Debt Dumpers - 2013

Hey everybody. Backslider here :blush::mic:

Three years ago, we knew my husband would have to resign from his job due to health issues. I made sure we were debt-free except for the mortgage before his pay stopped. Then I drew up a very strict budget that took into account all of our yearly needs, day to day needs, and some savings. This was completely based on my take-home pay plus DH's disability payment (not a lot but better than nothing.) We found some things that DH could do on the side that abided by the rules of disability and still brought in a little cash. We did awesome for about a year and a half, and then we contemplated buying a seasonal business. We figured we could make it pay for itself since we both have experience, but the start up costs were more than I thought, and I've lost a little control with spending for the business, and that's spilled over into personal. So now, we have the house mortgage, the business mortgage, and an unsecured line of credit of almost $7000.

The house mortgage is budgeted in already, so no worries there.

I have no budget for the business mortgage, but it's an interest-only line of credit which I've been using our health account savings to pay the interest on (I figure it's a mental health investment - I don't stress out over the months we're not bringing in any revenue if the interest is paid) and then the big paydown comes when we get taxes back from the business losses. We use the paid down room on the LOC for current operating expenses for the year. So far I've spent too much in capital improvements, so next year there are no capital costs planned. I'm hoping to at least break even next year, and then start making money.

But in the meantime, this year has left me with the unsecured LOC debt, which I really want to get paid down before we open next year. I do not have a debt repayment line in my budget, since I was determined we wouldn't have debt. So, here's my plan:
  1. Cancel my parking pass at work
  2. cut down on grocery spending
  3. buy no clothes
  4. try to use much less electricity over the winter
  5. try to use much less gas over winter
  6. cut down satellite tv bill
  7. if I get a year-end bonus at work, use it to pay down debt or put in my car fund

I am also going to comb this thread for ideas to cut back, and put every last nickel I can into the debt. Our trip in October is already paid for, or I would be using that money too. I have to pay off almost $1000 a month to make this work - wish me luck!!

Hey everybody. Backslider here :blush::mic:

Three years ago, we knew my husband would have to resign from his job due to health issues. I made sure we were debt-free except for the mortgage before his pay stopped. Then I drew up a very strict budget that took into account all of our yearly needs, day to day needs, and some savings. This was completely based on my take-home pay plus DH's disability payment (not a lot but better than nothing.) We found some things that DH could do on the side that abided by the rules of disability and still brought in a little cash. We did awesome for about a year and a half, and then we contemplated buying a seasonal business. We figured we could make it pay for itself since we both have experience, but the start up costs were more than I thought, and I've lost a little control with spending for the business, and that's spilled over into personal. So now, we have the house mortgage, the business mortgage, and an unsecured line of credit of almost $7000.

The house mortgage is budgeted in already, so no worries there.

I have no budget for the business mortgage, but it's an interest-only line of credit which I've been using our health account savings to pay the interest on (I figure it's a mental health investment - I don't stress out over the months we're not bringing in any revenue if the interest is paid) and then the big paydown comes when we get taxes back from the business losses. We use the paid down room on the LOC for current operating expenses for the year. So far I've spent too much in capital improvements, so next year there are no capital costs planned. I'm hoping to at least break even next year, and then start making money.

But in the meantime, this year has left me with the unsecured LOC debt, which I really want to get paid down before we open next year. I do not have a debt repayment line in my budget, since I was determined we wouldn't have debt. So, here's my plan:

[*]Cancel my parking pass at work
[*]cut down on grocery spending
[*]buy no clothes
[*]try to use much less electricity over the winter
[*]try to use much less gas over winter
[*]cut down satellite tv bill
[*]if I get a year-end bonus at work, use it to pay down debt or put in my car fund

I am also going to comb this thread for ideas to cut back, and put every last nickel I can into the debt. Our trip in October is already paid for, or I would be using that money too. I have to pay off almost $1000 a month to make this work - wish me luck!!

Sounds like you have a good plan and determination!!

I made another post about this, but also wanted to bump this thread and mention it again here:

YNAB -- You Need a Budget -- is on sale for $15

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227320/

This is the best price I've never seen on it, only Steam sales get the price that low. The sale ends tomorrow.

You Need a Budget is hands down the best thing that ever happened to my family's finances. It's a great program, no subscription fee, that makes it easy to budget-to-zero. We've gotten incredible clarity about our finances, and been able to eliminate numerous extra accounts while still tracking our various savings goals. There is also a free android and iphone app (and a third party windows phone app) that lets you track spending and view your budget on the go.

Anyway, I know many people on here use it and love it, and since this is such a huge discount that lasts a short time I thought I'd draw it to everyone's attention.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/

There is also a 30 day free trial you can try out. Steam ran this same 75% off sale over the summer, and will likely run it again at Christmas, so IMHO it's worth exploring even if you aren't prepared to buy now. It's really hard for me to over emphasize how amazing this program has been for our family and our conversations about money.

I swear I don't work for them, I just love YNAB that much. Proselytizing is a common side effect experienced by new users

I wish I could figure this program out! I downloaded it and just don't understand it. So many people rave about it. I must be an idiot!! :badpc:

Well we are back from Disneyland and spent more than we had planned on souveniers/kids toys/eating out. Oops. Ye Olde Visa and Ye Olde Mastercard came out a bit more than it should have.

*sigh*

With September brings a fresh month and a fresh start at the budget. Onwards and upwards I guess!

So now our big trip is done & I'm happy that we didn't need nearly as much spending money as I set aside. 2 days before we left we finally got the new roof. Only 2 half-sheets of plywood needed replacing so that's a huge relief.
Our AKL visit, believe it or not, is not expensive. We had a Rapid Reward from SWA that would expire in Nov and had enough points to book 3 more RT seats. Total airfare for 4: $20 + $50 for the return EBCI. Having free dining means we only have to pay for breakfast. Dh likes a big breakfast but ds13 & I are fine with some instant oatmeal which I'll pack from home. Ds16 rarely eats breakfast at all. We've been enough times that we no longer buy souvenirs & our kids have outgrown wanting toys from there. A pin or 2 at most. Long story short, shouldn't be more than $100 OOP.

After all of this, we'll be taking an extended break from traveling to eliminate the debt we have, hopefully pay off dh's truck early & build more savings.
Just in time for ds16 to start college.:goodvibes

I've worked in health care at a large teaching hospital for 23 years. We have a great benefits package with very little OOP medical costs. Over the years our copays have grown, now at $20-45 per Dr. visit. I guess I'm just oblivious but I had no idea so many people have such high medical costs OOP. :sad2: :crazy2: Dh's employer offers a similar package so for some reason I assume everyone gets this just by working FT.

I wish all of you having to pay for medical bills good health ins. in your future but more importantly, good health!!:goodvibes pixiedust: :grouphug:

Ruadisneyfan, good for you for not spending too much on your trip! I'm going to aspire to you for my October trip even though with F&W and two MNSSHP's, it's already looking pricey argh. But in a way I don't mind TOO much if its expensive because I think it'll be our last trip to WDW for at least a year. We're thinking perhaps no trips again until Christmas 2015, yikes. After October it's back to the debt repayment.

August has been really bad for my job and I only managed to pay about 1/3 extra on my loans compared to what I'd hoped. BUT I got offered work today since everyone else is busy for Labor Day Weekend (snapped it up) and I just got offered another meeting tonight - score! Can't wait for a much better September to get here!

So today is Friday (and pay day for some - I mean bill paying day!) How is everyone making out?

The last two pays we haven't been able to put extra towards the debt due to back to school stuff and activities. But, I did take out cash and spent only what I had budgeted, so that's good. I have some extra left over which will cover those first few days of school where they are looking for $ for gym uniforms, agendas, pictures, etc.

Looking forward to kids getting back to school and everyone back in a routine. Food budget over the summer was a lot more - way more snacking, which isn't good for budget or waistline. LOL

Have been going over our budget and trying to figure out dd's activities - paying monthly or taking $ out of my vacation fund :-)crazy2:) to pay for it. I'm thinking monthly then that way I still have that vacation fund stash - for hopefully a vacation at some point, or to use for an emergency if needed. (DD is a national level athlete, so quite a bit of travel involved, which is costly. Thank goodness for airmiles and grandparents!)

DH's pay fluctuates so I just hope he keeps getting more hours in the months to come. I will redo our budget based on his average earnings and any extra I think will split between debt and savings plan. Hopefully. LOL

The last two pays we haven't been able to put extra towards the debt due to back to school stuff and activities. But, I did take out cash and spent only what I had budgeted, so that's good. I have some extra left over which will cover those first few days of school where they are looking for $ for gym uniforms, agendas, pictures, etc.

Looking forward to kids getting back to school and everyone back in a routine. Food budget over the summer was a lot more - way more snacking, which isn't good for budget or waistline. LOL

Have been going over our budget and trying to figure out dd's activities - paying monthly or taking $ out of my vacation fund :-)crazy2:) to pay for it. I'm thinking monthly then that way I still have that vacation fund stash - for hopefully a vacation at some point, or to use for an emergency if needed. (DD is a national level athlete, so quite a bit of travel involved, which is costly. Thank goodness for airmiles and grandparents!)

DH's pay fluctuates so I just hope he keeps getting more hours in the months to come. I will redo our budget based on his average earnings and any extra I think will split between debt and savings plan. Hopefully. LOL

I don't have children, but it shocks me at how much activities cost for them in school!! Wow!!

My DH got a parttime job at the grocery store he wanted. Starts off 9-2 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays which works out great because he can drop DS7 off at school and the store is really close to the school...Plus the store is beside the flower shop that our DD21 works at so they can carpool. And he will be home for when DS7 gets off the school bus. The owner did say that there will be more days available once the high school kids go back to school. Anything he makes is automatically going onto the van payment so hopefully by the end of November that will be paid off freeing about $530 from the van payment (Plus his wages) to snowball on the next loan!!!

Paula

Ok, I'm new to this board... In regards to snowball, what exactly does this mean? Start with lowest debt and work way up to biggest? I have cc debt built up, which is laying heavy on me. Can someone help? :)

Ok, I'm new to this board... In regards to snowball, what exactly does this mean? Start with lowest debt and work way up to biggest? I have cc debt built up, which is laying heavy on me. Can someone help? :)

That's the most common way it s used. I tend to use it as a more catchall term for throwing everything extra at your debt. We have chosen to address our debt in terms of interest rate instead of lowest balance.

Ok thanks.... I wasn't sure which was better.. Lowest balance or interest... It would be soooo nice to pay some off!! DH is making about $200.00 less a week right now & it's starting to show... :( we have a Disney trip coming up in 45 days and just hope we arent going to spend a lot there.. We gave free dining so that will help.

Ok thanks.... I wasn't sure which was better.. Lowest balance or interest... It would be soooo nice to pay some off!! DH is making about $200.00 less a week right now & it's starting to show... :( we have a Disney trip coming up in 45 days and just hope we arent going to spend a lot there.. We gave free dining so that will help.

http://unbury.me/

Try that sit to run the numbers both ways and see what starting with the smallest balance will cost you. There is some benefit to doing it that way because it may free up monthly payments more quickly to be used for larger debt.

I don't have children, but it shocks me at how much activities cost for them in school!! Wow!!

Yup, it's ridiculous! Our friends would end up paying $3000 or thereabouts every few months for their daughters to participate in clubs. That said, they attended a club every week day. Talk about tiring!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I had to stop my daughters violin lessons until the 2nd semester. That saves me $400 for my house. My youngest has to wait until January also for Girl Scouts. Not including $300 plus for school fees. :(.

I have trying to get out of debt as well, but not very aggressively. I had committed this year to pay cash for our upcoming Disney trip. I believe I can achieve this however I have debated taking my discover card with me to really "enjoy" the trip. You guys have motivated me to not charge anything, we will still have lots of fun even if we don't eat at every restaurant we want to. I am also going to scale back my vacations for the next 18 months.

Thanks guys!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter