Debt Dumpers - 2015

Did the neighbors ever come over and say anything? Did you have to go through your insurance company?

Nope, to this day the neighbors have never been over. We've gone through our home owners insurance & are responsible for the $1,000 deductible :scared1:

Nope, to this day the neighbors have never been over. We've gone through our home owners insurance & are responsible for the $1,000 deductible :scared1:

Thankfully you have the lower deductible - it's better than having to pay the full cost I can't believe they didn't have the courtesy just to make sure your ok.

That's pretty unbelievable to me. Too bad there are people like this out there who are all about taking care of themselves. They'd better hope their neighbors treat them a lot better if they ever find themselves in an emergency situation.

Thankfully you have the lower deductible - it's better than having to pay the full cost I can't believe they didn't have the courtesy just to make sure your ok.

That's pretty unbelievable to me. Too bad there are people like this out there who are all about taking care of themselves. They'd better hope their neighbors treat them a lot better if they ever find themselves in an emergency situation.

I was raised with the golden rule..do onto others.. If a tree fell on their house I'd be over there right away to check plus call 911. I'm glad God was watching over me since my neighbors weren't...

Seriously? That sucks.....all around. Honestly, what is wrong with these people? =(

What kind of hair products do you use? I have thick curly hair as well and have a problem maintaining the frizz!! Would love to find products that work. I wish I could find something where I didn't have to have crunchy hair to try to maintain the frizz!
I use Paul Mitchel original shampoo, when my hair is wet, after my shower I use Paul Mitchel Thicken Up product and I put it in the palm of my hand and mix it with Garnier extra sleek and shine leave in conditioner. Sometimes I don't get the mixture right, and my hair frizzes up still, especially hot, humid days.

This was hard for me, but put yourself on a "no clothes buy" for one year. It is sort of liberating not shopping for yourself. Wear what is in your closet. We moved to a new home and I found out I had a ton of clothes. I packed away Seasonal clothes and when we moved, I was embarrassed to actually see how much I had. So I put myself in the "no buy zone". Kids need clothes, since they grow out of clothes fast. But do you notice they wear the same clothes every 3 days, since you wash clothes often? Commit to only shop for them 3 times a year. We used to school shop for clothes in May/June when winter clothes were marked down, then we would hit the clearance rack for summer clothes when school clothes came out in Auguest. another good time to buy clothes is after Christmas, with all the returns and then it hits the clearance racks. With shampoo's I consider that a staple. if I don't get good hair products, I look like "the The Freeze Mister, I have very thick curly hair, that is one thing I do not scrimp on, hair products.

Thank you so much! I think those are wonderful ideas. I am a curly girl too! Just started purchasing the Deva Curl products and used my Amazon gift card so it cost be about $10. There's a start! Another thing I did recently was give the kids all the fun cookbooks and had them pick out lunches and dinners. The excitement kept us from eating out all week which I know saved us quite a bit. I also went to a store to buy one thing, which usually turns into walking out with ten, but I resisted and I have to say that if felt great! The feeling of working towards something is really encouraging.

Thank you so much! I think those are wonderful ideas. I am a curly girl too! Just started purchasing the Deva Curl products and used my Amazon gift card so it cost be about $10. There's a start! Another thing I did recently was give the kids all the fun cookbooks and had them pick out lunches and dinners. The excitement kept us from eating out all week which I know saved us quite a bit. I also went to a store to buy one thing, which usually turns into walking out with ten, but I resisted and I have to say that if felt great! The feeling of working towards something is really encouraging.

Great idea having the kids reviewing the cookbooks!

Seriously? That sucks.....all around. Honestly, what is wrong with these people? =(

Thanks! I'm trying to look at the positives now since they're idiots, lol. I am getting a whole new roof for the $1,000 deductible, it would normally be $8,000, though I didn't need one yet. Of course I worry our insurance will go up!!! We've never had a home claim ever, so I hope not since this is an act of God!!!!!!!

I just looked up the deva curl products. Have you started using them yet? The reviews are amazing. There is a salon that I go to for my routine eye brow waxing and I see their part of deva curl. Thinking of making an appointment for a cut and training session!

I just looked up the deva curl products. Have you started using them yet? The reviews are amazing. There is a salon that I go to for my routine eye brow waxing and I see their part of deva curl. Thinking of making an appointment for a cut and training session!

Gracie1, they work very well but I have not tried the styling products, just the shampoo and conditioner. So far, so good! My cousin swears by their products.

Thanks! I'm trying to look at the positives now since they're idiots, lol. I am getting a whole new roof for the $1,000 deductible, it would normally be $8,000, though I didn't need one yet. Of course I worry our insurance will go up!!! We've never had a home claim ever, so I hope not since this is an act of God!!!!!!!
Well that's a great way to put a positive twist on a negative situation. We were in the midst of saving for a new roof when I first discovered this thread back in spring of 2013. Even with adding all of our tax refund that year, it seemed insurmountable. Of course our snowball was very small back then. I'm glad it's done but you're right, it's close to $8k for a roof. One estimate was over $9k.
One less thing to worry about the next 20-30 years.

Try not to stress over your rates going up. A few years ago we had a major storm come through. The whole neighborhood was hit hard. We were with out power for 4 days so in addition to needing a new roof from the hail damage the insurance company also took care of the patio furniture and everything we lost in the fridge and freezer. Our rates did go up. But the increase was only $18.00 a month.

Well that's a great way to put a positive twist on a negative situation. We were in the midst of saving for a new roof when I first discovered this thread back in spring of 2013. Even with adding all of our tax refund that year, it seemed insurmountable. Of course our snowball was very small back then. I'm glad it's done but you're right, it's close to $8k for a roof. One estimate was over $9k.
One less thing to worry about the next 20-30 years.

The $8k was just a rough guess on our part, I'm sure it could be more. I'm just trying stay positive!! Though I'm missing our grille....

Try not to stress over your rates going up. A few years ago we had a major storm come through. The whole neighborhood was hit hard. We were with out power for 4 days so in addition to needing a new roof from the hail damage the insurance company also took care of the patio furniture and everything we lost in the fridge and freezer. Our rates did go up. But the increase was only $18.00 a month.

Thanks! My bummer has been that it's my neighbors tree. My neighbor who never checked to see if I was alive.....

This doesn't sound like much at first but if you do the math:
$18/month = 216/year
If your premium was originally $900, that's a 24% increase.

To me, that's a large increase. Imagine if the price of gas jumped 24% overnight. That's like going from $2.50/gallon to $3.10.
It would be all over the news. :eek:

This doesn't sound like much at first but if you do the math:
$18/month = 216/year
If your premium was originally $900, that's a 24% increase.

To me, that's a large increase. Imagine if the price of gas jumped 24% overnight. That's like going from $2.50/gallon to $3.10.
It would be all over the news. :eek:

It adds up quick!!! Especially when it wasn't my tree...I know, I know, I can't let it go :duck:. Lol

We've been having an influx of increased monthly expenses lately. The cable goes up soon and I've called, it's the best rate there is for the package we want. (I've tried to cut back and my family did not like it). DS just made the team for a travel sport and there's another monthly fee through February. I've been paying monthly (no interest) on a PT bill that has a few more months left. DH and I booked a weekend away, just the two of us, so I've started stashing away for that. Plus I just got my first-ever speeding ticket in the mail. Sigh.

It's all fine, but just means we've had to readjust our (really my) expectations for using our short term savings for some of these bigger things. Or more accurately, calling it a "planned spending" account instead. So what I've been continuing to do is try to make sure we use up leftovers so we're not going out to eat as much, or if we do plan some meals out, don't buy as much at the store for the week. I've also picked up some freelancing. Not as much for the money as because I like the work and working with this person, but am saving that money for our weekend away.

Also, I inherited some money and while most of it will be put away for the kids' college and our emergency fund, we did pay half of the credit card balance with a small portion of it. Now it will be easier to plan to eliminate the rest (using the savings account....uh, I mean planned spending account ;) ) and cut the interest. We didn't pay the whole thing bc that would leave us less than the "round number" we've been using for funding the long term stuff. If that makes sense.

So while we are fine in the big picture, I'd really like to continue to cut debt and stop having surprises come up (like the sports thing -- fees were not listed on the website before he tried out and I didn't realize it would be 3+ times what the lesser level costs) when I thought I've planned for everything.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter