Debt Dumpers - 2015

I think there had been a couple questions on here recently of people wondering how opening a new credit card or closing one would affect their credit. I use credit karma to check my credit score and got an email this morning about a new tool they have to see what your credit score would look like if you take out a loan, open a credit card, or close a credit card. I don't pay for this service, so thought it might be helpful to some of you!

So we went through our budget again (and spending) and cut a few tiny little things. Nothing significant but it's a few extra bucks.
We get the dollar shave club blades (hubby and I share, their blades are awesome and a fraction of the cost of ones in the store) and we were getting a delivery every month. Now we have a ton so we changed it to every other month. Amount saved=$7.29 every other month instead of every month
He cancelled unblock us, which is this web service that allows us to view US content from our Canadian IP. Amount saved=$4.99.
I went to cancel our Next Issue subscription and they begged me to stay, slashing their rates by 50% for the next 3 months. Amount saved=$5 x 3 months and then when that is up I'll cancel entirely ;-)

We leave for our cruise and DLR trip on Sunday, woohoo!! We've got a spending budget for the ship as well as Disneyland (food, souvenirs there) so hoping we can stick to it.
Have a Wonderful cruise!

Thanks for the suggestion, this sounds a like a budget kind of. I've read the Dave Ramsey books, are the Vaz-Oxlade books kinda the same as his?

In my opinion, the Vaz Oxlade ones are a little bit more realistic as far as you don't cut everything out of your life. She believes you should get out of debt in a maximum of three years. If you google her you can find her website and there is a bunch of helpful stuff including spread sheets and things to help you figure out a budget. She uses jars instead of envelopes. she does a cash system as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, this sounds a like a budget kind of. I've read the Dave Ramsey books, are the Vaz-Oxlade books kinda the same as his?
I don't read Dave Ramsey, so I don't know, other than the fact that he puts religion into it, which is why I don't read him. Gail is blunt and kind of in your face if you know what I mean. Abrasive, but she knows her stuff. I like her.

Just when you think you're getting ahead....dropped the "good" car for an oil change and they just called to say they are recommending brakes and a couple other things done, to the tune of $500. I said go ahead bc this is the car we use for commuting (DH and I usually commute on alternate days) and we need it to be safe, but really? I feel like every time we bring a car in for something minor, there's a whole lot more that needs doing. That said, we drive our cars until they die, so I guess we get our money's worth. Thanks for listening to my whine.

I think there had been a couple questions on here recently of people wondering how opening a new credit card or closing one would affect their credit. I use credit karma to check my credit score and got an email this morning about a new tool they have to see what your credit score would look like if you take out a loan, open a credit card, or close a credit card. I don't pay for this service, so thought it might be helpful to some of you!

I was one of the people on here recently wondering about a new car/how it affects credit (actually the card was for DH and he didn't end up applying). I wish something like credit karma existed in Canada :( then he could've known for sure.

I was one of the people on here recently wondering about a new car/how it affects credit (actually the card was for DH and he didn't end up applying). I wish something like credit karma existed in Canada :( then he could've known for sure.

Aww dang. I haven't seen anything similar to that, but I'm sure there are other similar ones out there! Looks like you're close to your disney trip, by the way, have a great time!

It sounds like great news to me! Now you do understand what I will be expecting again....

I will do the best I can, but with the quick trip I'm not really planning to do the Memory Maker, and still not decided that I'll even take my laptop. So, probably not going to be updating quite as much this time.

So jealous!!! We stayed at Jambo in April. Absolutely beautiful!

Everything I've seen agrees with your assessment. This will be my first stay at AKL. I enjoyed my stay in Saratoga Springs a couple of years ago, and was REALLY impressed with Grand Californian last spring. I'm super excited about this trip coming up.

AWESOME! in all my trips, I still haven't even been to that resort for a visit! Our trip 2 weeks ago, I had a reservation at Boma, but had to cancel since we shortened or Disney stay. Maybe next time!?!?

Thanks. I've never really done the "resort touring" yet. I figure I'll experience them one by one as I vacation. Fingers crossed you get to experience it on your next visit.

Okay I need you guys advice. You are all so budget conscious I thought I would run this by the experts. We have Verizon Fios and pay 159.99 a month. ( cringe I know ) I can down grade our service from 420 channels to 320 and save 15 bucks a month. That part is a no brainer......however this is how it works. I am currently on a 24 month contract for 159.99 a month. If I switch today then I start a new 24 month plan. We have 14 months remaining then we will have to sign up for another special. Which I am pretty sure WILL BE MORE THAN 159.99 a month. If we switch today we get 144.99 for Months 1-14 and then it goes up to 164.99 a month which is 5 more bucks for 10 months than what we are paying now. The total spent with our current plan for 2 years is 3839.76 or new plan 3679.76 so a savings of 160 but 100 less channels. I know some of you will say DROP cable all together but that would never fly in this house with my husband and son. Is this worth doing even though in the end, the last 10 months we will jump up 20 bucks more a month from months 1-14. TIA

Last edited:
Just when you think you're getting ahead....dropped the "good" car for an oil change and they just called to say they are recommending brakes and a couple other things done, to the tune of $500. I said go ahead bc this is the car we use for commuting (DH and I usually commute on alternate days) and we need it to be safe, but really? I feel like every time we bring a car in for something minor, there's a whole lot more that needs doing. That said, we drive our cars until they die, so I guess we get our money's worth. Thanks for listening to my whine.

Ugh, I'm so sorry! My husband is a bit of a car guy which has been a budget saver - he knows when we really need things done vs when they want us to do them. More than once we have gotten home, popped the tires off and looked at my brakes, tires, belts etc to realize they have plenty of life left in them. When we DO need to do things it is so much cheaper to do it ourselves and is actually pretty easy to do on my 1997 Subaru - and I am NOT a car person or very handy at all usually with 'manly' things. Except the timing belt. I will happily pay someone else to do that monster for us next time, lol! We must be doing it right since my car just keeps going and going with no problems, knock on wood...!

Another minor milestone reached today (if embarrassing)... we just made our last payment on the 401K loan we took out when we bought our house three years ago! Having that righted feels even better than paying off the CC now that it can go back to its regularly "scheduled" compound interest dance! :)

I will do the best I can, but with the quick trip I'm not really planning to do the Memory Maker, and still not decided that I'll even take my laptop. So, probably not going to be updating quite as much this time..

Well maybe just a mini TR post trip :duck:??? I live vicariously thru you on all these trips....

So we went through our budget again (and spending) and cut a few tiny little things. Nothing significant but it's a few extra bucks.
We get the dollar shave club blades (hubby and I share, their blades are awesome and a fraction of the cost of ones in the store) and we were getting a delivery every month. Now we have a ton so we changed it to every other month. Amount saved=$7.29 every other month instead of every month
He cancelled unblock us, which is this web service that allows us to view US content from our Canadian IP. Amount saved=$4.99.
I went to cancel our Next Issue subscription and they begged me to stay, slashing their rates by 50% for the next 3 months. Amount saved=$5 x 3 months and then when that is up I'll cancel entirely ;-)

We leave for our cruise and DLR trip on Sunday, woohoo!! We've got a spending budget for the ship as well as Disneyland (food, souvenirs there) so hoping we can stick to it.

Good job on finding more savings!

I'm jealous of this upcoming trip! I hope that you have an awesome trip. Maybe you may want to do a TR post trip too....:duck:

Okay I need you guys advice. You are all so budget conscious I thought I would run this by the experts. We have Verizon Fios and pay 159.99 a month. ( cringe I know ) I can down grade our service from 420 channels to 320 and save 15 bucks a month. That part is a no brainer......however this is how it works. I am currently on a 24 month contract for 159.99 a month. If I switch today then I start a new 24 month plan. We have 14 months remaining then we will have to sign up for another special. Which I am pretty sure WILL BE MORE THAN 159.99 a month. If we switch today we get 144.99 for Months 1-14 and then it goes up to 164.99 a month which is 5 more bucks for 10 months than what we are paying now. The total spent with our current plan for 2 years is 3839.76 or new plan 3679.76 so a savings of 160 but 100 less channels. I know some of you will say DROP cable all together but that would never fly in this house with my husband and son. Is this worth doing even though in the end, the last 10 months we will jump up 20 bucks more a month from months 1-14. TIA

I have no answer, this makes my head hurt just thinking about it!!

Is this just cable or internet and/or home phone too?

Do you watch these 100 extra channels? No matter what after your original 24 month contract the $159.99 would go up unless there's a new special?

Good job on finding more savings!

I'm jealous of this upcoming trip! I hope that you have an awesome trip. Maybe you may want to do a TR post trip too....:duck:

:thanks:I'm definitely going to try my hand at a TR, for the cruise anyway! I had a hard time finding any info out about my particular cruise so I thought this would be my opportunity to do a TR :) :sail:

I'm thinking to just finish out your current contract and then try to get a better rate to renew. Maybe even shop around.

:thanks:I'm definitely going to try my hand at a TR, for the cruise anyway! I had a hard time finding any info out about my particular cruise so I thought this would be my opportunity to do a TR :) :sail:

Yea!!! pixiedust::worship:

Do you have a link started?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter