DDP instead of DDE -Revolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLSnell1981

Tiny bubbles... make me happy... make me feel fine
Okay, I know I am going to be bashed for this, I do not see another way that will get Disney's attention like this will.

This goes against everything I believe....but I think the only way we can really be heard in a significant way would be to purchase DDP instead of DDE and (this hurts me to say this) NOT LEAVE A GRATUITY!

I do not think this it is fair for Disney to put this burden totally on the shoulders of DDE. It makes absolutely NO sense to take the gratuity out of the DDP so "customers can decide how much "gratuity" they wish to leave, but institute a mandatory service charge ONLY on DDE. This WILL also include buffets and any counter service locations that accepts DDE.

I believe the reason Disney did this was to avoid STICKER SHOCK on the increase they were going to have to put on DDP. I can't believe "experienced" negotiators came up with this lame idea in their lastest contracts.

I'm taking cover.

It is my understanding that that the DDE mandatory service charge will only be instituted for DDE diners at Table Service restaurants and special events, not counter service.

The mandatory service charge will also be instrituted at ALL Table Service restaurants for ALL dining parties of 6 or more - regardless of the diner-types (DDP, DDE or not).

But I'm sure the suits will clarify all this eventually...

agnes!
PS - No flames from me, but I just couldn't do it to the servers. I'll leave the 18% service charge intact (and not pay a penny more) but will discuss my options with the restaurant manager if the service has been lacking.

The 18% will be across the board at all TS restaurants whether you are DDE, DDP or OOP cash. It is not just DDE that will be getting checks with the 18% added.

The 18% is not mandatory it is just automatic. If you dont want to pay the 18% then have the server get the manager so that it can be removed from your check. They (Disney) can not force you to pay any particular amount. I cant imagine that many people would have the 18% taken off unless the service was horrible. Many folks may add some additional tip if it is warranted.

In the case of buffets, I agree that 18% is more than we would customarily leave as the server is basically getting beverages and clearing plates. We typically see our server at a buffet about 2 times and leave 10%-15% tip. That is in no way indicative of bad service from the server, that is all that is usually required in a buffet atmosphere.

Many large resorts use the automatice 18% gratuity. Its not our favorite way to handle gratuity, but it is not out of the ordinary.

Counter service locations WILL NOT be adding the 18% tip. THat was clarified in an email from Disney to all DDE card holders. The first email that they sent was worded poorly and it appeared that the tip would be added at counter service. They corrected the wording and clarified that there would be no gratuity added to counter service restaurants.

While I see your point in trying to make Disney listen to the masses who strongly disagree with this new policy, stiffing the servers would be a terrible way to make that point. They have done nothing wrong and most are just trying to make a decent living and provide good service to Disney guests.

In a way I can see where you are coming from, but I just opted not to do either and to take my dining business off site. I always have a car so I have no intentions of spending my dining money on site.
In fairness, it is not the servers fault and they should not be penalized. They have mortgages, car payments, children to take care of..., so if I choose to eat on site I will still tip accordingly--I just doubt I'll be eating on site.
I'll start in April when I do three nights at AKL CL--no ADR's and no intention of staying on site to dine. While I'm there I am also chosing not to enter the parks--just lodging for me. I hope to go to Sea World and perhaps a day at Aquatica if it is open. I may have DVC but that is only lodging, I agreed to purchase lodging, so lodging is all I'll be doing!

Had this plan effected DDP I was planning to drop my DDP and even move off site eating very few meals in the parks and no Table Services at all. There are 100's of places off site to eat. Many are Dinner shows that my kids would enjoy just as much as a Character dinner.

Disney would have to take notice if people quit eating onsite! They have too much off site competition.

I don't think it makes any sense to pubish the servers because you disagree with Disney policies. If you want to send a message, skip the DDE and DDP, stay offsite, onsite with a rental car, or DVC, and don't eat at Disney restaurants.

By getting DDP and continuing to eat at Disney restaurants, you aren't sending any sort of message to Disney because they're still getting your $$$$. You're just screwing the servers, who had little if any input into the new policy. If there is any message with that idea, it is that you dislike Disney's policies, but not strongly enough to skip your favorite Disney restaurants to express your displeasure.

The 18% will be across the board at all TS restaurants whether you are DDE, DDP or OOP cash. It is not just DDE that will be getting checks with the 18% added.

The 18% is not mandatory it is just automatic. If you dont want to pay the 18% then have the server get the manager so that it can be removed from your check. They (Disney) can not force you to pay any particular amount. I cant imagine that many people would have the 18% taken off unless the service was horrible. Many folks may add some additional tip if it is warranted.

In the case of buffets, I agree that 18% is more than we would customarily leave as the server is basically getting beverages and clearing plates. We typically see our server at a buffet about 2 times and leave 10%-15% tip. That is in no way indicative of bad service from the server, that is all that is usually required in a buffet atmosphere.

Many large resorts use the automatice 18% gratuity. Its not our favorite way to handle gratuity, but it is not out of the ordinary.

Counter service locations WILL NOT be adding the 18% tip. THat was clarified in an email from Disney to all DDE card holders. The first email that they sent was worded poorly and it appeared that the tip would be added at counter service. They corrected the wording and clarified that there would be no gratuity added to counter service restaurants.

While I see your point in trying to make Disney listen to the masses who strongly disagree with this new policy, stiffing the servers would be a terrible way to make that point. They have done nothing wrong and most are just trying to make a decent living and provide good service to Disney guests.

I called THREE times and spoke to THREE different CMs. THIS ONLY AFFECTS DDE UNLESS THE PARTY IS 6 OR MORE. It will be charged at EVERY location that accepts DDE...INCLUDING counter service and buffets.

Yes the servers do have a responsibility in this, they vote on these matters with the UNION that CONTRACTED this mess.

It 's really hard for me to even suggest this and I haven't decided what I'm going to do. I bet their union might hear an uproar from their servers if this were to happen.

I don't think it makes any sense to punish the servers because you disagree with Disney policies. ......You're just screwing the servers, who had little if any input into the new policy.

Actually that's incorrect....the SERVERS initiated this change when negotiating their union contract.

I've sent a message to Disney as well...my DVC membership doesn't mandate that I eat in the parks...and with a fully function kitchen...I don't have to.

This was a stupid, idea on their part...someone didn't think this thru. They are going to wind up LOSING more money.

Hi everyone..

We have a great thread stuck at the top of the Disney restaurants for this very subject... to have more than on thread going on this subject becomes difficult to handle...

Can we just keep it to that one thread???? I am locking this one and ask that you continue your conversations on the original thread at the top of the Restaurant Board...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1633420

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter