DDE Automatic 18% tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am part of group 3. [I am in the 20% usual tip ] However your last line "the only way to get the servers a wage they deserve" That is not true the best way is to PAY THEM ONE increase the actual prices of the food to cover that and be done with it.

In essence, isn't that what this 18% tack on is? Disney just increased DDE food prices 18% and you don't tip the server. It's no longer a tip/gratuity if you don't have a choice. It's just alot more palatable to announce it this way (and deflect some of the blame onto the servers) than it is to increase food/drink prices almost 20% across the board.

I just called the DDE number and asked that specific question. Yes, DDE purchases at the Rose & Crown bar are covered by the new rule, so tack another $1.35 on to that $7.50 Stella. So much for us paying $65 to renew our card next spring.

Bill From PA

Ouch! I am glad I didn't sign up for the Wine and Dine (which is way too steep anyway - give me 3 buck Chuck from Trader Joes anyday over a $40 bottle of wine!) Wonder if they will tack on 18% to that as well? For a 7 night stay that adds up to about $50!:scared1:

I tip 20% normally - I just liked the convenience of not carrying around cash all day!

Sarah

I just called the DDE number and asked that specific question. Yes, DDE purchases at the Rose & Crown bar are covered by the new rule, so tack another $1.35 on to that $7.50 Stella. So much for us paying $65 to renew our card next spring.

Wow. That's good to know. Ours expires next month. Have to give this some thought. Probably still a good deal, but .........

I just want to stress that lots of people are getting LOTS of different answers by calling the DDE numbers, the WDW DINE numbers and general Guest Relations numbers. I just called and got a completely DIFFERENT answer about the beer at R & C.

Which one is right? I suspect yours is -- but honestly at this point - who could possibly know?

I suspect there will be a formal press release today sometime that will answer a lot of these questions in detail, but until that arrives, I wouldn't go cancelling your DDE just yet.

:)

Knox

its not the prices vs percentages thats wrong its perception.

In the system we have set up you assume you are going to get good service. Not amazing service. Not bad service. Good Service. So assuming you get good service, you should be tipping the standard percent. Which is 18%.

But people dont. They tip 10%. Maaaaybe 12%. If you're lucky? 15%.

People get upset they are tipping on the sales. Well, servers must tip their bus, bar and QA every night, based on their sales. Where i've worked it was standard 10% busser and then 5% bar and 5% QA. So if I made $700 in sales, I'm (hopefully) ending my night with at least $70. Then $7 will go to the busser, $3.50 to the bar and $3.50 to the QA.

I worked at Chilis and Olive Garden and was considered a very good server. Most nights I was lucky to walk out of there with 10% of my sales.

What people dont get (or dont want to think about) is that GOING OUT IS EXPENSIVE. And you factor tip into the cost of going out to dinner. So many times it felt like a couple had $20 to their name. And they came in, had dinner racked up $18 worth of food and then let you "keep the change".

Dont like tipping what your supposed to, even though your server might have been a little less than par? Then dont go out. Unless you watched the server stand around and do nothing (and ive seen it once, at steak and shake), they were working. Everyone has bad days at work, and when I come into my office and mess things up, they dont dock my pay cuz i had a bad day.

Sit down and think about it. You can go to your local supermarket and probably eat a weeks worth of the one meal you order. $30 for a single steak. $50 for a bottle of wine. etc etc. You're paying for a company to buy the product in bulk, paying for the staff to prep and cook it, paying for it to be served and for the company to make a profit off of that. If you're unhappy with what that costs, then stay home and do it yourself. Nothing will go wrong, and everything will be to your liking.

I've got to believe that there was a significant number of people leaving without leaving a gratuity. Some of our foreign brethren have different customs and might not have left anything and others of us are just cheap and may also have left nothing. Just read the comments on this thread and read between the lines. JMO.

Wow. That's good to know. Ours expires next month. Have to give this some thought. Probably still a good deal, but .........

So, because they may be planning on adding a mandatory tip to the booze you think it's wrong......hmmmm, does that make you one of the cheap ones referred to in your previous post or am I just reading between the lines too much....:confused3

Just a little good natured ribbing......:flower3:

:thumbsup2

If you're unhappy with what that costs, then stay home and do it yourself. Nothing will go wrong, and everything will be to your liking.

Not if *I'm* doin the cookin'! :laughing:

:)

Knox

In the system we have set up you assume you are going to get good service. Not amazing service. Not bad service. Good Service. So assuming you get good service, you should be tipping the standard percent. Which is 18%.

But people dont. They tip 10%. Maaaaybe 12%. If you're lucky? 15%.

You have backed up exactly what I have said. Servers no longer want to work for their tips, they feel entitled to large tips because you dare walk into the restaurant where they happen to work. 18% is not the standard for good service it is the middle ground of tipping guidlines.......20% has always been the high end mark for average/good service and 15% has been the low end for average service. More is awarded for exceptional service. But as I have said, the idea of a mandatory tip does not allow the diner to adjust the tip for poor/good/exceptional service without the hassle of fetching a manager to make the adjustment. If your average tip is 10-12% I would rethink my profession.

Here are a some online references:
Tipping Guide 1
Tipping Guide 2
Tipping Guide 3
Tipping Guide 4

Dont like tipping what your supposed to, even though your server might have been a little less than par? Then dont go out. Unless you watched the server stand around and do nothing (and ive seen it once, at steak and shake), they were working. Everyone has bad days at work, and when I come into my office and mess things up, they dont dock my pay cuz i had a bad day.

Don't like having to work for your tip, then get a different job! I do not care what kind of day you have, do not bring it to the customer.....they should not have to deal with your personal garbage. Yes, people should plan on a tip if they are going out to dinner, but they should tip based on the quality of service given, they should not tip based on a false idea of "you owe me this much since you came to my table". I do not often see servers standing around in my establishments, they are too busy serving the customer since that is the job they are hired to do.....oh yeah, that service to the customer also increases their tips (imagine that). No, if you have a job that is not based on tip generation you will not lose money for having a bad day, but if you do work for tips and allow yourself to give poor service it will affect your income. Again, if the bad out-weighs the good, change your profession.

Sit down and think about it. You can go to your local supermarket and probably eat a weeks worth of the one meal you order. $30 for a single steak. $50 for a bottle of wine. etc etc. You're paying for a company to buy the product in bulk, paying for the staff to prep and cook it, paying for it to be served and for the company to make a profit off of that. If you're unhappy with what that costs, then stay home and do it yourself. Nothing will go wrong, and everything will be to your liking.

Yes, I can go home and feed my family for a fraction of the cost of a night out in a fine restaurant, but I go out so I can be served. I will always pay for what I receive when I go out to a restaurant, but I will not be told I have to pay for something I did not receive. If you work hard for the customer you will make a decent wage (no, not everyone will tip appropriately, but many will). Working as a server can be very lucrative, but it will never generate a consistent high wage. If you don't like the rate of pay received for the level of service you are willing to provide, you too can stay home.....or get a different job!

:thumbsup2

Bill From PA

I guess I am confused. Were you not tipping before on your bar tabs? We always still tipped with our alcohol/bar tabs. Especially at the Gurgling Suitcase, where our savings usually equaled the cost of a card in a single trip. :thumbsup2

You have backed up exactly what I have said. Servers no longer want to work for their tips, they feel entitled to large tips because you dare walk into the restaurant where they happen to work. 18% is not the standard for good service it is the middle ground of tipping guidlines.......20% has alwa....

1st of all, serving has always been an 'extra money' profession for me. Ive never done it as my sole job. I know I wouldnt last long if I did.

Clearly youve never been a server in central florida, at a chain restaurant. I have. Olive Garden, in Orlando. We were busy from opening to close. And some tables I made $100 or more, but others I made 10%. Not bad service. Just people who dont know/care about the rules.

I understand why Disney is doing this. Because we had the same issues at Chilis and OG. People would come in, use a coupon, and instead of making $10 off that table, Id make $5 or less. And guess what? If thats 90% of business (as it is at WDW with the dining program and DDE) then the servers at Disney arent making even close to what they should be. And they do exactly what you suggest. They quit. Which means when they cant keep servers, they either take in less guests (HA NOT an option at WDW) or they give servers more tables, so a restaurant that is meant for the server to have a 3 table section, now has an 8 table section. Which means that server gets penalized for hanging onto her job while the others quit. She wont make 20% of each of those tables, because 1 person cant give 8 tables full service like you get at Disney. So whats the managers options? They cant keep servers, because the smart ones figure out that they can make more money at restaurants on I-Drive where no one has coupons or promotions. Or they can standardize the tipping process, to make sure their employees are being compensated for the work they are doing, in a society that has set up the way servers get compensated. So that they can keep those restaurants fully staffed so as to GUARENTEE you get good service.

The things you say in your paragraphs I agree with 100%. If you work hard, you SHOULD get compensated for it. But you dont always in that proffesion. And its HIGHLY dissapointing to take care of a party of 30, have a $500 bill, and have them leave you $25. Its happened to me, and its happened to every server out there, no matter if they work at Dennys or (insert name of upscale fancy dining)

Why solve the problem by blaming it on the servers? (CHANGE PROFESSIONS) If all servers listened to your advice, youd be cooking your own food all the time.

You said you normally tip 20% for basic/good service. (and kudos to you for that) If you go to Disney, and the service is less than par, I promise it will take no more than 5 min more, to alert a manager and explain what happened. Having done management in restuarants I can tell you, THE MANAGEMENT WANTS TO MAKE YOU HAPPY and they dont want bad servers. Usually, its just a misunderstanding, and theyre usually more than happy to comp your dessert or a an entree to make up for the misunderstanding. Ntm have a good talking to with the server if he/she made a mistake.

bottom line - there are lots of cheapskates out there, and like every situation in life, the bad apples have ruined the bunch, and you're now gonna pay for the bad tippers mistakes. - Sorry. If you dont like Disneys new idea, there are several restaurants on I-Drive who would love to take your money.

I guess I am confused. Were you not tipping before on your bar tabs? We always still tipped with our alcohol/bar tabs. Especially at the Gurgling Suitcase, where our savings usually equaled the cost of a card in a single trip. :thumbsup2

I tip on every round I buy, but not $2.70 for two beers, or in other words, not 18%. Many posters on this and related threads indicate that they make a sharp distinction between full table service tipping and that in a self serve buffet. I make a distinction between full table service and the pulling of a tap. I decided to get a DDE card for our 11 day March 2007 trip when I calculated that it would pay for itself in the Rose & Crown alone, given the 20% savings AND factoring in my usual tip per round. The math doesn't work nearly as well if a round is $17.70 plus tax as opposed to $15.00. Believe me, Carl, seen faithfully performing his sacred calling in the pic below, ends up with quite a bit of my cash by the end of a WDW trip, and he does it with far less effort than Patrick in Le Cellier expends on a single meal.

Bill From PA

bottom line - there are lots of cheapskates out there, and like every situation in life, the bad apples have ruined the bunch, and you're now gonna pay for the bad tippers mistakes. - Sorry. If you dont like Disneys new idea, there are several restaurants on I-Drive who would love to take your money.

Just to be clear.. this DDE change was offered up in the union negotiations in exchange for removing the 'Disney paid' gratuity on the Disney Dining Plan.

Most servers were against this as noted elsewhere in this thread.

In any event, none of this was precipitated by bad tippers or bad apples. :)

Knox

1st of all, serving has always been an 'extra money' profession for me. Ive never done it as my sole job. I know I wouldnt last long if I did.

Clearly youve never been a server in central florida, at a chain restaurant. I have. Olive Garden, in Orlando. We were busy from opening to close. And some tables I made $100 or more, but others I made 10%. Not bad service. Just people who dont know/care about the rules.

I understand why Disney is doing this. Because we had the same issues at Chilis and OG. People would come in, use a coupon, and instead of making $10 off that table, Id make $5 or less. And guess what? If thats 90% of business (as it is at WDW with the dining program and DDE) then the servers at Disney arent making even close to what they should be. And they do exactly what you suggest. They quit. Which means when they cant keep servers, they either take in less guests (HA NOT an option at WDW) or they give servers more tables, so a restaurant that is meant for the server to have a 3 table section, now has an 8 table section. Which means that server gets penalized for hanging onto her job while the others quit. She wont make 20% of each of those tables, because 1 person cant give 8 tables full service like you get at Disney. So whats the managers options? They cant keep servers, because the smart ones figure out that they can make more money at restaurants on I-Drive where no one has coupons or promotions. Or they can standardize the tipping process, to make sure their employees are being compensated for the work they are doing, in a society that has set up the way servers get compensated. So that they can keep those restaurants fully staffed so as to GUARENTEE you get good service.

The things you say in your paragraphs I agree with 100%. If you work hard, you SHOULD get compensated for it. But you dont always in that proffesion. And its HIGHLY dissapointing to take care of a party of 30, have a $500 bill, and have them leave you $25. Its happened to me, and its happened to every server out there, no matter if they work at Dennys or (insert name of upscale fancy dining)

Why solve the problem by blaming it on the servers? (CHANGE PROFESSIONS) If all servers listened to your advice, youd be cooking your own food all the time.

You said you normally tip 20% for basic/good service. (and kudos to you for that) If you go to Disney, and the service is less than par, I promise it will take no more than 5 min more, to alert a manager and explain what happened. Having done management in restuarants I can tell you, THE MANAGEMENT WANTS TO MAKE YOU HAPPY and they dont want bad servers. Usually, its just a misunderstanding, and theyre usually more than happy to comp your dessert or a an entree to make up for the misunderstanding. Ntm have a good talking to with the server if he/she made a mistake.

Thank you! You are so true!

I have watched threads here when people complain about tipping a valet when he has emptied the minivan loaded down with two weeks of supplies for a family of 5.

Curious enough - these threads are ALSO filled with people who actually DEFEND Disney's price increases. $72 for one day at one park....$315 for the Beach Club in Value Season (compared to resorts outside the Disney property with larger, better equipped rooms)....PLEASE!

For ONCE Disney is supporting it's waitstaff who traditionally are tipped less for the same service by people who are "on a vacation budget".

I don't have a problem with supporting people who actually make about $3.50 p/hour before gratuities.

In my experience, I have found the dining service at WDW superb - but perhaps it's a factor of how WE treat THEM.

Thank you for listening.

Cathy

I'm really tired of hearing all this stuff about 18% being the regular tipping amount, and if you can't pay it don't go out. Well, if you can't afford for someone to not pay you that amount, get a better job. Tipping is not a law, it's a bonus. Nobody HAS to give it to you. Perhaps those servers in FL need to band together and get the laws changed so they make minimum wage. Why is it that the food costs the same here as it does there at a chain restaurant, yet here in CA the servers get paid $7.50/hr PLUS tips? We're not the only state either. I also don't agree with being told that I HAVE to tip just because someone carried my food out to me. That's their job! My dh delivers pizza part time and I would NEVER expect every person to tip him. Some people do it as a thank you because they didn't have to leave their house to get dinner, but not everybody tips. That's how it works. So enough of the don't go out if you can't pay the tip. It's not a law, and though I DO tip, and tip well, I am not going to stand by and be told I HAVE to tip or how much I HAVE to tip! You don't deserve my tip just because I sat at your table. You earn it. I'm not going to pay someone a tip when they took 1/2 an hour to come take my order even though the place was nearly empty (yes, it happened) and then an hour later STILL don't have my food because they put my order in wrong. Yeah, you think that person still deserves 18%?

Just a reminder post that as of last check - this policy ONLY applies to Disney Dining Experience guests and to any party of 6 or more.

We're still waiting to see if any other guests are affected.

As of right now, it would appear that those on the Disney Dining Plan and those paying out of pocket are not affected by the auto-gratuity.

We continue to receive conflicting information about whether or not DDE transactions at non-TS service locations (bars, counter service etc) are subject to this autogratuity. As I noted several posts back, I got a different response from Bill when I called and asked the same question.

The full policy is NOT clear yet.

The admins of the DIS and the parent site, WDWINFO.COM are actively seeking full answers from Disney Media Relations to best explain this policy.

Thanks,

Knox

I'm sorry, but it is absolutely ridiculous to expect an 18% tip on a bar tab. I'm with Bill on this one. Bartenders are not paid sub-minimum wage like regular waitstaff. Not only that, but the drinks in Disney bars are grossly overpriced to begin with. I sure as heck am not going to pay a $3-4 tip on a $20 bar tab, when that $20 buys (at most) three drinks. In most cases, I'll tip $1 to the bartender for three or four drinks.

This just confirms that DDE is not for me... nor will it ever be, based on the trend.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter