DDP seems worth it for us?

I have done Disney with and without the DDP and the fact that the dining plan is back is one of the things that pushed us over the edge to plan another trip. I would never go back without the dining plan because I spent too much time analyzing every single purchase and I cancelled reservations because of it And then regretted it later.

I feel like de DDP might be worth it for us too - we are two adults and a 6 year old. Never been to Disney and this could be just a one time thing for us.

I haven't done the proper math yet but just running numbers quickly we could possible come out ahead - here are some of my thoughts/reasonings:

- My daughter and I love Disney, and we want to get a few character meals in such as O'Hana breakfast, Garden Grill, Tusker and maybe even the Akershus breakfast for the princesses. Maybe one more if we can fit it.
- Hubby loves steak and seafood. Normally he wouldn't order it that often because it gets pricey but since it works out in our favour to order those items on the DDP he's gonna be over the moon.
- Hubby and I would absolutely order an alcoholic drink for dinner regardless of DDP or not.

These are just my initial thoughts; our vacation is not until later this year so still have some time to decide.
I am one of those folks where if it looks like I will break even, I will go ahead and get it. I am a steak eater, but I rarely get it when I go out because of the price. So I use my time at Disney to just indulge in whatever I want. I know a lot of people snack their way around the parks, but I never do that. Popcorn is what I indulge in so I will grab a refill before I leave a park. I’ve never had a churro or an egg roll or a Mickey shaped pretzel… And forget about the booths at Epcot. I don’t eat at any of those either. I prefer to stop and have a meal, which works with the dining plan.

You will always find negative Nellys when you ask about the DDP. Didn’t read all the posts because about the 3rd time someone mentioned tips I became irritated. As you pointed out tips are paid with or without the dining plan. I love DDP and wouldn’t consider a WDW trip without it. I’m like your DH, the all inclusive aspect adds a lot of value to the vacation.

Get it! Its worth it

Having the disney dining plan is a wonderful experience and feeling that can’t be explained through numbers. If it was all about the numbers, a Disneyworld trip wouldn’t make sense either. But that magic and feeling can’t be explained by the numbers either.

keep it and get ready for the joyous feeling of ordering anything you want, anywhere, and seeing $0 on your receipts.

We decided to do the dining plan. All adults.
We all want a sit down during the evening, every day. When we don't do that, our trips are less enjoyable.
A couple pricier buffets or one price options (Boma, Teppen Edo) for dinner.
One character breakfast.
We all enjoy a cocktail with any sit down, be it dinner (wine or cocktail) or breakfast (bloody mary or mimosa).
A dessert with dinner will be a nice treat since we normally don't eat many desserts at home.
Snacks will be used up during Festival of Holidays and then whatever else here or there.
I very may well get a glass of wine with a counter service lunch here or there.

$94 a day per person. I can spend that between a snack, counter service, sit down and booze.

We decided to do the dining plan. All adults.
We all want a sit down during the evening, every day. When we don't do that, our trips are less enjoyable.
A couple pricier buffets or one price options (Boma, Teppen Edo) for dinner.
One character breakfast.
We all enjoy a cocktail with any sit down, be it dinner (wine or cocktail) or breakfast (bloody mary or mimosa).
A dessert with dinner will be a nice treat since we normally don't eat many desserts at home.
Snacks will be used up during Festival of Holidays and then whatever else here or there.
I very may well get a glass of wine with a counter service lunch here or there.

$94 a day per person. I can spend that between a snack, counter service, sit down and booze.
Makes sense! The 2 cocktails with lunch and dinner total about $30, so not hard at all to spend $64 between the food and snack. Same with QS plan, $24 for two meals and a snack is easy.

My last two trips did not include the dining plan. The first one was because the person I went with didn't want to buy it and second trip was when they didn't have the plan. The sticker shock at the end of the trip when I saw how much I paid for meals really killed me.
I like to do character meals and 1 sit down per day (usually dinner, if it's not a character breakfast.) To me, those add up no matter what you order/where you eat. I do the 1 qs/1 ts plan. I really REALLY like that it's all paid before I get there. (yes, except tips and the occasional appetizer.) The sticker shock is MUCH less. I am going in April for 9 days/8 nights and I have the DDP.
My only complaint is that I wish you could order an app OR a dessert with your entree. There are some places where I don't like the desserts offered, but do want an app.

Last edited:

My only complaint is that I wish you could order an app OR a dessert with your entree. There are some places where I don't like the desserts offered, but do want an app.
I agree with this! I’m much more into savory than sweet so would usually prefer an app to a dessert. Luckily my husband does have a sweet tooth and my toddler will be happy to snatch mine, so it’s not a terrible deal for us right now but I would still prefer the option to get an app, even if it was more limited to a soup or salad and not any app.

So hoping to get some thoughts from people who look at this to see if I'm missing something before I go ahead and book the DDP. I booked a long time ago for our March trip and was not planning to do the DDP. I booked all of our ADRs last month and made park itineraries that included specific QS places and researched the food we wanted to get. As I was about to go pay down the rest of our trip, I decided to run the math on the DDP versus what I had already planned, assuming it would not come out in favor of the DDP. But it actually did, by about $50 (not super significant but psychologically, my husband loves having the all inclusive feel - which I'm fine with, as long as I'm not losing money on it). Again, this was without any effort to maximize the dining plan, so I think I could now probably tinker a bit, particularly with QS and snacks (bc we are likely to order more food than just what I have listed as we have 5 nights but full days on each end), to get even more value out of it.

We have a 5 night trip, 2 adults and 1 2 YO (who does not need a dining plan but will get his own food here and there so that price is not included). So our 5 TS meals are Chef Mickey's breakfast, Crystal Palace breakfast, Kona dinner, Ohana dinner, Sci Fi Dinner. I priced out the QS meals we intended to get for Columbia Harbor House lunch, Docking Bay 7 lunch, Satuli Canteen lunch, Captain Cook's lunch, Captain Cook's breakfast. I assumed a $6.50 average for snacks, which I think we could actually beat with Epcot festival food because we're going during Flower & Garden. We intended to buy mugs anyway because we have a toddler and plan to be back at the resort midday every day for a break and will grab diet cokes, and we will fill up on coffee in the morning (I'm a caffeine addict so this is a needed expense). This does assume my husband and I both get cocktails for dinner, but only some lunches and breakfasts, which is what we would have likely done. It assumes some non-alcoholic options like shakes, smoothies and specialty coffees on the QS breakfasts, the CHH lunch since MK doesn't have alcohol at QS, and the Sci Fi lunch when we intended to get shakes.

Like I said, I didn't try to maximize this or pick the most expensive QS or most expensive menu item or always order alcohol. I just picked what we already intended to order, and I also am using quite a few credits for breakfasts, which I understand is seen as the least valuable meal to use them. Am I wrong to have included some $14-17 cocktails in this equation (this does seem key to coming out ahead?)? Am I right that both QS and TS meals come with alcoholic drinks? I know souvenir container are excluded and didn't include any of those. I know we had already intended to visit some of the more expensive character buffets and we do like cocktails, so maybe this is why it worked out without me really trying? Because we have our 2 year old who won't be on the meal plan, I am definitely not worried about not using all the snack credits because he can make a meal of some of those, too (and we are very prepared to spend more than just the meal plan, obviously know it doesn't include gratuities or all things we might want to eat and some kids meals for our son). But I do think we save some money and also get that "it's all taken care of" feel that my husband likes.

But again - am I missing something?
You've got some good feedback already, I just wanted to add your family sounds similar to mine and I vote add the DDP. My DH also likes the all inclusive feel. We have done trips with and without the DDP and spend about the same on food either way. The difference is DH prefers all inclusive DDP and we both feel we ate more of what we REALLY wanted while on the DDP. I know there were a few times he would order a less expensive entree when not on the DDP.

Ideas to modify your plans a little even more in favor of DDP:

Crystal Palace for early lunch instead of breakfast. We have one breakfast love and one breakfast hater between DH and myself. I'll let you guess which one I am

Chef Mickey's is a great value for either meal. O'hana is also a great value. DS loved this meal a few years ago and we are going back on our next trip on DDP.

Sci Fi was a one and done for us. It wasn't as great as we thought. We prefer burgers and shakes at D Luxe in DS and it's just a QS credit. If you are really looking forward to this meal, keep it. We like the Fantastic Dining Package at Hollywood and Vine for 1 TS credit.

Docking Bay 7 and Satuli are both great DDP values and some of the best QS on property.

Captain Cook's for breakfast won't be a great value on DDP. I'd pay for that out of pocket and use a QS credit at Polite Pig in Disney Springs.

If you do go with the DDP please be sure to report back!

Crystal Palace for early lunch instead of breakfast.
So our reservation is actually at 10:45 so we will get both! We also have split preferences so did this to get best of both.
Sci Fi was a one and done for us. It wasn't as great as we thought. We prefer burgers and shakes at D Luxe in DS and it's just a QS credit. If you are really looking forward to this meal, keep it
Totally fair, the food is not amazing. But this is a nostalgic favorite for us and we go every time we can. I actually switched our whole trip around based on ADR availability for this restaurant. But, we did decide to do a character breakfast on departure day so we’re going to use the TS credit for that and pay out of pocket for Sci fi! It’s not impossible to get decent use out of the credit though because of the milkshakes and alcohol options there, but it was the worst value we had so an easy one to drop once we planned 6 TS meals. And the character meal was one we wanted to do but thought it was too extravagant/expensive to add another so the dining plan definitely let us splurge on that while feeling good about it!
Captain Cook's for breakfast won't be a great value on DDP. I'd pay for that out of pocket and use a QS credit at Polite Pig in Disney Springs.
We’re not going to Disney springs and very much into Tonga Toast so I think we will keep this one as is but I did read an account that you can get a wine or beer unopened and save it for later so I will be trying to do that to maximize the breakfast credit!
If you do go with the DDP please be sure to report back!
We did book it and our trip is now just two weeks away so will report back soon!!

Also I was delighted that restaurants let us have a soda AND an alcohol with our table service meals “for free” with our TS credit. I thought we would be pairing our TS credit alcohols with free water.
no server worth their salt would ever say no, as possibly putting their tip in jeopardy lol. Pop costs them pennies
My only complaint is that I wish you could order an app OR a dessert with your entree.
110%! I have read that some have asked & been granted soup in lieu of dessert. YMMV. I plan on trying it at steakhouse 71 for the onion soup.

Get it! Its worth it

Having the disney dining plan is a wonderful experience and feeling that can’t be explained through numbers. If it was all about the numbers, a Disneyworld trip wouldn’t make sense either. But that magic and feeling can’t be explained by the numbers either.

keep it and get ready for the joyous feeling of ordering anything you want, anywhere, and seeing $0 on your receipts.
Interesting…bit different opinion from you than on your most recent thread discussing making it worth it by adding kids. Here, you say to go for it and that it can’t be explained through numbers. 🤔

Interesting…bit different opinion from you than on your most recent thread discussing making it worth it by adding kids. Here, you say to go for it and that it can’t be explained through numbers. 🤔
Did you really just go through my posts to try and come up with something negative to comment on about me? Your name is very accurate. Grow up. I’ll respond and educate you even though I know you are not genuinely Interested in learning how multiple points of view can be true.

Have you ever picked a deluxe Disney resort to stay at even though it was more expensive than a cheaper alternative that has all the same amenities? Probably but you don’t realize it. If you break that down into numbers, you are losing money, but it makes you feel better to stay at that more expensive resort so the extra money was worth it to you. So someone can say monetarily, its not a good value, and you can say it is because you love the happiness it gives you to stay there. Same with my views of the dining plan.

Depending on how you use it, you can make it mathematically be in your favor,or you can lose money on it. You can argue both ways. The, as an experience, the joy it gives you of having it cannot be put in monetary terms, so it becomes worth it to you. These are not contradicting in absolutes. They can all be a true perspective. Do you unsderstand?

Did you really just go through my posts to try and come up with something negative to comment on about me? Your name is very accurate. Grow up. I’ll respond and educate you even though I know you are not genuinely Interested in learning how multiple points of view can be true.

Have you ever picked a deluxe Disney resort to stay at even though it was more expensive than a cheaper alternative that has all the same amenities? Probably but you don’t realize it. If you break that down into numbers, you are losing money, but it makes you feel better to stay at that more expensive resort so the extra money was worth it to you. So someone can say monetarily, its not a good value, and you can say it is because you love the happiness it gives you to stay there. Same with my views of the dining plan.

Depending on how you use it, you can make it mathematically be in your favor,or you can lose money on it. You can argue both ways. The, as an experience, the joy it gives you of having it cannot be put in monetary terms, so it becomes worth it to you. These are not contradicting in absolutes. They can all be a true perspective. Do you unsderstand?
Well said. Do what makes YOU happy, and your trip more enjoyable.

I too seldom get a steak when I go out at home and virtually never have a cocktail or a glass of wine. Just too expensive. A good glass of wine is usually around $14 and a mixed drink can be upwards of $17 around here (DC area), so I buy the DDP and have steak for virtually every dinner and get that glass of wine or cocktail, after all, vacation is where you can do things you can't do at home.

I had the DDP the first time I went to WDW in 2012. I didn't do the math, but I am sure I broke even or maybe made a profit. I loved trying all the table service restaurants and all the experiences.

Only downside: It is a lot of food and it becomes in a way the focus of your holiday.
Which I was fine with on that solo trip, but it wouldn't work for a trip with my best friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter