging on your FIRST cruise:goodvibes

Thanks to all of you who PMd me your information. I have updated the roll call accordingly. Please let me know if I have a mistake in your listing and I will fix it. I try to be careful--but I know I am far from perfect;)

Marika would like me to make sure all of the new people know that there is a kids' meet thread for this cruise as well. It is located here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2129312
I think most (maybe all) of the kids are just posting under their parents' accounts which seems to be working okay. Of course, remind your kids about internet safety and keep an eye out. I try to read through it every coupld of months (it moves at a snail's pace--but Marika will be thrilled if eventually more kids postand post more often and htey can start to form some friendships before the board). And speaking of reading through--I apologize for my son's crazy posts today:lmao:apparently he had to get ALL the smilies in:scared1:

Hi Hadley,

I'm sorry if I embarrassed you by mentioning your name on my last post. It was not my intent. We all just missed you and it's great to see you back!:banana:

I hope you haven't over extended yourself on this, but all should be fine.

what one item do you make sure you ALWAYS pack for a cruise that others may not think about?

ME - Unfortunately, my laptop. I won't pay the price for WIFI on the ship, but while in port in St. Thomas and likely while at the Disney Resort, I'll go online, check emails and schedule my week for my return. Hate to do it but we've got to pay for this cruise somehow! I will also bring my blackberry with me to receive text messages while in FL but email shut off for the duration of the trip (It also comes in handy for the MP3 player) - BTW I love Dave's zip ties idea!

Christine - A few zip lock bags of concentrated laundry detergent for the washing machines. One tablespoon per bag works well. Usually when we do this and we fly, we get a little note from the TSA people saying 'your bags were checked by TSA as part of ongoing security efforts' etc. My guess is that they found 'white powder' on the xray and had to check it out. (Christine also loves the clear plastic over the door shoe hanger)

Erik (8) - He would love to bring a DS, but we still refuse to buy one for him. We find them too anti-social. He will want something however to keep him occupied during the flight, but we haven't found it yet.

Holly (6) - Every bit of clothing she can pack. Princess dresses, sun dresses, cute shoes, everything she can wear and then she'll change 5 times that day.

Peter (2.75) - A couple of toy trucks small enough to fit into a purse or laptop case to keep him occupied.

DM (75) - Not sure, haven't cruised with her before. I know she'll be busy buying lots for our kids so I imagine lots of cash.

Sorry I haven't been on much lately. Last weekend we did a last minute little get away, then school started. It's been crazy!
Just made the final payment today...can't wait to book Palo in a few days. Can't believe we are only 94 days away!!!

Great to see you back! School is starting for our kids this Tuesday so we're on our last hurrah with a Canadian-type family week away on the Muskoka Lakes. Kids are loving it and the Internet here is crappy so I can't work too much;)

I so much wish we had cruised before on the line. With our 75 day booking restriction I'm afraid our desired slots for Palo will be taken. Well, in the meantime, all I can do is hope we get what we want.

Hi Hadley,

I'm sorry if I embarrassed you by mentioning your name on my last post. It was not my intent. We all just missed you and it's great to see you back!:banana:

Erik (8) - He would love to bring a DS, but we still refuse to buy one for him. We find them too anti-social. He will want something however to keep him occupied during the flight, but we haven't found it yet.

I wasn't embarrassed at all:flower3: I just thought it was funny that I was gone for several months and came back and there was my name:rotfl2:--it is nice to be remembered--thanks:goodvibes

Funny about the DS. I have weird kids who do not like or want a gaming system. Rio says he does not want one because everyone who has one is always "doing this" and then he mimics being hunched over playing one:lmao: Becuase I know neither kid is the type to play one non stop I would not be oppossed to buying one, but I will instead consider myself very lucky that I have the one 10 year old boy who does not like them:upsidedow For long plane rides, Rio likes: puzzles (like the square puzzles and rubiks cubes), Logix book (has individual logic games you can order it at specialty game websites), games like Rush Hour or Hopper. Both of my kids can also get into a "zen" mode coloring mandalas and be entertained for hours. I do not know if that helps you at all, but maybe there is a good idea for Erik in there.

Hi all:

we certainly will be bringing hand sanitizer as a must.

and attn: nhdisneylover, I am trying to PM you, but I don't have enough posts to do so.

so please add us to your roll call for the 12/5 cruise.
my husband Bryan and I. My name is Doreen.

thanks!

Just for reference for those wanting to participate so far I have

Cabin 1 - 2A 1C
Cabin 2 - 2A 2C
Cabin 3 - 2A - 35th:earsgirl::earsboy:
Cabin 4 - 1A 2C
Cabin 5 - 2A 2C - :cake::cake::cake:
:santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:

Tower you do not have to give names in order to participate, you would just need to give the person in charge of the FE your cabin # before they print the list out. My family did not know anyone else's cabin number until we got our FE list.

** could someone please give more info on this fish extender thing?
is it a gift exchange or like a secret santa thing? I need some specifics so if I sign up I will do it right. thanks!

I Doreen. I will add you to the roll call now:goodvibes Do you know if you will be dining early or late? I like to include that because it is nice to know who you may run into at dinner/shows. I also know sometimes DISsers get to be friends online and end up requesting to link for dining if they are in the same time slot.

After you have 10 posts you will be able to PM anyone you want:thumbsup2

The easiest way to explain fish extenders is to refer you to this thread all about them:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1219607

We are in stateroom 6560 and are in the main dining. I am still deciding on the FE exchange. I need to get another month closer and I probably will be part of the FE exchange. It will be fun to escape a Minnesota winter for a week, I am already dreaming about warm sunny beach days.
When we are in ST Thomas, we are going to go on the Dobloom sail and snorkle. What excursions are th rest of you doing?

There are certain things we always bring cruising but the item we brought on our cruise for the 1st time in August will be a future "must" when we pack---liquid hand soap in a pump. It was so much easier than using bars at the sink. I also love bringing along packets of antibacterial wipes, purell and downy wrinkle release. We have also brought individually bagged pre- measured cups of powdered laundry soap (double bagged) because my husband and dh 12 can only use certain kinds without getting reactions. Also we bring the unscented Bounce sheets.

One thing I will mention is that last month on the Wonder our son's gummy bear shaped Omega 3 vitamins I had bagged up (so I didn't have to bring the big bottle they came in from Costco) were confiscated. I also had Flintstone vitamins bagged and they were not. I guess they thought the gummies were candy. I'm going to buy a small bottle of the Omega 3's to take next time around.

We are excited to book Palo in about 12 hours. We are going to try for brunch, dinner and high tea. At this point I think the only excursion we are sure on is the dolphin encounter. We will probably also parasail and jet ski at Castaway Cay.

Did everyone see the new plans for Castaway Cay in 2010? The renovations/expansion look awesome! I know they are on allearsnet. com (no space after the .) We can't wait to hear the new itineraries for 2011 on 9/11. We are hoping to rebook onboard our cruise for one.

aloha,
Can you add myself (henry) and brenda on your roll call.
We have a SPH room for our cruise. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge 12/2-5 and then staying at Beach Club Villa 12/12-14.
We have late seating. That way we don't have to rush getting to dinner.
One thing should bring is multi plug extention cord. That way you can charge up all your electronics (cameras,games and laptop) at on time.

aloha,
hawaiian mickey

aloha,
:surfweb:Just booked our reservation for Palo's brunch and dinner:banana::thumbsup2:cool1::yay:. Could not get Tea:confused3. That filled up so quick:scared1:.
Good luck to eveyone. You can start booking 12:00 am Sept 6 / Sept 5 9:00pm pst.

aloha,
hawaiian mickey

I got Palo dinner, brunch and high tea. Our sailing party includes 7 adults, but I could only book dinner and brunch for 5 and tea for 4. I will see if we can add the others through our travel agent or onboard. By the time I separately went to try and add the others, the times I had chosen originally were gone.

I also booked the St. Croix highlights tour and the Kayak, hike and snorkel at St. Thomas. I was thinking of Coral World but it was booked. We could take a cab ourselves. Both excursions we have booked are done by lunch and we could either do another one on our own in the afternoon or just relax on the ship and let the kids swim.

I hope everyone got what they wanted with their bookings.

I've still got 15 days since we've never sailed before. But I do have a couple of questions:
1) When are the themed nights? I really don't want to miss formal, semi-formal or pirate night.
2) Also, since we won't know dining rotation until check-in, will we be able to make Palo changes after finding out our rotation? I don't want to miss AP on the first night when they do the light show.

TIA

I got everything we wanted: Palos brunch, high tea and dinner
Castaway Cay: Stingray adventure and couples cabana massage (we've done both of these before)
St. Thomas: The underwater walking tour with the helmuts
St. Croix: West End Highlights tour (May cancel and do everything on our own, don't know yet.)
Spa: Hot stones massage for me :goodvibes

Good luck to everyone else for getting what you want!

aloha,
:surfweb:Just booked our reservation for Palo's brunch and dinner:banana::thumbsup2:cool1::yay:. Could not get Tea:confused3. That filled up so quick:scared1:.
Good luck to eveyone. You can start booking 12:00 am Sept 6 / Sept 5 9:00pm pst.

aloha,
hawaiian mickey
I just checked and tea on Monday still has openings. Sunday and Thursday are completely booked.

There are still lots of brunch reservations, too. Only Thurs 10:30 am is booked full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter