• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dec 18, 2011 - Disney Dream

I was wondering what Fish-extenders were too. Thanks for info.

@ Steph & Suzy - How did ya'll get the trip counter thingy at bottom? I am so excited....Char has no idea yet. She will lose her mind when she realizes where/what we are doing.

Lynna :cheer2:
DD Char princess:

Has anyone been on a cruise during December. I have received different replies regarding the weather. Some say the waters are really rough so the boat rocks a lot and others say the weather was perfect and everyone was swimming.

Steph

as anyone been on a cruise during December. I have received different replies regarding the weather. Some say the waters are really rough so the boat rocks a lot and others say the weather was perfect and everyone was swimming.

Steph

Hmm, I'd bet that it may be rocky pulling out of Port Canaveral but I'd imagine it'd be fine after that. :confused3

Count us in!!!! It'll be me, my 2 sisters, my parents, grandpa, aunt, and cousin. We have 3 rooms booked on deck 9.

I'm a 25 year old 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade teacher living in Louisville, KY. We went on the Mediterranean cruise back whenever the Magic was first in Europe, and we went on a 4 night like a million years ago!! Can't wait to go on the Dream and spend time with family. We're doing 1 night pre-cruise at the Boardwalk and 6 nights post cruise at the Beach Club. I think this is going to be great! :)

This will be our first Disney Cruise and we are so excited. Our group includes myself, DH and our DD who will turn 10 the day we board. I wish I had a 10th Birthday like that! Looking forward to sharing and learning from all you cruise veterans!!

This will be our first Disney Cruise and we are so excited. Our group includes myself, DH and our DD who will turn 10 the day we board. I wish I had a 10th Birthday like that! Looking forward to sharing and learning from all you cruise veterans!!

Definitely not a cruise veteran, but looking forward all the same! :wave2:

Paid our deposit and looking at trip insurance! I also found a cool Trip counter from Disney for your desktop called Disney vacation connection. I can't post the link, I don't have enough posts yet.

Do a search for "Disney vacation connection" and you should be able to find it.

I was wondering what Fish-extenders were too. Thanks for info.

@ Steph & Suzy - How did ya'll get the trip counter thingy at bottom? I am so excited....Char has no idea yet. She will lose her mind when she realizes where/what we are doing.

DD Char princess:

I googled it and found one. :)

Trying to find counter...but keeps telling me I have under 10 posts.
:sad1:a>

Post away. ;)

I just emailed our travel agent to see about switching cabins and possibly upgrading, and everything we were looking at is GTY status. Guess the ship is getting pretty booked up! I really enjoyed looking at all the christening pictures from today. :)

Any suggestions on must do excursions? I will have 6 yo with me. Thought about dophin or stingray encounter. Has anyone done this before? :goodvibes

Post away. ;)

I just emailed our travel agent to see about switching cabins and possibly upgrading, and everything we were looking at is GTY status. Guess the ship is getting pretty booked up! I really enjoyed looking at all the christening pictures from today. :)

We have 6A GTY. At first I was freaking out....being in the back of the boat but now I hope we stay there and don't get bumped. Our luck the "upgrade" will be someplace where it's super loud.

I'm assuming there will be many people like us that thought, "Hey, wouldn't a cruise for Christmas be great?" then realize you can save $1000 by going the week before!!!

Any suggestions on must do excursions? I will have 6 yo with me. Thought about dophin or stingray encounter. Has anyone done this before? :goodvibes

We are having the same conversations here! The dolphin thing sounds cool but I'm not sure it would be worth the money after reading some of the reviews. Some of them I read said you actually only get a few minutes interaction with the dolphin. I'd love to hear from someone who has done it!

We are debating just staying on the boat in Nassau and take advantage of the pools and the Aquaduck while everyone is in port.

We have 6A GTY. At first I was freaking out....being in the back of the boat but now I hope we stay there and don't get bumped. Our luck the "upgrade" will be someplace where it's super loud.

I'm assuming there will be many people like us that thought, "Hey, wouldn't a cruise for Christmas be great?" then realize you can save $1000 by going the week before!!!
I'm tempted to do the GTY cabins because I didn't realize the 11A's don't have the split bathroom, but with 3 cabins I think it would get annyoing if we end up on opposite sides/ends/decks. Still doing the debate in my head.

Our plans are to stay on the ship in Nassau...maybe get off to get hair braided and do a little shopping :) and then just explore when we get to CC. We haven't been in about 10 years, so I'm sure a lot has changed!!!

Where can you look at the excursion options?

I'm tempted to do the GTY cabins because I didn't realize the 11A's don't have the split bathroom, but with 3 cabins I think it would get annyoing if we end up on opposite sides/ends/decks. Still doing the debate in my head.

Our plans are to stay on the ship in Nassau...maybe get off to get hair braided and do a little shopping :) and then just explore when we get to CC. We haven't been in about 10 years, so I'm sure a lot has changed!!!

Where can you look at the excursion options?

It might me wise to stick with knowing your rooms will be together. We haven't taken a vacation since 2007 so we are splurging on the verandah! Hope it will be worth the extra cost!

Here is the link to the pages with the Disney Cruise site that list all the excursions. Look around and you'll find the ones for Castaway Cay as well.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/search/?facetValueName=fv_Port_nassau

I've been reading reviews on Disboards and the Passporter boards as well.

We did the dolphin swim at Blue Lagoon last year with a 12 and 14 year old girls. It was great! It wasn't cheap, but was the experience of a lifetime. That being said, dolphins are not small and can be intimidating when you are in the water with them. There was a younger girl (maybe 7 or 8) in our group who wanted nothing to do with the dolphins while in the water. There is a fairly brief educational video and presentation by a trainer and then into the water! They swam around us, gave us "kisses", let us feel their teeth and skin, "danced" with us, let us hug them, quite a bit of contact and interaction. Then we each did a "push" where they put their noses against your feet and push you quickly across the lagoon. Finally, they did some amazing tricks and played with the trainers. There are other options available varying the exposure/contact with the dolphins (and sea lions). But for us, the athleticism and playfulness of the dolphins was the key in doing something with them. And the pictures and video are priceless. The stingray encounters are neat and probably more appropriate for younger kids. The highlight is feeding and touching them. For adults...meh. Next time we may do the snorkeling cruise.

The most important thing is to know what your child can and can't do, and how they handle certain situations and book something appropriate. You can cancel excursions up to 3 days prior to sailing. After that, you may be stuck.

Hi all on the Dec 18th cruise! We will also be a part of this cruise, myself, DH, DD (16) and DS (7). If all goes as planned this will be our 5th Disney cruise, but we have never done a Christmas time cruise!!

About Excursions for a 6 yo: we have done the Stingray at Castaway with our son (he had just turned 6) and really enjoyed it. They are really good about explaining everything that will happen and all about the rays and the feeding them was pretty cool and our son even enjoyed the snorkeling once he got going.

Fish Extenders: They are lots of fun and we have found that our kids really enjoy sneaking around finding the different doors/rooms and seeing all the cool extenders people have made. They enjoyed taking the gifts each day and of course, getting the fun stuff from people from all over (kind of like a Secret Santa).

Can't wait to be on the Dream! Look forward to planning with you all over the next few months!

We did the dolphin swim at Blue Lagoon last year with a 12 and 14 year old girls. It was great! It wasn't cheap, but was the experience of a lifetime. That being said, dolphins are not small and can be intimidating when you are in the water with them. There was a younger girl (maybe 7 or 8) in our group who wanted nothing to do with the dolphins while in the water. There is a fairly brief educational video and presentation by a trainer and then into the water! They swam around us, gave us "kisses", let us feel their teeth and skin, "danced" with us, let us hug them, quite a bit of contact and interaction. Then we each did a "push" where they put their noses against your feet and push you quickly across the lagoon. Finally, they did some amazing tricks and played with the trainers. There are other options available varying the exposure/contact with the dolphins (and sea lions). But for us, the athleticism and playfulness of the dolphins was the key in doing something with them. And the pictures and video are priceless. The stingray encounters are neat and probably more appropriate for younger kids. The highlight is feeding and touching them. For adults...meh. Next time we may do the snorkeling cruise.

The most important thing is to know what your child can and can't do, and how they handle certain situations and book something appropriate. You can cancel excursions up to 3 days prior to sailing. After that, you may be stuck.

Thanks for the awesome report on this excursion. I especially appreciated the part about the girl being afraid, I can just see my DD freaking out and not wanting to participate. Definitely something to think about before-hand!!! It sounds so cool, worth the investment! I think we are going to try the sting ray encounter, I'm sure after taking our first Disney cruise we will be back and can save the dolphins for our next trip!

Thanks SMruph :). Your post is so helpful. I think we might be doing the stringray encounter this go round. She is a good swimmer, just don't know how she would react to them beeing in water with her and it is pricey. And good to know that we can cancel excursions up to 3 days before too. Can't wait to get on ship now...not sure if we can wait the 11mos...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter