Deaf Access?

MeridAriel

Mouseketeer
I've never been able to get a schedule of interpreted performances or deaf services that are provided, even when asking at front desks. Does anyone know anything about Deaf accessibility?

We have gotten the schedules at Guest Relations at the parks, I have never tried at a resort front desk. On wdwent.com, an entertainment schedule site for WDW, he lists the current week's ASL-interpreted performances for shows only (not the attractions) to give you an idea. They may vary depending on the season. The days of the week have been the same for a long time but individual show times may vary.
These are the shows/attractions we have seen interpreted:
MK: Jungle Cruise, Laugh Floor, Festival of Fantasy parade, Dream along with Mickey, Move it/Shake it parade
DHS: Beauty & the Beast, Indiana Jones, I think they added Frozen Sing Along since our July trip
AK: Festival of the Lion King, Flights of Wonder, Finding Nemo the Musical
Epcot: Turtle Talk with Crush.

The interpreters are wonderful. We have also tried the handheld captioning device a few times. It was okay, not always reliable but when it worked it was great. You can get it at guest relations for a $25 deposit which they give back at the end of the day. Also, if you ride Toy Story Mania there is a little button labeled "CC" which turns on the closed captioning in your ride vehicle. There is also "reflective captioning" available for some attractions like Muppets 3D. I have not tried it but I have noticed the captioning on the back wall of the theater; I think they give you a device to hold at your seat which reflects the captioning.

Hope this helps.

You can email this address - WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com to request ASL interpreter schedules, but they only do them two weeks in advance. It seems like the park days stay the same but they change up the times sometimes. I kept requesting them every two weeks to make sure my FPs would match up, ADRs, etc. The MK times changed last week and I go next week, eep! But I think I'm all okay now :)

You also can contact them to arrange interpreters for attractions not offered already but they've covered like all attractions/shows that can be interpreted. I requested one for the safari in AK and while it's not set up for interpreters (they're working on adding jump seats), I told them I'd sit next to the terp so they agreed to allow me to do that. Will see how that turns out. Another one of my requests was to do Jungle Cruise two times in a row with different skippers since they don't follow the same script which they allowed (still hearing back on which one of my MK days that'll happen).

This goes for special tours and etc too. I'm doing DiveQuest and I'll have one for the backstage portion and all above ground communication as I don't really have any issues with underwater communication ;) You can request an interpreter for dining shows such as the luau but not for character meals as "communication not essential to interact with characters" (I did argue with them on that about princess meals).

DEFINITELY go to the parades that are interpreted as you'll get a pretty nice standing area, roped off for your use and the terps do a great job & parade performers know where the interpreters are so some will do the ILY sign towards you and omg, this made my entire holiday - there was a Mr Smee who ran up to me, introduced himself in ASL and said nice to meet you before he had to run off! I left a kudos card or whatever they're called for him because AHH!

Once you're there, you can ask the interpreters about any other cool stuff for deafies while you're there. DLR has a Flik who's deaf and he just happened to be working the next day and I found him! They knew of some other characters who were deaf/knew ASL but none were working when I was there. I did meet a "friend" of Anna who went to some of the interpreted shows/rides as extra credit for her ASL courses. No idea about WDW but I'll be there next week so...

The blue box (captioning device, I just call it blue box because it's blue) is annoying as you have to pick it up daily and return it at the same park unless if you're at DLR where the box can be used in both parks, but some of the tips they gave me was to use cash deposit so when you return it, it's a breeze to do so. Here's a photo of it in action at DLR Pirates. It's dark so you can't see what the box looks like but as you can see, it's bright so you can see it in the darkest rides. Some of the rides had terrible captioning (DLR Star Tours was horrible) but then others were amazing and had some hilarious moments such as the pic I attached.

It's sort of the size of a bulky thick phone and it comes with a lanyard so if you want to look like a dork, you can wear it that way. I did that because it was easier than digging through my pack on a hot day and when CMs see you with the box, they'll point you towards TVs with captioning enabled. They tend to have a black & white "CC" icon on the set itself and can be out of the way/often not one of the main TV sets. It'll vibrate when you're on a ride that's compatible with it and start up but sometimes it'd turn off randomly during the ride??? then it'd vibrate again as it turned itself back on -_- You can leave feedback about it, I did for that particular ride (Little Mermaid at CA) because it was so awful.

Never tried to get the schedules in paper while at WDW but I got them at DLR when I went to guest services for the blue box.

If you PM me, I'll be able to help you out with more information that I'm not sure if I can post publicly :)

While the schedule is only sent the week prior to your visit please contact Disney a minimum of two weeks prior to your visit and earlier if you need any dinner shows or tours interpreted. For DCL it is a minimum of 45 days in advance to set up interpreters.

Thanks for all of the help, everyone! (Sorry for the extreme delay-I never got any alerts on this board after the initial week or so.)

Thanks for all of the help, everyone! (Sorry for the extreme delay-I never got any alerts on this board after the initial week or so.)

I'll add the info for "Reflective Captioning" Its great - when you enter a theater (Tough to be a bug in AK, Philharmagic in MK, and Muppets in DHS) tell the CM you need reflective captioning mirror. AK cm's were great, had it down - you wait with the wheelchair/ecv's and it helps us to know what side the captioning is on, and head to that aisle end seat (its summer, and some people think you are jumping the line until they see the mirror and then they realize how cool it is) The DHS cm's didn't have a clue, which was pretty sad, but it could be they had another problem to deal with, we just sat and found the mirrors (they were out in the open along the side of the theatre near the captioning) and returned it when the movie was over...

but it makes a big difference.

Thank you for the info on Toy Story!

Good to know! Thanks :) and that stinks about DHS! You would think that would be in basic training for CMs...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter