Dec 15/16 vs 21/22

pharmama

DIS Veteran
Have always wanted to go to DLR (like since I was a kid) on/around my birthday (12/15) and see the holiday stuff etc.

I might be able to talk DH into it this year but I'm so worried about the crowds. I could go on my actual bday (though the date isn't that big a deal to me) and the day after (15 and 16) which is a weekend. The other option is my oldest DD's winter break starts Fri 12/21 so we could go Dec 21 and 22 instead.

Does anyone think there will be an appreciable crowd difference between these two sets of dates? I'm figuring most other kids will also be starting break that Friday and it will be just like a weekend day? I'm off that whole week+ (12/15 through Christmas day) but there's no way DH will let me pull DD1 out of school to go to DLR (trip will likely be just dd1 and I) and I can't say I disagree with him no matter how much I want to go ;)

On most occasions, the closer you get to the holiday, the more crowded it is going to be. I would also assume that the first date would have less people, b/c kids are still in school. Once everyone is on break, everyone wants to go to vacation! :)

The 15th and 16th are the last weekend days before Christmas that Deluxe and SoCal APs can go, so I think the 2 weekends might be fairly comparable. Any chance you can go the 8th and 9th to have an early birthday celebration? I have a SoCal AP and am planning to go the 9th. Whatever date you choose, I am sure you will have a fabulous time as the holiday atmosphere at DLR is so magical.

I'm currently torn between the 8th/9th and 15th/16th myself.

I originally picked the 15h because it's the last Saturday that Deluxe AP holders (which I am) can get in before the holidays, but then I realized that there might be a mad rush on that date with people trying to get in at the last minute.

So then I moved to the 8th to hopefully avoid a few crowds. But I checked the DLH AP discounts and a hotel room on the 8th is more expensive than the 15th. (The 8th and the 22nd are actually the same price.) Plus TouringPlans (though we've all learned to take them with a grain of salt) is listing the 15th as being a level 7 and the 8th (and the 22nd!) as a 9.

I figure there has to be some reason why the hotel rooms AND the crowd levels on the 15th are lower, but I just don't know what it is and it's driving me nuts. (I'm the kind of person who needs an explanation for everything. LOL) I made another post about this and no one knew of anything. I was wondering if maybe DL is closing early that night for a private event, but would they do that on a Saturday so close to Christmas?

Thanks for the AP info- didn't think of that aspect! Sounds like both dates might be pretty close as I already feared. I have to work the weekend of the 8th/9th unfortunately so that isn't an option for us.

Hmmm... maybe I'll investigate hotel availability and see if that decides for me :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter