Debarking and food in customs

bahacca

Mouseketeer
We are catching a flight right after we debark, so my kids will need snacks and such for the plane. Can I bring snacks with us that are sealed, keep them on board and then take them off the ship, or will they make us toss them? What about opened snacks? I'm assuming we'd have to toss those, but just need clarification on if I should pack snacks for both to and from Miami or plan on buying snacks for the flight at the airport.

We are catching a flight right after we debark, so my kids will need snacks and such for the plane. Can I bring snacks with us that are sealed, keep them on board and then take them off the ship, or will they make us toss them? What about opened snacks? I'm assuming we'd have to toss those, but just need clarification on if I should pack snacks for both to and from Miami or plan on buying snacks for the flight at the airport.

I know you cannot take any kind of fresh produce (think bananas or oranges), plants/plant material (don't buy that lovely bonsai; you will have to toss it), or meats off the ship, but I do believe that foods in sealed packages are fine. We have disembarked w/sealed pretzels, cookies, chips w/no issues at all. I'm not sure about opened packages, though. Maybe another DISser will have that info.

Be aware that there are substantial penalties for non-compliance; I think I heard $250 for a banana. :eek:

Seems like a lot of hassle to me to tote the snacks all the way from home, store them for the length of the cruise, worry about whether customs is going to take them away, just to save a few dollars.

You're on vacation! Buy new snacks at the airport.

Nancy

We take snacks on all cruises with us and have never had any issues disembarking with them. Honestly, unless you are selected for a search they will not know. Even then definitely play it safe and stick to sealed products and steer clear of fruits/veggies & meat products.

You can have snacks as long as it's not meat (like beef jerky), plants, veggies, or fruit.

I answered honestly when the cruise customs guy stopped me....and I told him I had cheerios/cereal boxes with me for the baby. He didn't bat an eyelash :thumbsup2

Thanks! I am packing stuff for the trip to Miami, so if there is room, I'll toss in extra. If it gets eaten during the trip, fine. If not, one less thing to do before we board the flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter