• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers - 2014

Congrats! That is awesome news! We paid off our Discover card on Friday, but I offically called and closed it today. :goodvibes On the down side, I am thinking that I am going to quit my second job soon. It is causing major issues on my mental well being, and I just don't think I can work 2 full times jobs for much longer. I'm sure this will make the progress much slower, but at the end of the day it will be what's best for my family.

Money is not the end all be all. I think you are making the right decision.

I paid my car off yesterday :woohoo: just don't tell my car that!! :lmao: and my DH starts his new job tomorrow so things are finally looking up hopefully we can have one more credit card paid off in the next few weeks!

Yay! :banana: I can't wait until dh's truck is paid off! It will be a while but we're getting there.

Congrats! That is awesome news!

We paid off our Discover card on Friday, but I offically called and closed it today. :goodvibes

On the down side, I am thinking that I am going to quit my second job soon. It is causing major issues on my mental well being, and I just don't think I can work 2 full times jobs for much longer. I'm sure this will make the progress much slower, but at the end of the day it will be what's best for my family.

I don't blame you. One can only work so much. Even back before I had kids I had a 2nd job 2 nights per week. It was great money but left me very stressed out. It lasted around 6 months. I'm already gone 55 hrs per week for my FT job once I factor in my lunch and commute time. I'd rather cut back on spending than work like a dog til I'm broken down & exhausted.

I get my bonus tomorrow which will pay off my trip so no new debt whoo hoo! My car is under $2k so I'll have that paid off fairly soon which is awesome!

DS's medical bills are now down to under $1k so its time to start making payments.

I'm hoping to be all but student loan debt free by Dec 31. I think it's an attainable goal if I stop eating out.

Congrats to all that have done such a great job dumping debt!!! It's been so helpful to read and keep my motivation.

I'm glad to hear things are getting better for you! :hug:

I paid my car off yesterday :woohoo: just don't tell my car that!! :lmao: and my DH starts his new job tomorrow so things are finally looking up hopefully we can have one more credit card paid off in the next few weeks!

Way to go!! Not having a car payment is the greatest (as mine sits in the shop waiting for an alternator!!) But I just look at it that I would rather have a $450 repair bill for the year than a monthly car payment :thumbsup2

Congrats! That is awesome news!

We paid off our Discover card on Friday, but I offically called and closed it today. :goodvibes

On the down side, I am thinking that I am going to quit my second job soon. It is causing major issues on my mental well being, and I just don't think I can work 2 full times jobs for much longer. I'm sure this will make the progress much slower, but at the end of the day it will be what's best for my family.

You most definitely need to do what is best for you and your health. Back in April I posted on here that my job had gotten so bad I couldn't even eat because of the stress. I left a full time year round job with benefits to a season job with no benefits. The plus side of this - I am so, so happy. I still have moments of panic that I will be unemployed for a few months until they reopen in the winter time. But the alternate plus side is my new boss lets me work as much as I want (I work 60 hours a week) and then I just stash as much as possible into my unemployment savings account that I opened. I came to realize in the end that you have to look out for yourself and your health - it's not always about the money. As long as you can pay your bills and have food to eat your good to go!! Hope things work out for you!! Keep us posted and congrats on getting your Discover card paid off :thumbsup2

So just to update - the unexpected expense with my car was a bad alternator. Got it fixed - extremely happy with the price and now the back tire went bad and has to be replaced. All the tires really need replacing but I decided to wait until the fall - just a couple more months but figure there's no need to just replace the one, might as well do it all at once.
Even though I have money in the ef I really, really hate using it. I just keep saying atleast I don't have a car payment.....

You most definitely need to do what is best for you and your health. Back in April I posted on here that my job had gotten so bad I couldn't even eat because of the stress. I left a full time year round job with benefits to a season job with no benefits. The plus side of this - I am so, so happy. I still have moments of panic that I will be unemployed for a few months until they reopen in the winter time. But the alternate plus side is my new boss lets me work as much as I want (I work 60 hours a week) and then I just stash as much as possible into my unemployment savings account that I opened. I came to realize in the end that you have to look out for yourself and your health - it's not always about the money. As long as you can pay your bills and have food to eat your good to go!! Hope things work out for you!! Keep us posted and congrats on getting your Discover card paid off :thumbsup2

Thanks so much! That is very encouraging! :hug: I told my aunt today, and she didn't seem very happy but I hope in time she understands. I gave almost a month notice, so I am hoping that softens the blow a bit. My last day there will be August 10th. It still seems like quite a ways of, but at least I have a solid end date in mind so hopefully I won't make myself sick all the time worrying about this.

It's just money... Being this upset and worked up about it all the time isn't worth it at all.

So just to update - the unexpected expense with my car was a bad alternator. Got it fixed - extremely happy with the price and now the back tire went bad and has to be replaced. All the tires really need replacing but I decided to wait until the fall - just a couple more months but figure there's no need to just replace the one, might as well do it all at once.
Even though I have money in the ef I really, really hate using it. I just keep saying atleast I don't have a car payment.....

That really stinks, but you're right - at least you have the money and at least it's not another payment! We have an 11 year old car, and I will ride that thing until the wheels fall off!!

That really stinks, but you're right - at least you have the money and at least it's not another payment! We have an 11 year old car, and I will ride that thing until the wheels fall off!!

This is exactly how I feel. I just want to keep it running - because I plan on going with it until the wheels fall off!!

I'm glad that you made the decision with your second job. You will feel so much better!!!!

So I use you need a budget ynab software and Dave Ramsey to help me beat debt anyone have another source for beating debt?!

So I use you need a budget ynab software and Dave Ramsey to help me beat debt anyone have another source for beating debt?!

:welcome:

They seem to be the most popular. I'm doing a modified Dave Ramsey but I don't have YNAB. When $ gets tight that's when I realize I probably should get it. I think I'm resisting because a real budget would have me putting so much more aside to other categories. Then my snowball will be peanut size. :lmao:

I have also found this website very helpful.
http://www.debtmd.com/

I really like that it shows you the light at the end of the tunnel. The hard part though is sticking to The Plan when there are so many unplanned things that come up. There are many things that don't qualify as "emergency" enough to tap the emergency fund. Our friend's daughter graduated college, nephew & his wife had a baby, dh wants a fun day off with our kids, our carpet steam-cleaner died, etc.

:welcome: They seem to be the most popular. I'm doing a modified Dave Ramsey but I don't have YNAB. When $ gets tight that's when I realize I probably should get it. I think I'm resisting because a real budget would have me putting so much more aside to other categories. Then my snowball will be peanut size. :lmao: I have also found this website very helpful. I really like that it shows you the light at the end of the tunnel. The hard part though is sticking to The Plan when there are so many unplanned things that come up. There are many things that don't qualify as "emergency" enough to tap the emergency fund. Our friend's daughter graduated college, nephew & his wife had a baby, dh wants a fun day off with our kids, our carpet steam-cleaner died, etc.

Thanks a bunch! I love ynab I don't do cash system very well this works better for me

So my work is having 2 hours a day of mandatory overtime Monday July 27-Wednesday August 6. Now I had already gotten 8-1 as a paid day off figuring that the HHR goes into the shop on 7-31. That way they have the whole weekend to fix it. If I just work the extra 2 hours the other 7 days I'm scheduled in that time period I would have an extra @170 after taxes.

I'm pretty sure, with the reason for the overtime, I could do more than 2 hours each day I work. Part of me wants to for the extra money but I don't want to kill myself either. If it was you, what would you do?

I know I'm taking $150 of the extra and paying the IRS off early.

So my work is having 2 hours a day of mandatory overtime Monday July 27-Wednesday August 6. Now I had already gotten 8-1 as a paid day off figuring that the HHR goes into the shop on 7-31. That way they have the whole weekend to fix it. If I just work the extra 2 hours the other 7 days I'm scheduled in that time period I would have an extra @170 after taxes.

I'm pretty sure, with the reason for the overtime, I could do more than 2 hours each day I work. Part of me wants to for the extra money but I don't want to kill myself either. If it was you, what would you do?

I would work the extra.

I guess that would depend....

I've been at my job for almost 24 years. Back in my 20s and before having kids I could work a LOT of OT and still 'keep it together'. We had a small apartment, then a condo so not a lot of maintenance, just simple cleaning up after ourselves.
Fast forward 20 yrs. A regular 40 hr week leaves me exhausted. I do at least 10-12 loads of laundry each weekend plus housework. 2 days just isn't enough time to get it all done, let alone have time leftover to have an active social life. It's crazy. At this point, I don't want a minute of OT and really would love to work PT but I can't see that happening.

Without knowing you, I would say work all the OT you can stand. You never know when they'll stop it.

I guess that would depend.... Back in my 20s and before having kids I could work a LOT of OT and still 'keep it together'.... Fast forward 20 yrs. A regular 40 hr week leaves me exhausted. I do at least 10-12 loads of laundry each weekend plus housework. 2 days just isn't enough time to get it all done....
This, exactly. I just don't have the energy I used to even if I'd want to do more than two hours daily. Can you play it by ear or do you have to schedule it ahead of time?

The two is a must, I don't know if they'll allow more though I don't see why. My thought was to ask if I could work more than the 2 and if they say yes then do 12's if I'm able, just the 10's otherwise. That way I don't lock myself into something my body can't do for almost 2 weeks.

I'm also considering, if this becomes a regular thing, work 12's through the end of Sept. cause I know I could keep it together much longer than that.

The two is a must, I don't know if they'll allow more though I don't see why. My thought was to ask if I could work more than the 2 and if they say yes then do 12's if I'm able, just the 10's otherwise. That way I don't lock myself into something my body can't do for almost 2 weeks.

I'm also considering, if this becomes a regular thing, work 12's through the end of Sept. cause I know I could keep it together much longer than that.

Maybe do just the 10 hour days and make sure your good with it, and then ask if you could pick up some extra time if you wanted to. That way your not tied into it and if you feel like extra over the 10 hours you could do it.

I would do the 12 but we are trying to pay off some bills so I would want to make as much extra as I can. My dh has had to work 12s with OT. You can do it for 2 weeks!

I would do the 12 but we are trying to pay off some bills so I would want to make as much extra as I can. My dh has had to work 12s with OT. You can do it for 2 weeks!

This is the one plus side of doing 12 hour shifts - you will get some extra money to pay off bills. However, remember that the time and a half can put you in a different tax bracket so uncle sam gets a lot of it. I am working 63 hours a week right now, and let me tell you that once uncle sam gets his money, I am making less than the normal hourly wage for the additional hours worked.
But.....like you said - it's still extra $$$$ :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter