• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers - 2016

This isn't so much a debt dumping comment as a general spending comment, but man do I feel like we've gone through some money on groceries lately! DH and I are really trying to commit to not eating out as often, and have done pretty well over the last couple weeks. I feel like we just spent a ton of money on groceries, and already we were out of lunch meat this morning and literally didn't have a thing I could bring in for lunch. I'm going to have to go to the grocery store again this weekend when I was hoping to make our trip last Saturday last a pretty good chunk of time. DH and I realized this morning that part of the reason we've been going through groceries so much is because we're not eating out though, so I guess technically we are saving money that way. I just feel like we need to meal plan and strategize with our food better. That way I can dump some more debt! (See, I worked debt in there).

I think a well stocked pantry makes a big difference. Check out our own @stayhomemom77 thread on her $10/wk pantry stocking:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ten-bucks-a-week.3458374/

I like getting a lot when it's cheap. I'm pretty much spending the same every week, but getting more for my money by stocking on the sale cycles.

This isn't so much a debt dumping comment as a general spending comment, but man do I feel like we've gone through some money on groceries lately! DH and I are really trying to commit to not eating out as often, and have done pretty well over the last couple weeks. I feel like we just spent a ton of money on groceries, and already we were out of lunch meat this morning and literally didn't have a thing I could bring in for lunch. I'm going to have to go to the grocery store again this weekend when I was hoping to make our trip last Saturday last a pretty good chunk of time. DH and I realized this morning that part of the reason we've been going through groceries so much is because we're not eating out though, so I guess technically we are saving money that way. I just feel like we need to meal plan and strategize with our food better. That way I can dump some more debt! (See, I worked debt in there).

Planning on what to cook as well as what to spend on it is key. We have always been excellent with money, no debt of any kind except mortgage and we paid that off in just a few years. I used to budget religiously, but I succumbed to the belief that this is so second nature to us it really was no longer necessary. Then, a few months ago we emptied savings and took out a huge loan (HELOC) for a business property, and all of the sudden I am thinking "oh well, we can draw a little more off of it to buy this..." This went on for a couple of months, and then a few weeks ago I sat down and added up what we spent on groceries (we rarely eat out), and it was almost $1000 (includes paper products, ranging supplies, etc). When I used a budget, I never went over $400-500/ month for our family of 5. I immediately started YNAB again, and I haven't even spent $100 in groceries in 2 weeks, and we are eating better than ever.

Sorry for the long response, but if you set a budget and plan meals to stick to that budget, you will feel much better about spending at the grocery store. Especially if you're budgeting the eating out, too, because they'll balance out.

Thanks guys! Yeah, we try to stockpile items when they go on sale since I coupon as well, so we've been successful on building up some stuff in our stores, but there's definitely room for improvement. Part of our problem is we can't keep but so much on hand because our house is so small. Our "pantry" is an approximately 5'x12" wide cabinet that fits under stairs. We only have a couple cabinets, so we store food there as well, but it's tough to fit too much in. I am going to make a costco trip this weekend though so I can bulk buy some things. I would definitely like to go to the grocery store less! I HATE having to shop on a weeknight because then I feel like by the time I get home, unpack, etc., it's time for bed.

I definitely think we need to start the casserole plan again too. I know that works well for us, we just need to get our butts off the couch on the weekend and make some meals. DH made a potato cheese casserole the other week and it was phenomenal and I ate off it all week long. Just hard to find the motivation sometimes, but lack of money is definitely good for a kick in the butt!

Planning on what to cook as well as what to spend on it is key. We have always been excellent with money, no debt of any kind except mortgage and we paid that off in just a few years. I used to budget religiously, but I succumbed to the belief that this is so second nature to us it really was no longer necessary. Then, a few months ago we emptied savings and took out a huge loan (HELOC) for a business property, and all of the sudden I am thinking "oh well, we can draw a little more off of it to buy this..." This went on for a couple of months, and then a few weeks ago I sat down and added up what we spent on groceries (we rarely eat out), and it was almost $1000 (includes paper products, ranging supplies, etc). When I used a budget, I never went over $400-500/ month for our family of 5. I immediately started YNAB again, and I haven't even spent $100 in groceries in 2 weeks, and we are eating better than ever.

Sorry for the long response, but if you set a budget and plan meals to stick to that budget, you will feel much better about spending at the grocery store. Especially if you're budgeting the eating out, too, because they'll balance out.

We just finished our first full month on YNAB! We are definitely enjoying it so far. Last month was sort of an anomaly for us since we had a four day trip to CA, so we were eating out a lot and definitely went over budget in that department. I'm looking forward to getting a better grasp on our spending and budgeting appropriately this month. Part of our problem us we really have never budgeted before. We've been fortunate enough to always afford what we need, so we've never really kept track. So even setting an amount in YNAB, I'm still sort of like "I guess this is what we spend?" We're getting better though. DH is finally starting to get more excited about it and paying off his car.

I think a well stocked pantry makes a big difference. Check out our own @stayhomemom77 thread on her $10/wk pantry stocking:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/ten-bucks-a-week.3458374/

I like getting a lot when it's cheap. I'm pretty much spending the same every week, but getting more for my money by stocking on the sale cycles.

Thanks for that link. I'm going to check it out as well.

Another way I have started to save money is avoiding Walmart, Target, etc. While they may have my groceries at a cheaper rate, I always get suckered into buying other things. If I stick to a grocery store for groceries (and have a list), I do so much better.

I definitely think we need to start the casserole plan again too. I know that works well for us, we just need to get our butts off the couch on the weekend and make some meals. DH made a potato cheese casserole the other week and it was phenomenal and I ate off it all week long. Just hard to find the motivation sometimes, but lack of money is definitely good for a kick in the butt!

I have been looking up freezer meals and want to try to start doing a few of those (I don't have a lot of space) to help out with making money go a little further as well.

Thanks for that link. I'm going to check it out as well.

Another way I have started to save money is avoiding Walmart, Target, etc. While they may have my groceries at a cheaper rate, I always get suckered into buying other things. If I stick to a grocery store for groceries (and have a list), I do so much better.

I definitely have to stay out of Target! DH and I went in the other day to purchase some frames since we're still working on decorating our house and I had about $40 in gift cards saved. While there I picked up a planner, an adult coloring book, and colored pencils. Fortunately I put them all back down. They were all in the little dollar section they have there at the front, which is my weakness.

I have been looking up freezer meals and want to try to start doing a few of those (I don't have a lot of space) to help out with making money go a little further as well.

I mentioned something to DH about doing freezer meals this morning that we could just put in the crockpot, but he didn't seem very interested. He is the only one that cooks since I'm hopeless. I feel like if we did some freezer meals, I could at least help with some of the prep (you know, the dumping the stuff in the bag part!) since I feel bad he has to come home every night and cook. He loves to cook and I love to clean though, so I guess it balances out.

I mentioned something to DH about doing freezer meals this morning that we could just put in the crockpot, but he didn't seem very interested. He is the only one that cooks since I'm hopeless. I feel like if we did some freezer meals, I could at least help with some of the prep (you know, the dumping the stuff in the bag part!) since I feel bad he has to come home every night and cook. He loves to cook and I love to clean though, so I guess it balances out.

I've looked at other ones besides crock pot too...casseroles and such.

My hardest part with food is making sure I have something easy to have for lunch. This semester all of my classes are online, so I'm home most afternoons. We don't often have leftovers (if we do have leftovers, they are generally sent with my daughter to school). Today, as with every other day this week, I've been rushing through my homework and housework and realized at 2pm I haven't eaten anything. I guess when I don't have my boyfriend or my daughter whining about being hungry, I don't realize I'm hungry. I so badly wanted to order something, but I know I have a house full of food! However, it's all ingredients, and I'm horrible about making myself food when I'm alone.

My hardest part with food is making sure I have something easy to have for lunch. This semester all of my classes are online, so I'm home most afternoons. We don't often have leftovers (if we do have leftovers, they are generally sent with my daughter to school). Today, as with every other day this week, I've been rushing through my homework and housework and realized at 2pm I haven't eaten anything. I guess when I don't have my boyfriend or my daughter whining about being hungry, I don't realize I'm hungry. I so badly wanted to order something, but I know I have a house full of food! However, it's all ingredients, and I'm horrible about making myself food when I'm alone.

My go-to for that situation is eggs. I can scramble or fry an egg quick with a piece of wheat toast and/or fruit.

My go to is cereal, I eat it mostly when I'm alone. DH has a variable schedule, so it's often a dinner for me.

Just had a bowl of cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats) for dinner tonight! Need to go grocery shopping this weekend, lol.

I love cereal! I am constantly munching on that. I am addicted to the Special K cinnamon pecan cereal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter