Debit in Disney World

nancy01

Earning My Ears
Can you use Debit cards in Disney World? We have a TD debit card. Can we use that card at Disney World? We ordered an Amazon Visa card but are not sure if it will come in before we leave. We figured if we use the debit card we can avoid the foreign exchange fees. Thanks!

absolutely....thats all we use....i thinkas long as the debit has a credit card logo, you are fine

Can you use Debit cards in Disney World? We have a TD debit card. Can we use that card at Disney World? We ordered an Amazon Visa card but are not sure if it will come in before we leave. We figured if we use the debit card we can avoid the foreign exchange fees. Thanks!
Sure you can use it but i'm not 100% sure of the transaction fees you'll incur! I'm not sure if you're asking about the foreign transaction fee charged by credit cards and if that happens to a debit card or not. Are you talking about using it at a POS terminal or in a bank machine to withdraw cash? I just want to make sure you're clear before you go. Personally, i'd be picking up the phone to get an answer from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Sure you can use it but i'm not 100% sure of the transaction fees you'll incur! I'm not sure if you're asking about the foreign transaction fee charged by credit cards and if that happens to a debit card or not. Are you talking about using it at a POS terminal or in a bank machine to withdraw cash? I just want to make sure you're clear before you go. Personally, i'd be picking up the phone to get an answer from the horse's mouth so to speak.
I tthink if you use the card to directly purchase things, there is no fee.....getting cash from an ATM at Disney will incur a $3 fee per transaction

My kids have TD VISA Debit so I was interested in the answer to this question as well.

For Visa Debit purchases at merchants outside of Canada, the transaction amount will be converted to Canadian dollars based on the foreign exchange rate charged to TD Canada Trust, and will include an additional fee equal to 2.5% of the converted amount.
Access Card | TD Canada Trust
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/electronic.../access-card.jsp

It doesn't sound like your be avoiding the forex fees using your debit card. Sorry:sad2:

Thanks so much for your help! I'm looking at using it to pay for purchases, not to withdraw cash. It has a Visa symbol on it. I'd just heard that debit wasn't accepted at Disney World.

I just saw your reply Ottawamom! That is so helpful to know! It looks like we will pay in cash if we don't get our Amazon Visa in time :-(. I refuse to pay that forex fee lol

She's right about the fees. It's basically using your debit card like a Visa card. You'll pay whatever the daily rate is and then a bit more on top, just like any foreign transaction you'd use it for online. They do take them though, I've used mine a few times when I ran out of cash but the extra fees on top aren't pleasant.

I don't think the forex fees are easy to dodge. You either pay the percentage at the debit machine, on your VISA transaction, or at the bank when you take out cash in advance. By not using foreign banking machines you can avoid the $3 extra transaction fee but not the 2.5% exchange fee. I think the only way you can avoid forex is by having a US account of some kind.

If you charged everything to your room with your magicband and then paid it off at the end, you would only pay the one transaction fee right? I never really paid attention the last time we were there.

If you charged everything to your room with your magicband and then paid it off at the end, you would only pay the one transaction fee right? I never really paid attention the last time we were there.

Thanks for posting this question!

It makes sense logically but banks and Disney tend to like their $$.

Hopefully someone in the know will be along shortly with a response.

Since it's % based fee (2.5 % as referenced in the earlier TD post ) you would pay that on the total amount, instead of paying on each individual charge. It works out to be the same in the end. At least that is my understanding of it.

I am chiming in with more or less the same response - when we were in Orlando in the Spring, just about everywhere we went they treated our TD VISA debit cards like VISA cards - including having to sign, even though we use the chips with PINs at home. So we did pay the extra %. :(

Since it's % based fee (2.5 % as referenced in the earlier TD post ) you would pay that on the total amount, instead of paying on each individual charge. It works out to be the same in the end. At least that is my understanding of it.

Right, ok.

That makes sense.

Thanks!

It may work out the same % wise but if the dollar changes, then you're paying whatever it is that day and it may go up or it may go down. I personally just take cash and try not to use my debit unless it's a last resort as then I know I've paid everything and I don't have to worry about what the dollar is doing.

I very rarely use cash, but instead always use my mc. My reasoning is that unless I have a us acct or us cc, I'm going to get dinged on fees either way. I can also get my cash back rewards on my card (every little bit helps!). I don't need to be worried about losing a wad of cash, essentially ruining my vacation. And lastly, I will spend the exact amount that I need to spend. If I bring cash, I'm stuck with any leftovers until the next timeI visit, or I'll feel the need to spend it on stupid stuff. I don't feel like it's very smart,especially when the dollar is so bad.

I go the cash route for the same reasons as xStitch. I only pay exchange once on the day I exchange it. I'm not paying the Forex fee on top, and we find it really controls our spending. We budget per day, and put each day in a separate envelope in the safe. Anything extra is rolled in to the next day. If there's a lot left over we can use it or bring it home for the next trip. We live on a border and go over often, and there is always a next trip with us so we know it will be used.
It's just what works for us and I can see how everyone would have different spending habits. When we spend on a credit card I feel like we don't control our spending as much. We still bring it for emergencies or shortages, but after all these trips we have a good handle on our budget.

OK ok ok i just have to admit that this thread sucks me in everytime ... i swear i read it as "DEBT in Disney World" and i keep wondering "huhm has someone figured out an amazing way to avoid debt :P "

I have an old card without a credit card logo on it and I couldn't use it at Disney. I could use at some other retailers and didn't have to pay the extra 2% fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter