DDP "entree" question

thorn

Earning My Ears
On the dining plan when it says it includes "entree" and beverage - does that include what is listed with the entree on the menu? For example if the menu says

Braised Beef Short Rib
with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans

Do you get all of that? or are the potatoes and green beans considered "sides"?

Also, I read that some places will let you sub a side for the included beverage as well? So if it says

Angus Bacon Cheeseburger
with choice of two sides

would one QS credit get me the burger and three sides? Or just the burger and one side if I don't get a beverage?

The "entree" component includes everything that is listed in the description of the entree so in the case of the Short Rib since it says "with Potatoes and Green Beans" those would be included. Likewise if the entree says Angus Bacon Cheeseburger with a choice of two sides you would get to choose two side items, but usually there will be a list of specific sides to choose from. You would not be able to choose a side from a separate section of the menu where the items have separate prices listed. These would require payment.

The beverage component is separate from the entree so if the entree description includes two sides you would get the two sides. Now that the dessert component has been removed from the QS meal, it has been less common to be able to substitute something for the beverage, especially in the park QS venues. If you don't want the fountain beverage, you will have to ask if and what you can substitute for it. At some places the option might be another food item or it could just be a bottle of water. You are more likely to be able to sub something for the drink at the resorts because many will use their refillable mug with their meal.

Do you have the DDP (Disney Dining Plan) that includes one Table Service, One Quick Service and two snacks or the QS (Quick Service Plan) with two QS meals and two snacks? If you have the DDP, at the Table Service restaurants you cannot substitute the beverage for another side. Some TS restaurants, however, will let you sub out the dessert component. Not all TS restaurants will have this option, but if they do it will be something of their choosing - most often it has been a small side salad or cup of soup.

Yes, we have the one TS, one QS and 2 snacks plan. I did read that they are more likely to let me sub the beverage at the resorts bc we have the refillable mug, which makes sense. Are substitutions just up to the CM running the register? Or are certain places in the parks more well known for maybe letting you sub something?

Yes, we have the one TS, one QS and 2 snacks plan. I did read that they are more likely to let me sub the beverage at the resorts bc we have the refillable mug, which makes sense. Are substitutions just up to the CM running the register? Or are certain places in the parks more well known for maybe letting you sub something?

I've not seen ANY reports of someone being able to sub something for their drink in the parks. You should still ask at EVERY location, but be prepared to order some kind of drink each time.

Wait... a basic drink (like, a soda) is not included with a QS meal?

It is, yes. You can get, depending on what the location serves, a fountain drink, a bottled drink, or (in 2018) a specialty drink. Plus an entree or "combo" (i.e., entree with a side included in its description).

Incorrect on substitutions for beverages. What the CM's will hopefully do is remind you that you get a bottled drink IN ADDITION to your refillable mug. Every morning we went to the QS food court at our resort, filled up our mugs and grabbed a bottled juice/milk with our breakfasts. I stuck these beverages in our park bag and we drank them once we got through the gates and were waiting at our first ride.

Thankfully we had a CM walk us through the Dining Plan process the first night, because the rest of the week, many staff smiled at us as they watched us pick out drinks from the cooler and said, "You're smart. Lots of people waste that drink credit."

However, we've also seen a fair few reports of folks at resort CS locations be able to swap that drink for a snack credit item, as was the case back in 2015-2016. It's only the park and DS locations that seem to not allow the substitution, presumably because at the resort, the DDP user has the mug already, so why would they need a drink?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter