DDE Automatic 18% tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all ...

Well ... here I go ... my 2 cents worth.
At first, being told what you must tip is almost insulting (I'm in the 20% group ... in fact, I'm sometimes a little over). I guess no one likes to be told what to do (including me ... rebel that I am :) ).
But as many have said, the reality is that not everyone tips properly (I know that sometimes they are unhappy with the service... we've had a couple of bad experiences, but that's about it over 20 years of visiting).
The next thing that bothered me was the rate for buffet restaurants (which we love :woohoo: ) ... BUT ... I would usually leave at least 15% and there's no way I'm going to quibble over 3%.
Soooooooooo ... all in all, I think I'm ok with it ...
Thanks for listening! This is good therapy! :goodvibes
We're almost ready to start our countdown to our summer 2008 trip! :banana:

Dave

I was always under the impression that the universal rule for tipping a bartender was a buck per drink, regardless of purchase price. Seeing that I'm more of a mixed drink guy, that would make the automatic gratuities for bartenders a bit top heavy in my estimation. My usual Grey Goose and tonic costs about $8, so I'd be tipping over 50% more than usual. That being said, the cost of a cocktail at WDW, including the 18%, is still way below the price of a drink in NYC.

Actually stopping to do that math, maybe *I* should get a DDE card.

I usually spend my 'wobbly-pop' time at Pleasure Island. :thumbsup2 If Pleasure Island had a frequent customer program, I'd have a lot of points. :laughing:

The only drink I order is $8. Since it's a free-pour mixed drink where the quality of the bartender's work directly affects that taste of the drink, I usually tip $1.50 or $2 on this. Total cost per drink $9.50 or $10.

But... if I had DDE..

$8 - 20% discount = $6.40

18% of pre-discounted $8 = $1.44

$6.40 + $1.44 = $7.84 - I'll toss in the additional .16c to make it an even 8$

Wow.. that's like saving $1.50 to 2$ on every drink.. I'm SO doing this.

Knox

In most cases, I'll tip $1 to the bartender for three or four drinks.

David

Not that we have to explain this to anyone, but when it's just the two of us, I leave a buck plus whatever coin is left after paying for the round, every round, with or without a DDE card. Carl and his bretheren will still get post DDE what they got pre DDE and will get the same if I chose not to renew, which is likely. We'd make out 2% by letting them confiscate 18% as opposed to the 20% I'd gladly leave at TS, but if they take $2.70 a round against the buck something I voluntarily leave, it's hard to justify the $65 card.

Bill From PA

I was always under the impression that the universal rule for tipping a bartender was a buck per drink, regardless of purchase price.
A dollar per drink? You are very generous. The reason most drinks aren't in whole dollar amounts at bars is because they're hoping you'll leave the change as a tip. i.e., If a bottle of beer costs $4.75, they're assuming you'll pay with a $5 bill and say "keep the change." There's a martini bar in my hometown, and all of the martinis are priced at some number of dollars and 50 cents, for the same reasons. ($7.50, $8.50, etc)

Do you even pay $1 tip per drink when there are really cheap drink specials (like $1 bottles of beer or 75 cent drafts)?

David

Actually stopping to do that math, maybe *I* should get a DDE card.

I usually spend my 'wobbly-pop' time at Pleasure Island. :thumbsup2

The only drink I order is $8. I usually tip $1.50 or $2 on this. Total cost per drink $9.50 or $10.

But... if I had DDE..

$8 - 20% discount = $6.40

18% of pre-discounted $8 = $1.44

$6.40 + $1.44 = $7.84 - I'll toss in the additional .16c to make it an even 8$

Wow.. that's like saving $1.50 to 2$ on every drink.. I'm SO doing this.

Knox

Raglan Road honors the DDE card, I'm pretty sure the Comedy Warehouse and Adventurer's Club don't. Check on that, though, I was 'impaired' the last time I was there in Oct.

Bill From PA

Bill - I usually spend my evenings at 8Trax or Manniquins or the other dancy-club at the bottom of the hill.. Nope those bars aren't included.. Just half-price entrance to Pleasure Island.

Oh well.. dared to dream..

Knox

A dollar per drink? You are very generous. The reason most drinks aren't in whole dollar amounts at bars is because they're hoping you'll leave the change as a tip. i.e., If a bottle of beer costs $4.75, they're assuming you'll pay with a $5 bill and say "keep the change." There's a martini bar in my hometown, and all of the martinis are priced at some number of dollars and 50 cents, for the same reasons. ($7.50, $8.50, etc)

Do you even pay $1 tip per drink when there are really cheap drink specials (like $1 bottles of beer or 75 cent drafts)?

David

Yes, I do...although it's been ages since I've been to "bladder buster" or nickel beer night! :teeth:

Typically the cocktails that I order go for from about $8 - $12 a piece. Now we're talking Manhattan prices here and if you want to hang out at the new bars/clubs and not some Columbia University dive bar, those prices come with the territory. However, regardless of price, even a $.75 bottle of Bud, I'd still tip a buck a drink. Like I said before, I've always thought that it was simply standard operating procedure and not generous by any means.

Clearly youve never been a server in central florida, at a chain restaurant. I have. Olive Garden, in Orlando. We were busy from opening to close. And some tables I made $100 or more, but others I made 10%. Not bad service. Just people who dont know/care about the rules.

What rules??? Nowhere is there a set of rules stating any diner is required to pay a tip to anyone......it is a commonly accepted practice, but not a rule. Do you think maybe your service level between the two different tips could have resulted in the variation??? I'll bet you don't....in your words, just being there and punching the time-clock should be enough warrant the highest tip possible. I am sure you have good days and bad days, but you also need to expect a difference in your tips if you are having a day where you are a little off. Being off happens to everyone, but in a service job dependent on tips you can't let the bad day effect your customers. By the way, Orlando is not the only place in the world that has busy restaurants......matter of fact, I am going to bet my experience in the industry would make your head spin; I have done it all. I stated earlier, I have worked nearly every position in the restaurant working my way to the executive chef title so do not assume I am clueless. I do understand the view of the server, but I also know they can often have tunnel vision where tips are concerned.

I understand why Disney is doing this. Because we had the same issues at Chilis and OG. People would come in, use a coupon, and instead of making $10 off that table, Id make $5 or less. And guess what? If thats 90% of business (as it is at WDW with the dining program and DDE) then the servers at Disney arent making even close to what they should be. And they do exactly what you suggest. They quit. Which means when they cant keep servers, they either take in less guests (HA NOT an option at WDW) or they give servers more tables, so a restaurant that is meant for the server to have a 3 table section, now has an 8 table section. Which means that server gets penalized for hanging onto her job while the others quit. She wont make 20% of each of those tables, because 1 person cant give 8 tables full service like you get at Disney. So whats the managers options? They cant keep servers, because the smart ones figure out that they can make more money at restaurants on I-Drive where no one has coupons or promotions. Or they can standardize the tipping process, to make sure their employees are being compensated for the work they are doing, in a society that has set up the way servers get compensated. So that they can keep those restaurants fully staffed so as to GUARENTEE you get good service.

So, you have worked at WDW as a server and are stating this from personal experience, or are you just making assumptions??? I would remind you about the DDP, it has always had an included 18% tip, but next year the tip will have to be paid OOP by each guest......this has in no way aided in poor tipping yet so this assertion is ridiculous. Next year we may (or may not) be able to make that assertion, but right now it does not fly. No, she probably won't make 20% on every table, but I bet she will still make more for her time and effort than the dishwasher and line cook who will deal with every table in an indirect way.

The things you say in your paragraphs I agree with 100%. If you work hard, you SHOULD get compensated for it. But you dont always in that proffesion. And its HIGHLY dissapointing to take care of a party of 30, have a $500 bill, and have them leave you $25. Its happened to me, and its happened to every server out there, no matter if they work at Dennys or (insert name of upscale fancy dining)

When you expect 20% out of every customer, you will set yourself up for disappointment. Instead, be grateful for those who tip 20% or more and be gracious for those who do not.....it will make your life less stressful and maybe with an "attitude of gratitude" (which I teach to my employees) you may earn more in tips more consistently. And the whole argument about tipping out other positions of the restaurant is a valid one, but you do realize they are doing part of the work for you which allows to be be freed up for the service of guests. If you are tipping them out and they are not helping appropriately you need to complain to management about it.

Why solve the problem by blaming it on the servers? (CHANGE PROFESSIONS) If all servers listened to your advice, youd be cooking your own food all the time.

You said you normally tip 20% for basic/good service. (and kudos to you for that) If you go to Disney, and the service is less than par, I promise it will take no more than 5 min more, to alert a manager and explain what happened. Having done management in restuarants I can tell you, THE MANAGEMENT WANTS TO MAKE YOU HAPPY and they dont want bad servers. Usually, its just a misunderstanding, and theyre usually more than happy to comp your dessert or a an entree to make up for the misunderstanding. Ntm have a good talking to with the server if he/she made a mistake.

Why blame the servers??? For what?? I have not blamed servers for anything, the servers though want to say, because of the few who do not tip or tip inappropriately everyone should be locked into a mandatory gratuity. My only argument from the beginning has been how now service which is sub-par will be granted a reward that should be reserved for exceptional service. That will make the great servers who are willing to work hard for tips wonder why they are working so hard. If the bad servers are getting the same great tip why not just ease up too.......everyone claims that will not happen, but just watch! As far a cooking my own food, that will never happen.......my workers are important to me, they are not just employees, they are family and I do what is necessary to develop loyalty and a sense of pride in our operations......even the dishwasher knows they have an important part of my business!

Calling management at a WDW restaurant is not a 5 minute process; see one of my previous posts about the one time I did try to get the manager to handle bad service.

bottom line - there are lots of cheapskates out there, and like every situation in life, the bad apples have ruined the bunch, and you're now gonna pay for the bad tippers mistakes. - Sorry. If you dont like Disneys new idea, there are several restaurants on I-Drive who would love to take your money.

Well, as I have said before tipping well is not the problem; tipping well for bad service is the problem. You say sorry, but as a server I bet you really aren't too sorry.:hug: Just a little joke!

:thumbsup2

... I would remind you about the DDP, it has always had an included 18% tip, but next year the tip will have to be paid OOP by each guest......this has in no way aided in poor tipping yet so this assertion is ridiculous. Next year we may (or may not) be able to make that assertion, but right now it does not fly. No, she probably won't make 20% on every table, but I bet she will still make more for her time and effort than the dishwasher and line cook who will deal with every table in an indirect way.

You've actually drawn the correct line of co-relation. The removal of the "included" grat was a big sticking point in contract negotiations earlier this year. The addition of the auto-grat for DDE guests was Disney's offer to compensate for this.

The addition of the auto-grat to the DDE customers is a direct result of the included gratuity being REMOVED from the DDP.

Personally, I think the gratuity should NEVER have been included in the DDP from the beginning. Had this been the case, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Knox

These are my own personal opinions and not those of the DIS etc. :)

You've actually drawn the correct line of co-relation. The removal of the "included" grat was a big sticking point in contract negotiations earlier this year. The addition of the auto-grat for DDE guests was Disney's offer to compensate for this.

The addition of the auto-grat to the DDE customers is a direct result of the included gratuity being REMOVED from the DDP.

Personally, I think the gratuity should NEVER have been included in the DDP from the beginning. Had this been the case, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Knox

These are my own personal opinions and not those of the DIS etc. :)

I totally agree......the DDP (which we have always used untill this year) was overly generous with all it offered. If the tip was not there in the beginning it would have been fine with us to pay tip OOP.

David
We usually leave $1 per drink as well. If you left 25 cents as a tip at a bar in Atlanta, you'd probably not be waited on again any time soon.

I'm really tired of hearing all this stuff about 18% being the regular tipping amount, and if you can't pay it don't go out. Well, if you can't afford for someone to not pay you that amount, get a better job. Tipping is not a law, it's a bonus. Nobody HAS to give it to you. Perhaps those servers in FL need to band together and get the laws changed so they make minimum wage. Why is it that the food costs the same here as it does there at a chain restaurant, yet here in CA the servers get paid $7.50/hr PLUS tips? We're not the only state either. I also don't agree with being told that I HAVE to tip just because someone carried my food out to me. That's their job! My dh delivers pizza part time and I would NEVER expect every person to tip him. Some people do it as a thank you because they didn't have to leave their house to get dinner, but not everybody tips. That's how it works. So enough of the don't go out if you can't pay the tip. It's not a law, and though I DO tip, and tip well, I am not going to stand by and be told I HAVE to tip or how much I HAVE to tip! You don't deserve my tip just because I sat at your table. You earn it. I'm not going to pay someone a tip when they took 1/2 an hour to come take my order even though the place was nearly empty (yes, it happened) and then an hour later STILL don't have my food because they put my order in wrong. Yeah, you think that person still deserves 18%?

Has that happened to you at Disney? Because thats what we're talking about. Disney World. Service at Disneyworld and possibly adding 18% onto that. Not at Cheddars, or Chilis, or Red Lobster, where my order has also been screwed up.

Now, that aside. Wow.

And you're going off on a tangent over nothing, if youve been ignored at a Disney restaurant, then I apologize for what I said. But like I said, its never happened to me. Disney service is always attentive and Im always amazed that their servers are busy but never look 'in the weeds'.

I also find it hard to believe that you wouldnt expect people to tip your DH. Especially after gas, and to keep his car maintained. Dont drivers makes minumim wage? Which here in FL is around $6.20.

IMO your viewpoint is whats wrong with the industry. People dont feel they should have to tip, they feel I should be thanking them for coming in and eating. Which I do, because I appreciate when people get it. But again, being a server is not a slave.

Id love for servers to band together and go on strike. People would sure be ok tipping a measly 18% on their meal if they didnt have the option to go out anymore.

Does anyone know if this 18% required gratuity on the DDE will affect WDW buffets? Those are likely to be our only on-site dining, apart from the odd counter service, during our December visit. Three very picky eaters--with very different ideas of picky!--and one very adventurous eater don't function very well in WDW full-service restaurants.

While I typically, tip 20% or a bit more for excellent full-service, I don't think buffet servers should automatically be tipped 18%.

My apologies if this was discussed earlier. I was trying to read through all of the posts, but some of them are very long and my lunch break is very short! *LOL*

Does anyone know if this 18% required gratuity on the DDE will affect WDW buffets? Those are likely to be our only on-site dining, apart from the odd counter service, during our December visit. Three very picky eaters--with very different ideas of picky!--and one very adventurous eater don't function very well in WDW full-service restaurants.

While I typically, tip 20% or a bit more for excellent full-service, I don't think buffet servers should automatically be tipped 18%.

My apologies if this was discussed earlier. I was trying to read through all of the posts, but some of them are very long and my lunch break is very short! *LOL*

I'm thinking that by "property wide" changes to the DDE program that Disney means to include buffets as well.

DDE is looking even less like an option for us. *sigh*

While I agree servers should be paid a reasonable wage, I also believe it should be part of the published price of the meal, not largely dependent on the gratuity. I never have worked as a server--and probably never will (I'd probably injure a guest or myself!)--I know many people who do, and it is hard work!

Methinks the plan to take a break from WDW for a few years after this visit is a very good one. I really am not fond of the changes they've made. I'll be voting with my wallet! *LOL*

I believe an earlier posting made a very good point.

Disney has transferred it's advertising $$$ to England and Europe....talk to fiends in London and see how tired they are of WDW ads on TV!

As guests from other cultures arrive on our shores, they will bring tipping traditions which are far different than ours - like NOT tipping as a rule.

Perhaps WDW is just protecting from that eventuality.

DDE is looking even less like an option for us. *sigh*

While I agree servers should be paid a reasonable wage, I also believe it should be part of the published price of the meal, not largely dependent on the gratuity. I never have worked as a server--and probably never will (I'd probably injure a guest or myself!)--I know many people who do, and it is hard work!

Methinks the plan to take a break from WDW for a few years after this visit is a very good one. I really am not fond of the changes they've made. I'll be voting with my wallet! *LOL*

That's probably the best, and most effective way of letting your voice be heard...by holding back your hard earned cash. :thumbsup2

I think that Disney has probably considered all sides of the debate and found that, as in most things in life, some will love the change (saving them more money than usual), some will hate it (costing them more than usual), and the overwhelming majority just won't care one way or the other.

Has that happened to you at Disney? Because thats what we're talking about. Disney World. Service at Disneyworld and possibly adding 18% onto that. Not at Cheddars, or Chilis, or Red Lobster, where my order has also been screwed up.

Now, that aside. Wow.

And you're going off on a tangent over nothing, if youve been ignored at a Disney restaurant, then I apologize for what I said. But like I said, its never happened to me. Disney service is always attentive and Im always amazed that their servers are busy but never look 'in the weeds'.

I also find it hard to believe that you wouldnt expect people to tip your DH. Especially after gas, and to keep his car maintained. Dont drivers makes minumim wage? Which here in FL is around $6.20.

IMO your viewpoint is whats wrong with the industry. People dont feel they should have to tip, they feel I should be thanking them for coming in and eating. Which I do, because I appreciate when people get it. But again, being a server is not a slave.

Id love for servers to band together and go on strike. People would sure be ok tipping a measly 18% on their meal if they didnt have the option to go out anymore.

Be careful, you are beginning to sound like a nut.......measly 18%, what is wrong with you. If 18% is now considered a measly tip we are in real trouble. Just out of curiosity, how big does the tip need to be and what exactly should the guest expect from you for it??? There is a huge group of people entering the work force over the last few years who feel everyone owes them something for nothing in return. Has the idea of work hard for a fair days wage gone by the wayside??? Go ahead and unionize, because when you go out on strike (and are earning nothing) I will still have a staff of happy loyal employees working for me (and earning money), who understand the basic concept of the customer service industry: Serve the customer's (internal & external) needs first, treat my customers (internal & external) with respect, and have an "attitude of gratitude"!!!! Pretty simple really.

My rant is now over! :rolleyes1

Just re-read my post.......the nut thing sounded harsh......sorry, it was meant to be funny but did not seem so after re-reading it!!!

:confused3 Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter