DDP Noob--tell me how you make the most of your dining plan

We get bread either croissants, bagels, baguette, etc., a cheese or two, water, and fruit for breakfasts. Works well for us as it is what we do whenever we're away from home, but I can see it not working if you have little ones.

We had free DDP for our visits (one on honeymoon in 1999 and the other in 2011 w/ kids) and LOVED it! I was not sure it was a great idea this trip as we'll be paying for it, but my husband insisted as he likes vacation to be as all inclusive as possible, and after doing the math I totally agree with him! In fact I told him today that we may end up doing the deluxe version as it has been about 5 years since we've been there and we have several signature 2TS restaurants planned and want to not stress it.

I agree with everyone about having breakfast in your room or while waiting for rope drop. One good tip is to use the gift shop as a grocery store, instead of using the food court to buy food to stash for later. At the resort gift shop, you can get a quart of milk for what you'd pay for a pint in the FC, and a loaf of bread for what you'd pay for two slices. You can use the microwaves and toasters in the food court, then scoot right out to the bus. Just be sure to make purchases the night before, since the gift shops won't open until after breakfast time. We always bring cereal from home, and I love those single serve peanut butter containers, perfect for a protein rich piece of toast while waiting for the bus. I also bring a 2 gallon Ziploc bag to throw our mugs in when we're done, then toss it in a backpack.

We usually end up paying 1-2 OOP meals. That is when we do a breakfast and dinner TS in the same day. We always plan a TS dinner but usually try to get an early ADR one morning in MK.
On those days we use our snack for lunch and that gives us a few more times for CS meals

If you are truly trying to maximize the Dining Plan credits I'd say to avoid using TS credits for lunch, in most cases the lunch choices are less expensive than dinner.

I'd say to avoid using TS credits for lunch, in most cases the lunch choices are less expensive than dinner.

I'm not trying to always get the most $ value out of the plan, just the best use of the plan. I will be using TS for one or two lunches but mostly for dinners. I think I'll best use it by splitting some CS meals and maybe TS meals on occasion. DH and I do that when we eat out unless we want leftovers for work the next day. Since I'm not planning on taking any food back to the room I'd rather do that than either overeat or leave half a meal on my plate! I also plan to eat OOP for breakfast or eating bagels and such in the room as was mentioned.

Thanks for all the tips!

I'm not trying to always get the most $ value out of the plan, just the best use of the plan. I will be using TS for one or two lunches but mostly for dinners. I think I'll best use it by splitting some CS meals and maybe TS meals on occasion. DH and I do that when we eat out unless we want leftovers for work the next day. Since I'm not planning on taking any food back to the room I'd rather do that than either overeat or leave half a meal on my plate! I also plan to eat OOP for breakfast or eating bagels and such in the room as was mentioned.

Thanks for all the tips!

We do this at Disney as well. My DD likes breakfast in the morning so we generally make sure we stop in the resort QS. Her DH and I do not really have much so we order two meals and the thee of us will share. My DGD will just get yogurt of a piece of fruit. At lunch my DDIL and I or my DH and I share a meal. WE really are not trying to sretch the credits. although this is a benefit. We just don't like to need a nap after lunch! Also we don't carry leftovers through the park, so this keeps the waste down and leaves room for a snack or two.

Several years ago we learned the hard way that there really is enough CS meals for the trip. We purchased a few OOP, before we used up the ones we had, thinking that we would be short. Well it was August, and too hot to eat three full meals a day. Now we use up the CS credits and if we need to buy OOP we do when they are gone. SO far we have not needed to do that.

My 1st trip in 2007 was for 10 days during a convention using the basic plan. I used a TS my 1st night @ Maya Grill (Thurs.), Chef Mickey's Breakfast (Fri), lunch @ Cap'n Jack (Sat.), Maya Grill for a buffet breakfast (Sunday- picked up extra fruit for a long day at church), lunch @ 50's Prime Time (Mon & Wed), dinner @Boatwright's (Tues.), dinner @ Cape May Buffet (Thurs.) and dinner @Cap'n Jack (Sat.). The rest I used QS @ Pepper Market.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter