DDP with an Under 3 yr old

Dizzymrslizzy

Mouseketeer
I need a little advice on how to handle the Free DDP with my little one. Little guy will be over 1 years old by the time we go in September during Free DDP. I don't get any credits for him right?

How do I deal with feeding him? This child EATS full meals right now. I can get away with QS double hamburgers and giving him a patty, but then I still need to buy a drink. Buffets I'm assuming are free as well, but that doesn't help me with my other TS ADRs. We're going with others, so I can't just make all of the reservations that would suit us.

So much for free dining?!?!?! Is there any way around this?

We're "Pooh" sized adults and have never (seriously) never finished a Disney table service or counter service meal - we could easily feed a 3rd adult from our 2 meals, time after time. I would be very surprised if someone couldn't feed a child under the age of three off the parents' plates.

Now I suppose there are some choices at counter service places that are smaller servings, but we don't get hot-dogs & the like for our counter service meals...we rarely even get burgers at WDW since there are so many "non-fast-food" type counter services to indulge ourselves at - we can burgers at home, we go for the interesting choices instead (like the ribs & chicken combo plate at Cosmic Rays/Magic Kingdom...or the 2 Asian Entrees & 2 sides at Sunshine Seasons/The Land/Epcot...each of those meals could easily feed an adult & a child and leave both full.) I suppose if you do nothing but counter service burgers & fries as your lunch choices, then it may get challenging to share, but even then, they're good-sized servings (bigger than McD's)

And the drinks are large, too - you could take your child's sippy cup with you & give him a share.

I've gone twice with kids under 3 on the DP.....And we've never had a problem. We share meals, and supplement the meal if everyone's hungry with a snack credit or two (apple sauce or extra fries for the baby, plus splitting the main course of the adult). For drinks - pack a bunch of juice boxes OR what I do is just ask for the LARGE size of one drink (for dh and I - we don't need more than half a large) and then get a milk with the other meal for the child. In addition, we usually get a couple large cups of ice water - plenty of drinks to do around for free.

With a buffet meal daily plus sharing a bit - I think you'll be fine. And keep in mind - that even if you end up paying for a few kids meals - that's way less than you'd pay if Disney considered him a paying customer - so you are still WAY making out.

I agree with PP that Disney, for the most part, serves portions big enough to share. If you are worried there won't be enough you can always get an appetizer or a kids meal (although kids choices are bleah). When we eat out we often order DS(3) a soup and then he shares our meal.

I know I can share some meals, but you know what this is vacation, and I want to eat some of the nicer meals rather than all kid friendly meals like I do now when I go out to eat.

For example: When we go to Le Celliar, DH and I have been eyeing the Filet Mignon, but DS doesn't eat steak at all. So either one of us has to sacrifice our meal for DS or I have to order DS his own meal. Neither option sounds that wonderful.

I have three different TS's that I see being like this during our week, and I'm a bit frustrated by it.

Okay Drinks I guess I can get my sweet and wonderful SIL to bring down a few packs of juice boxes so that he has enough for the week to drink at random times as well as during meals. I just need to figure out how to get milk into him, and not really pay for it.

Maybe you could let your son have a snack/CS meal before you go to a restaurant where you anticipate that he won't like what you are ordering?

Another option might be to order a side dish (which you would have to pay for but isn't that expensive mostly) for your ds.

Or, order the dish you want but make sure that one of the sides is something he will like.

Most restaurants also serve bread. If you let ds have a snack beforehand (some are pretty filling) he could then nibble on the bread and/or little tidbits from your plate.

I honestly think it should be fine!

What does your DS like to eat? You will probably get bread served with your meal. I don't think any restaurant would frown upon you bringing in a few snack items for a 1 year old (ie fruit, crackers etc). Le cellier has a few side items that are cheaper than a kids meal. Would your DS like any of those?

I have never had this problem with DS. He doesn't really like tradition kids foods. He prefers steak and a salad to chicken fingers and fries.

Well if you're that sure you won't have enough food to share, and don't want to pay for food at all for your baby, then you can get him on the child's meal plan BUT the only way to do that is to register him as a 3 year old...which you can do, many people have reported doing this.

Course, then you'll have to buy him a child's park ticket for all the days you'll be going to the parks. I would think it would be cheaper just to buy the occasional supplemental child's meal/side dish/glass of milk than to pay for a park ticket for him. And this can become more expensive down the line, too since Disney will have him in their system as 2 years older than he really is, so when he's only 8, Disney will want you to pay adult prices for meal plan & park tickets (since in their computer, he will be then "10" yrs. old.)

I just don't know how others deal with these types of things. I'm a new mom, and this will be my first time not being able to prep meals for DS when we're on the go.

I'm also trying to lose my remaining baby weight, and am planning on ordering healthier meals that DS may or may not like. So I see it being a potential problem. Of course I'm probably over analyzing the issue since we will be a party of 8 on DDP...I'm sure it will be fine in the end. I'm just trying to be prepared for what I encounter.

I am trying to make this trip as cheap as possible, and I'm having a hard time balancing what "I" want in a vacation (Great food), and being able to feed my DS for as cheap as possible.

What does your DS like to eat? We had no issues sharing our dinners with DS when he was under 3.

If you are still trying to lose baby weight, why not try giving DS what you are having.. if you don't try, how do you know he won't like it?

Most TS will give you a cup of milk for you DS if you ask for it, we have never been charged for it. Or just buy it at the gift shop at your resort.

He normally eats:

Chicken nuggets/breaded baked chicken
Hamburger
Spaghetti w/Meat sauce
Meatloaf
Meatballs
Deli meat
Cheese
Yogurt
Mac & Cheese
Pizza
Grilled Cheese
Different Casseroles I make.
Fruits and Veggies

He refuses to eat:
Baked/Grilled/Rotisserie Chicken (He'll eat it maybe 25% of the time)
Roasted Turkey
Steak, regular non-ground beef
Pork of any kind
Lettuce/Salad

Isn't approved to eat:
Fish and nuts

Good to know about the milk, because he usually has 3 servings of milk a day (B, L, & D).

I agree with the others, there will be plenty to go around by feeding him off others' plates, especially since there are 8 of you. If he doesn't like it, you can always order him a kid's meal and pay less than $5 for counter service or less than $8 for a Table Service. I know you want to be able to do this as cheap as possible, but if you want him to have his own meals, then you're going to have to purchase him a meal (except at all you care to eat places). Just tell your server that his meal will be out of pocket (OOP).

We went two years ago with my 1 3/4 year old daughter. We didn't have any problems at all. My parents and my sister and her children came as well. There was plenty to go around. There was always something she could eat. Sometimes we used some snack credits for her, but that was fine because we had so many snack credits left over we brought a bunch of candy back home with us!
We brought granola bars, Nutrigrain bars and fruit snacks with us, which she had for breakfasts and snacks.

I remember having the same worries when we went but it all worked out fine! :goodvibes

I agree, you should be able to make out alright...we also used our snack credits for our son when he was 16 months. He is allergic to milk and anything containing any milk products. We used some of our snack credits to buy soy milk at our resort and carried a cooler bag with us at all times. We had the deluxe plan but always chose deserts as fruit and the like so that he could eat things like that. We did not purchase an extra meal the entire time, we were able to share with him from ours and our daughters and it worked out fine. Again, snack credits were great too!

Have fun and happy dining! :)

I am planning to share meals with my DD2 when we go in September with the Deluxe Dining Plan. Maybe I'm just lucky that steak is her favorite thing in the world. But I have also read on these boards that some of the restaurants offer some kind of noodle bowl or something for kids under 3 at no charge. And even if they did charge, I doubt that it would cost you an arm and a leg. A PP poster said to use the snack credits, too. That's a great idea.

As for the baby weight, you're probably pretty just the way you are. Kick back and have some fun on your vacation. That's what it's there for.

I think it would be totally fine to bring applesauce cups and other baby friendly food items with you to TS restaurants that don't have a buffet. As for CS, my 3 yr. old would eat the stuff we ordered instead of dessert, like yogurt, apples, fries..... That was enough food for her for lunch, and I would order a apple juice or milk as my beverage and give it to her, ice water for me is free! You can make it work, and it will not be hard. Have a great trip!

We went during free dining last year when our daughter was 1 1/2. She'll be 2 1/2 this year when we go. We discovered that there was plenty of food and we are all big eaters in our family. I would just ask for an extra plate at CS location and I would split my meal with her. I generally ordered items such as the rotisserie chicken with sides. As for a drink, I would order juice and from my cup, I filled her sippy and I took the rest. At TS, there is plenty of food. I will admit, we are buffet people, so for the most part, she ate for free off of her own plate, but Disney is not skimpy on portions at any of its TS restaurants. It was easy to work around her not having her own credits. I'm sure that you'll be fine.

I know where you are coming from! We have been on the dining plan before and I always eat my meals when on the DDP so I knew sharing with DD was going to be limited at 15mths in September.

We have therefore budgeted $10 a day for DD food. Some days will be less than that as we have AYCE meals and we can share CS meals too. Its OUR vacation and she will want her own meal as well (she is getting very independent) :goodvibes

You will be fine. Order the double cheeseburger and they will sell you a bun for .85 or so, you can ask for a water cup and fill drinks for him, many CS locations are fill your own drink and there are plenty of fries to share. You can ask for water at any location and maybe you can get the Kool Aid single packs to encourage him to drink. Milk is sold at the resort in quart bottles, I think and it is cheaper than the single servings at the restaurants. At any buffet or all you can eats they will bring him the kid food or you can get it off the buffet. Some of the TS restaurants do have a meal for under 3's. And most can accommodate any dining problem you have. Just budget a little $$ for his food. You can purchase little things or bring things with you to supplement. I doubt you would spend the $9.99 per day that it costs for the kid DDP plus the cost of park tickets for him. Disney will sell bread, buns, and many things a la carte if you ask. He gets in for free, you may have to buy him some meals. Kid meals are only from $4 to $10 at most locations.

We were just in WDW in May and our 2 yo granddaugther was traveling with us. We paid OOP for all of her meals. We don't like buffets and choose regular TS locations for all of our meals. We buy her whatever meal she wants (or can eat). There is no sharing for her as she is latose intolerant (and wouldn't even be interested in our choice of foods -- she has not acquired the taste for filet mignon yet). We were charged as expected for her meals. No freebies. You don't have to buy an entire meal for your child. They will let you buy a la carte. Generally she had pasta and tomatoe sauce as most of the kids choices contained dairy and even when we were at WCC she could not eat off of the skillet because the chef said everything was cooked in butter! We paid for her drinks and her meals (as mentioned in an earlier tread, we were never offered any free noodles for her, so don't count on that happening). CS was the most difficult though and we got pretty tire of peeling the crust off of the nuggets. She ate alot of grapes that trip! She is going back down with us in August and October and we are not getting the DDP for either of those trips since we'll have a kitchen both times. Still eating at TS locations at least once a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter