DEBATE: Disney Merchandising - Plush, and the Man Who Started it All

Back again,

A few years ago, I started working on a website about Disneyland's history. I was attempting to track down every shop, restaurant, attraction, exhibit that was ever in Disneyland. It was pretty time consuming, and I hit a wall where I didn't feel like finishing it (learning about the past and the motivations & philosophies that created and trying to enjoy the present, not such a good combination) Maybe I'll work on it some more.

However, what I did manage to accomplish may be some use. It would save AV some work, I'm sure he's got more important things to do.

Disneyland History

I'm trying to find which E-ticket has the story about Pendleton. Pendleton had a shop from 1955-1990 and the E-ticket had a farewell article. What eventually forced them out was Disneyland jacked up the rent to the point where it was no longer profitable for them to stay.

Found it...

The Pendleton Company did not pick up their option on the Disneyland lease in 1990. The new contract was deemed too expensive for the 2,000 sq. foot retail outlet. The annual rent had gradually increased to ovver twenty times the original 1955 agreement."

The rest of the article is a good read, I would love to be able to type the whole thing in.

The Pendleton Mills shop remained virtually unchanged during its long stay at the Magic Kingdom. It was a time capsule containing the essence of the Frontierland of our youth...the subdued lighting casting a warm glow on the polished wood of the interior fixtures...the sound of our shoes on the hardwood floors. There was no splash of day-glow colors on gaudy wall displays...no deaf\ening din of upbeat music as sales people pushed faddish merchandise. This was quality...an old fashioned haberdashery of understated taste.

Actually, in another thread, our good friend Baron indicated that if the '1971 Walt Standard' had been maintained all these years there would be no Disney Stores to be dragging the company down.
Well!! To be quoted out of context!! What a joy!!

I did not say it in quite that way or in that context. What I said was there were several things currently sinking the Disney company. One of them was the Disney Stores. I did NOT say that it didn’t fit within the philosophy. So with that thought in mind...

And what about the 1971 opening of WDW? The World was still 'pure' then. The cement was just setting on the Standards. What was the merchandising status at that time?
The world was “PURE” and the marketing was “PURE”. Well, maybe not ‘pure’ but definitely “SUBTLE”. And that’s all the difference in the world!!

Did you know, for instance, that only one ride emptied into a shop. And that was the Pirates. Which was semi-open, street market type. Meaning that one small turn in any direction took you out of the shop.

There were NO carts selling cheap trinkets every ten to fifteen feet especially before the parade. In fact this is one of the “sharp practices” that Walt despised in other amusement parks and promised never to bring into Disneyland. Do you know what used to happen before the parade? Instead of selling cheap trinkets they brought out the characters to do some shtick!! Quite a difference, isn’t it?

Just a couple of thoughts to get you on track, Mr. Kidds.

...I think you can expect to see more of the same.
That's what we are afraid of. ;) Of course, think of all the $ we save. If they had really good stuff, we would really be poor! ;)

you know, I wouldn't be nearly as offended at the kids' costumes at TDS if they weren't so badly made and cheap looking. The kids' costumes at the parks are much nicer....but I think I'll go the homemade route this year. My 2yo dd is a lover of all things "princess" and the costume patterns go on sale for .99 tomorrow....I bet the dress I make for a quarter of the price will be much nicer than either those scratchy ones that fall apart or the nicer ones at WDW!

Does the Disney Store even sell anything at full price anymore? I know I haven't bought anything there for less than 50% off in a long time.....dd has some dress ups she loves that I got for almost nothing! Amazing how many backpacks they still have a month after school has started.....

But enough of my Disney Store rant (gee, I'll give PP a hand for the fact that we loved what they had there when he was in charge...perhaps the Gap will do very well in his hands)

Actually I wanted to mention the fairly recent change of Main Street in the MK....from an attraction that was really very much a Main Street to nothing but a dressed up strip mall, with much of the same junk they sell everywhere else in WDW. Who else remembers the Penny Arcade (ah, some of my best childhood memories of WDW...) and when the Main St. Cinema was actually a cinema and not a stupid redundant store? It was so cool to go into the darkness of the theater and see the old Disney cartoons running. So what that hardly anyone set foot in there....that's what made it great! It was one of those little details that the average one time visitor will probably overlook or not care about....but its one of the things that helps inspire a repeat visitor to keep coming back.

There is a also a certain lack of imagination among the merchandise available at WDW these days. I used to plan for a larger shopping budget during my trips because there was so much all over WDW that was unique....now, the few things I actually want aren't a problem and my shopping budget has been able to shrink. And when there's so much of the same stuff all over, its easy to decide to wait for a lower price. Kind of nice for me in a way....but from a business standpoint, you have a company that's not meeting its potential as far as selling merchandise. I guess this applies to the parks and the stores...

Originally posted by DisneyKidds
OK, the DTV sequels are probably intended to try and keep some films/characters fresh that might otherwise lose their merchandising appeal, but I don't see the DTV sequels as being Disney's primary movie making strategy. A disappointing and overused distraction, but hardly what Disney intends to be considered their true film offerings.

Ok- I know I have harped on this movie before, but if you would just watch the last 15 minutes of Executive Suite (it will be on again on TCM in November) you would understand why this is a much more damaging thing than you seem to recognize...you sound like the beancounter in the film defending their lower end furniture-(he is the bad guy) It is the idea guy (good guy who basically makes the following point-

What do you think the people who turn out that garbage feel about the job they are doing? The people forced to sell it? you think they have pride in their work? What effect does this have on the morale of a company which USED TO BE synonymous with a certain level of quality...you think it inspires people to do their best and want to perform for Disney? To stay with Disney feeling like that? ...and what is the public to think of that brand's reputation when they find it is now content to turn out junk? The general public does not sit around and say well that is okay, it is Disney's cheaper line of work...they say I don't know if I really want to see anymore Disney crap after the last garbage they sold us...(same goes for more than just movies)\

Paul

Actually I wanted to mention the fairly recent change of Main Street in the MK....from an attraction that was really very much a Main Street to nothing but a dressed up strip mall, with much of the same junk they sell everywhere else in WDW. Who else remembers the Penny Arcade (ah, some of my best childhood memories of WDW...) and when the Main St. Cinema was actually a cinema and not a stupid redundant store? It was so cool to go into the darkness of the theater and see the old Disney cartoons running. So what that hardly anyone set foot in there....that's what made it great! It was one of those little details that the average one time visitor will probably overlook or not care about....but its one of the things that helps inspire a repeat visitor to keep coming back.

I couldn't have said it any better. These are two things that I miss so much on Main Street. It always makes me so sad when I walk by them and see the gift shops in their place.

This was on the WDWBLUES news group site. I was a little unsure where to post it so I did it twice!! Once one the Pre$$ler is leaving thread and once one the debate regarding merchandising.

Anyway, ParrotHead wrote it and rather then paraphrase it I’m going to re-print it exactly as written. After all he stated it soooo well!! Hope you don’t mind Mr. Head! (Oh-oh! Confusion.) I mean Parrot, not Frozen!! ;)

This was in the Wall Street Journal:
"In an interview, Mr. Pressler said Gap's stores could benefit from the marketing approach he learned at Disney. 'In some ways, our Disney theme parks are just gigantic retail locations,' said Mr. Pressler, who ran Disney's retail stores from 1992 to 1995."
Now, I don't think it's any secret that upper management at Disney views the theme parks as little more than giant shopping malls. It's just interesting to see Pressler admit this in public. Remember that Michael Eisner is the one who put Pressler in charge of the parks after he ran the Disney Stores, which made it pretty clear that Eisner viewed the parks as "gigantic retail locations."

Disney's mission statement says that the "Walt Disney Company's key objective is to be the world's premier family entertainment company." I hope that whomever is put in charge of the parks is more committed to that goal. Focus on entertaining guests, and the profits will follow. Focus on profits, and disappointments like DCA will follow.

I agree ParrotHead. I couldn’t agree more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter