Debt Dumpers 2022

@pblack Although the thread has been pretty quiet lately, I love how you post frequent updates and summaries of where you are in your goals, challenges you've got, and fun treats you allow yourself to make the budgeting still enjoyable.

I am in a weird place. I received a very serious cancer diagnosis this summer and am in treatment. I really can't work right now but was super pleased to find out that I do have a fully paid, six month medical leave of absence benefit that was approved once my oncologist submitted the paper work. So, for now, I am saving in the same categories as I was previous to learning this news in mid-July. But in a couple of months I will have to decide what I am going to do next: move to Long Term Disability where I receive 60% of my salary but maintain some key benefits for 18 months OR retire 1.5 years ahead of being eligible for full SS. I did turn 65 this summer (in the hospital) so I can go on Medicare then. I would have to get my daughter a health policy from the market place to tide her over until she hopefully gets her first teaching job this coming fall. Of course, I could end up choosing to go back to work in January-- I have to see how some tests turn out later this fall. I confess to feeling very tired from chemo and that choice does not sound appealing at the moment.

I have a good friend who retired from my institution a couple of years ago and she is doing a lot of leg and phone work for me about this while I am immersed in medical stuff. She is also just more savvy about SS, Medicare, TIAA, etc. than I am, so I am grateful to have her assistance and guidance on this.

In either the case of Disability or retirement, I will be living on less. I can do the monthly bills since I am pretty frugal but the big savings I was doing monthly will be whittled way down. I was planning on retiring in the summer of 2024, so it is not a huge difference --but this is just another lesson about how life is fluid, changeable, etc. We have to play the cards we are dealt. I have to jump into legal things like my daughter inheriting probably a lot sooner than I would have thought (if I even gave it a lot of thought, honestly) what I have to do to set up for that, etc. Yet, I am in fighting mode, so I am working hard on not getting ahead of myself. Prepare one thing at a time. Keep living life. Saving what I can, haha!

Anyway, that is the reason I am so quiet on a thread that I still read every day and appreciate. I think of @pblack as our leader now who keeps the conversations going. Thank you Patsy (and I know your name is not "Patsy," haha. I just know a woman named Patsy Black and so that name has popped into my head since you first came on aboard)! I mean it with affection and appreciation for your postings.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis. I'm definitely keeping you in my thoughts and hope you get some relief soon from the chemo. How wonderful to have a friend like that to help you!! The healthcare/health insurance systems in this country are INSANE and you literally need someone helping you through that stuff when you're focusing on your own medical needs.

Hello all! Been a long time since I updated here. Everything has been going pretty well on our end, though my goals for the year have changed slightly.

On our personal front, life has been good. DH changed jobs recently which was unexpected (though by choice!) and is working out really well so far. He is back to traveling more, which is what he wanted. He always traveled for work prior to covid, so the last two and a half years have been unusual in terms of him being home. Plus now we're getting to rack up more hotel and airline points!

We traveled to DL in September with BIL for a long weekend trip and had a great time. We actually didn't do too bad on spending since we had Disney GCs. Obviously I had spent money on those before, but it was mostly through at least 10% offers on my credit cards. The only real money we spent out of pocket was Ubers to and from LAX, and one meal at Black Tap because they don't accept GCs. I love Black Tap though, so I didn't mind lol.

Things have been good financially, though I confess that I have not been doing the extra principal payments on my mortgage the last couple months. Instead, we've been investing significantly more as stocks are "on sale." We've grown our investment amounts through principal contributions by a considerable amount this year, which I'm very happy with. While the stock market is terrible right now, I'm looking forward to a longterm return.

Our rest of the year plans are fairly lowkey. We have two more trips planned to NYC this year. My mom and I are going in two weeks. We were originally planning to take this trip next spring to go see Phantom of the Opera, but while I was in DL I found out that they're ending the show in February! I couldn't believe it. I know my mom would love it and I feel like it's one of those shows that should be seen in NYC, so I threw together a quick trip for us. NYC is only an hour and a half plane ride away for us, so we're flying up that Saturday morning and flying home Sunday night. DH and I are actually planning to do the same trip in December for his birthday as well. We'll be seeing the Rockettes and enjoying the Christmas decorations.

Hope everyone is well! Can't believe we're already entering the holiday season...

Thanks so much for those good thoughts, @DisneyMandC.

Yes, another friend and colleague of mine went to bat with my insurance company for me to get this partiuclar immunotherapy drug approved. They had been dragging their feet, not returning phone calls, etc. because the drug (FDA approved for my cancer) is so expensive. He put heat on our HR director who put heat on BCBS and finally it was approved, one treatment late, but I was so relieved. They had not been answering all the phone messages left by my oncologist.

It is INSANE, for sure. A person has to advocate (or get friends and family to help do so) for themselves, all the while paying the premiums regularly (in my case, for 30 years). This is the first large claim I have ever put forth in three decades.

It has been quite awhile. I'm not sure when I last posted. I was either house hunting or had already purchased a house? I'm not sure so I'll just summarize.

I bought a house back in June! A nice cute home - a good starter home (small) but that was very updated. Well within my budget. We also got a puppy that same month! His name is Kuma and he's currently 5.5 months. He's a special needs GSD (he has mild megaesophagus). Puppies are expensive, but special needs puppies are SOOOO expensive.

I also just quit my job two days ago and put in 2.5 weeks notice. It's been a LONG time coming. They were severely underpaying me and continuously adding more and more work. I rage applied to a new job and after 3 interviews was pleasantly surprised with an offer that is 50% higher than my current salary! I start in November!!!! I'll also be getting a manager's bonus every year somewhere between 7-10.5% of my base salary. I'm so excited but also so nervous. It's a huge step up.

Once I start and get an idea of what my take home pay will be, I'm going to have to completely overhaul my budget. More saving, obviously, but I also need to anticipate bigger student loan payments and the like. It's been a crazy year.

It has been quite awhile. I'm not sure when I last posted. I was either house hunting or had already purchased a house? I'm not sure so I'll just summarize.

I bought a house back in June! A nice cute home - a good starter home (small) but that was very updated. Well within my budget. We also got a puppy that same month! His name is Kuma and he's currently 5.5 months. He's a special needs GSD (he has mild megaesophagus). Puppies are expensive, but special needs puppies are SOOOO expensive.

I also just quit my job two days ago and put in 2.5 weeks notice. It's been a LONG time coming. They were severely underpaying me and continuously adding more and more work. I rage applied to a new job and after 3 interviews was pleasantly surprised with an offer that is 50% higher than my current salary! I start in November!!!! I'll also be getting a manager's bonus every year somewhere between 7-10.5% of my base salary. I'm so excited but also so nervous. It's a huge step up.

Once I start and get an idea of what my take home pay will be, I'm going to have to completely overhaul my budget. More saving, obviously, but I also need to anticipate bigger student loan payments and the like. It's been a crazy year.
Congratulations!! Thats a lot of good news!! I think we need a puppy pic. ;)

We had a yellow lab that had megaesophagus towards the end of his life as he got older. We had special meds for him and he ate upright which helped a lot. It’s a manageable illness but just requires some tlc and the right vet since it’s not very common. There’s a ton of support pages on FB and other sm with pet parents that have dogs with mega E. Good luck to you with your new home and puppy. Such an exciting time!

Thanks so much for those good thoughts, @DisneyMandC.

Yes, another friend and colleague of mine went to bat with my insurance company for me to get this particular immunotherapy drug approved. They had been dragging their feet, not returning phone calls, etc. because the drug (FDA approved for my cancer) is so expensive. He put heat on our HR director who put heat on BCBS and finally it was approved, one treatment late, but I was so relieved. They had not been answering all the phone messages left by my oncologist.

It is INSANE, for sure. A person has to advocate (or get friends and family to help do so) for themselves, all the while paying the premiums regularly (in my case, for 30 years). This is the first large claim I have ever put forth in three decades.

Sending prayers for you. Sometimes I feel like insurance is like HR in the fact that they aren't there for you first.

Hello all! Been a long time since I updated here. Everything has been going pretty well on our end, though my goals for the year have changed slightly.

On our personal front, life has been good. DH changed jobs recently which was unexpected (though by choice!) and is working out really well so far. He is back to traveling more, which is what he wanted. He always traveled for work prior to covid, so the last two and a half years have been unusual in terms of him being home. Plus now we're getting to rack up more hotel and airline points!

We traveled to DL in September with BIL for a long weekend trip and had a great time. We actually didn't do too bad on spending since we had Disney GCs. Obviously I had spent money on those before, but it was mostly through at least 10% offers on my credit cards. The only real money we spent out of pocket was Ubers to and from LAX, and one meal at Black Tap because they don't accept GCs. I love Black Tap though, so I didn't mind lol.

Things have been good financially, though I confess that I have not been doing the extra principal payments on my mortgage the last couple months. Instead, we've been investing significantly more as stocks are "on sale." We've grown our investment amounts through principal contributions by a considerable amount this year, which I'm very happy with. While the stock market is terrible right now, I'm looking forward to a longterm return.

Our rest of the year plans are fairly lowkey. We have two more trips planned to NYC this year. My mom and I are going in two weeks. We were originally planning to take this trip next spring to go see Phantom of the Opera, but while I was in DL I found out that they're ending the show in February! I couldn't believe it. I know my mom would love it and I feel like it's one of those shows that should be seen in NYC, so I threw together a quick trip for us. NYC is only an hour and a half plane ride away for us, so we're flying up that Saturday morning and flying home Sunday night. DH and I are actually planning to do the same trip in December for his birthday as well. We'll be seeing the Rockettes and enjoying the Christmas decorations.

Hope everyone is well! Can't believe we're already entering the holiday season...
Great job.

It may be a little early, but I thought I'd start up the debt dumping thread for 2022! Please continue to post your 2021 recaps on the 2021 board, but as you're working on your goals for 2022 post them here!

If you're new to the debt dumping thread, welcome! We're a friendly bunch who encourage each other in their wins and losses. No negativity allowed here! Most of us post a mixture of our debt dumping goals and personal goals, but it's not a requirement! Please post whatever you feel comfortable with and let us help cheer you on. :cheer2::cheer2:
Love it! We always pay cash now. We enjoy it so much more knowing it's paid for!

The Wright

It's been a bit! Been a busy couple months between trips and going back to work.

Mid October Update
$2000 $1000 Maternity leave cushion -
1/1: $750
7/1: $1000
Complete

This is going away now that I'm back at work. Original plan was to supplement any short checks and the rest moves to another goal. I ended up short as I mentioned in a post from my PTO being applied differently etc, BUT since we do YNAB's budget last month's income thing, and DH got an extremely large commission payout, plus it was a 3 paycheck month for us both, I did not use this to top off my "income" as I'd planned. I think I may roll it all into the baby category.

Baby/Maternity Items -
1/1: Didn't exist
10/14: Still positive
I'm starting to fine tune this category a bit - it has its own section in YNAB, and now I'm starting to split it out for supplies ie diapers, etc, 529 savings, daycare costs. My wonderful in laws are watching the baby and we're working out what we'll pay - mainly DH and I have a number in mind and now we need to argue with in laws about it. I have a feeling they won't take the full amount...

$35,000 $20,000 Barn savings -
1/1: $6779
10/14 $37,995 (+$31216 change since beginning of year, 109% of goal)
So 2 months of commissions and the 3 paycheck month....

Grocery/Eating out budget -
Grocery Oct: 5% remaining
Months under budget: 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙂
Eating Out Oct: 39% remaining
Months under budget: 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙂
Grocery still doesn't look good. I really need to do some more meal planning to help here even with the price increases on everything.

Budget Meetings - minimum monthly
Months with meetings: 🙃 🙂 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃
Still not doing well here - same.

Later I will add a picture of little miss, who is now somehow 6 months old 😭

Beginning of August Update
$2000 $1000 Maternity leave cushion -
1/1: $750
7/1: $1000
Complete

Baby/Maternity Items -
1/1: Didn't exist
8/1: Still positive
Was productive here and opened a 529 account and deposited all the cash gifts we received from people. Our state matches up to $5k over the first 5 years.

$35,000 $20,000 Barn savings -
1/1: $6779
8/1: $27,456 (+$20677 change since beginning of year, 78% of goal)
DH had a small commission payout. I thought I'd get a few hundred dollars in July from our Q1 bonus, you have to complete certain things each quarter so I did finish the first before my maternity leave. But I didn't.. so I guess I need to double check paystubs and emails there.

Grocery/Eating out budget -
Grocery July: 50??% OVER
Months under budget: 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙃 🙃 🙃
Eating Out July: 16% OVER
Months under budget: 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙃 🙃
I can't even talk about groceries haha. We got a grill in June finally so have grilled steaks and chicken a lot... my grandpa came to visit so we picked up some things for that... for August I gave us a slightly higher budget anyways and hopefully can do some freezer/ pantry eating... I think poor planning and price increases were our main issues this month. We also picked up dinner more freely this month. I did buy a restaurant gift card for fuel points that we haven't used yet, so without that we would have just been under budget.

Budget Meetings - minimum monthly
Months with meetings: 🙃 🙂 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃 🙃
Still not doing well here

This month had my grandpas rescheduled visit (went home Tues),my brother in laws family visit (going home today) and later in the month we are making one more trip to Nebraska. So round 2 practicing packing for my little munchkin.

View attachment 691183

I think this is an appropriate tiktok for this thread. (Hopefully this is allowed.) https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRHyqm6R/

I love the idea/concept, but it wouldn't work for me since I never use cash lol. Going to the bank is way too much of a hassle for me.
It looks cute and sparkly but way too much work. Separate envelopes for Snacks and Refreshments? Sounds like she just likes to make envelopes. Lol

It looks cute and sparkly but way too much work. Separate envelopes for Snacks and Refreshments? Sounds like she just likes to make envelopes. Lol

I wonder if snacks are snacks and refreshments are adult drinks? I'd definitely need separate budgets for each if i was paying cash. Lol. Those adult drinks sure do add up quick and I wouldn't want it eating into my mickey pretzel fund. 🤣🤣

You're right. I hadn’t thought of that.
We stopped drinking, not strictly, when we quit smoking 26 yrs ago. We were afraid if we had a few, we’d get weak and then have a cigarette. After a couple years, we gradually a had a few drinks but realized we’ve kind of lost the taste for alcohol.
We’ll have maybe 2 each on a cruise but I’d never have to budget for it. Now my brother and SIL, whew! they could book another cruise with what they spend on drinking. To each his own.

You're right. I hadn’t thought of that.
We stopped drinking, not strictly, when we quit smoking 26 yrs ago. We were afraid if we had a few, we’d get weak and then have a cigarette. After a couple years, we gradually a had a few drinks but realized we’ve kind of lost the taste for alcohol.
We’ll have maybe 2 each on a cruise but I’d never have to budget for it. Now my brother and SIL, whew! they could book another cruise with what they spend on drinking. To each his own.
I'm 33 but never got into drinking - would have the occasional margarita or beer but honestly, never found it worth my $$.
pretzels - i'm all in :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter