Ddp And 10 Yo

vanillarum

DIS Veteran
Please understand that I am not trying to "stick it" to Disney, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this ? We will be going to Disney in Aug.,and will be on the DDP. My DD will be 10 at the time, but we have booked her as being 9. She is very petite (tiny), eats like a bird, and has a very narrow comfort zone with food. We have asked her, and she would much rather be on the childrens dining plan. The $ is not the issue, rather the fact that most of the food would be wasted (if eaten at all). Any comments ? Thanx.:thumbsup2

Put on your flame suit! On this board, honesty is a big thing and lying to Disney is just not allowed. This being said, my DS is 10 during our trip this year and looking forward to being on the adult plan. Have you looked at the new menus? My DS couldn't find much that he would order. He had more of an adventurous taste.

If you do decide to go this route, I would prepare for your daughter to be asked her age and for her to be dishonest the entire trip. This means that you are also paying for the wrong ticket for her for the parks. So you are being doubly dishonest...I just don't know if I would be comfortable with that. Most kids are pretty proud to proclaim their double digits! Good luck!

I guess I don't understand why you are looking for comments. What are you expecting people to say?

If $$ aren't an issue, don't lie, book her as the age she really is and she will then have the choice as to which menu she orders off of.

Please understand that I am not trying to "stick it" to Disney, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this ? We will be going to Disney in Aug.,and will be on the DDP. My DD will be 10 at the time, but we have booked her as being 9. She is very petite (tiny), eats like a bird, and has a very narrow comfort zone with food. We have asked her, and she would much rather be on the childrens dining plan. The $ is not the issue, rather the fact that most of the food would be wasted (if eaten at all). Any comments ? Thanx.:thumbsup2

I'm afraid you are trying to "stick it" to Disney. The price of children's meals has nothing to do with how much they eat. They have to do with marketing to get parents to come. The *age* is the key, not how much they eat. Personally, I often eat less than my children do -- I am not given a discount and they aren't bumped up to adult prices.

Your DD will be allowed to order from the children's menu if you have the DDP, even if she is keyed as an adult, so there won't be an issue of waste. You can use an adult credit to purchase a child's meal generally, but you can't use a child's credit to purchase an adult meal.

OK,OK, I SURRENDER ! I'LL PUT HER ON THE ADULT PLAN ! I WAS NOT AWARE THAT SHE COULD ORDER OFF OF THE CHILDRENS MENU WHILE ON THE ADULT PLAN. THANX FOR THE INPUT !:guilty:

OK,OK, I SURRENDER ! I'LL PUT HER ON THE ADULT PLAN ! I WAS NOT AWARE THAT SHE COULD ORDER OFF OF THE CHILDRENS MENU WHILE ON THE ADULT PLAN. THANX FOR THE INPUT !:guilty:

That wasn't so bad . . . just don't ask about bringing back your refillable cups:upsidedow

We did the DDP in October (DD age 9) and this was when the kids menus had just started to change plus our trip was mostly buffets. No problem DD was happy being on kids plan.

December trip (DD still 9). Different menus in all restaurants. DD was not too happy with her choices.

March trip (DD just turning 10). I had set her up for 9 again thinking it would not be a problem and the kids menu would be okay still. After this past week I am moving her up. Not because of the food portions but because of the selection. Very hard to enjoy a creme brulee when your childs dessert selection in sugar free jello or ice cream (AGAIN). I know DD won't eat everything on her plate but she will enjoy picking out anything she wants.

Look at the menus and decide from the choices she will be given. Will she want to eat the same thing for lunch and dinner for a week?

Doesn't Disney usually know how old your children are already? They are like Big Brother. If you have gone in the past, they know your age, blood type and have a urine sample!

They aren't always that up to date. We have done a grand gatherings cruise twice and DD's age came up the same both times and the cruises were about a year and a half appart.

I have two girls 7 and 10, one will be a "child" and the other will be an "adult" with the dining plan. The 7 "child" is looking at the adult menu and trying to get her sister to order things she likes so they can share the meals. I think this will be great. The old reliable Mac and cheese from the kids meal and the adult "GOOD" foods too!

It would be nice if Disney had a juniors meal for ages 10-14 (or something)

It would be smaller portions of the adult menu and priced somewhere in between the child's and adults price (like $27.99 or something). I can always dream can't I?

Hehe... that would be a dream. My guess would be that if they had a junior price, the pricing for the Dining Plan would be $10.99 (3-9) / $34.99 (9-14) / $41.99 (14+). (Note how the 14+ price goes up to account for the 9-14 price going down.)

We have the same issue coming up with DS and have decided to do the DDP but pay for his TS out of pocket and use his for a Signature meal and perhaps a breakfast buffet.

I do wish that Disney had some kind of plan for those of us with picky eating kids who graze!

My son will be 9 this summer when we go to Disney and I am considering not doing the DP. He cringes when he is "made" to order off of the kids menu. We were at Disney last year and on the DDP and really liked it, except for the kids menu. I remember one burger place we ate at didn't even have burger's on the kids menu. And a pizza place didn't have kid's pizza. Can i purchase an adult plan for him even if he is 9? Or maybe i should just get 3 plans and pay for his??? We are a family of 4 (Mom, Dad and 9 and 6 year old) Thoughts?

Can i purchase an adult plan for him even if he is 9? Or maybe i should just get 3 plans and pay for his??? We are a family of 4 (Mom, Dad and 9 and 6 year old) Thoughts?

You can purchase an Adult plan for him, but then you will also have to buy him an Adult park ticket. You won't be able to buy three DDP, then pay for his meals OOP however, as everyone in the room must be on the same plan.

My son will be 9 this summer when we go to Disney and I am considering not doing the DP. He cringes when he is "made" to order off of the kids menu. We were at Disney last year and on the DDP and really liked it, except for the kids menu. I remember one burger place we ate at didn't even have burger's on the kids menu. And a pizza place didn't have kid's pizza. Can i purchase an adult plan for him even if he is 9? Or maybe i should just get 3 plans and pay for his??? We are a family of 4 (Mom, Dad and 9 and 6 year old) Thoughts?

yes you can do this and many people have, but you do also have to pay for an adult park ticket for him too.

We have the same issue coming up with DS and have decided to do the DDP but pay for his TS out of pocket and use his for a Signature meal and perhaps a breakfast buffet.

I do wish that Disney had some kind of plan for those of us with picky eating kids who graze!

I would look this up on other threads before planning on this. What we have been hearing is that they are going to crack down on using child's credit for adult meals. Makes me wonder if they will also crack down on saving credits for other meals.

If you have picky kids who are in the 10+ category, the dining plan may not be for you.

FYI there is a pizza place (Pizzafari at AK) where the child's menu doesn't have pizza, most likely because all the pizzas are the same size and they don't make a smaller portion. I hear Pizza Planet (at MGM) does not have a child's menu and they can order whatever is on the regular menu on the DP. Haven't seen this myself, it came up on another thread.

I must admit my 9yr old DD wouldnt eat much on the kids menu,We will share and de-combo kids meals as someone suggested somewhere!
If I was paying for the plan I would be annoyed at wasting the money but then again I think the kids deal is quite cheap for what you get.
I am not sure my 13yr old DD would be willing to share (not mean just different tastes ) but I am sure between us we will be able to work something out.
We are also planning quite a few buffets and family style meals to help with this problem.
Kids in the uk are not generally offered mac and cheese,pbj and grilled cheese.......is it possible to get a tuna jacket potatoe any where???:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter