• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

I suppose. But it was becoming pretty obvious that something had to be done... and right now.
Especially after Carpenter got up into the fence like that.
Remember Dan Wheldon?
Absolutely. But I guess the point I was trying to make was that they knew they had this problem well before Sunday morning... I mean, 2 other cars ended up upside down last week before they ever went to the qualifying trim.

And I hear Hinch was taken to the hospital today. I haven't seen the video, but it sounds like he might have gotten up in the air or at least rolled onto the side at one point.

Edit: Found the video

The thing I just don't get is why they went through all the effort to research and study the cars when they went to the DW12 chassis which is supposed to be less susceptible to taking off like that. Only to turn it over to the manufacturers a few years later to add their own aerodynamics that clearly haven't been studied enough to be certain that they meet the same criteria. :confused3

Last edited:
The kid flew in early this morning. Already can't wait until the fall semester starts.

A sad day here as the cat died this morning. There were a lot of tears, but the dds seem to be doing better this afternoon.

Sorry to hear Norm, hope the kids are doing OK.

:lmao: This kills me... It's actually the second time we've been at this person's wedding. First time about 30 years ago (her husband died, she remarried).
Both times... no alcohol. She's Mennonite.

You must really like this person, two weddings without booze?

But I guess the point I was trying to make was that they knew they had this problem well before Sunday morning... I mean, 2 other cars ended up upside down last week before they ever went to the qualifying trim.

Oh, yeah. I see what you mean. It should've been addressed earlier.
I guess they had to see it happen one more time before they figured it out. :sad2:

And I hear Hinch was taken to the hospital today. I haven't seen the video, but it sounds like he might have gotten up in the air or at least rolled onto the side at one point.

Hadn't heard that! Thanks for the link. Hopefully he's okay.

The thing I just don't get is why they went through all the effort to research and study the cars when they went to the DW12 chassis which is supposed to be less susceptible to taking off like that. Only to turn it over to the manufacturers a few years later to add their own aerodynamics that clearly haven't been studied enough to be certain that they meet the same criteria. :confused3

Gotta go faster.
Need more downforce.
But I gotta go faster.
No. Have to be safe. More downforce.
Faster!
Safer!
Faster!
Safer!

ad infinitum

You must really like this person, two weddings without booze?

DWs favourite cousin.
"I don't want to go. It's a two hour drive. No drinking, no dancing, sitting with people I don't know... I'm not going."
And then DW tells me that I'm going.

So I go.

Okay folks, back from the latest adventure to the land of mouse. Was a great trip, with all the important stuff falling nicely into place. Had a room at SSR grandstands by 1130 and after a minor glitch with the wife's Magic Bands, we were settled in on the fourth floor, which was really nice since no one was running around above our heads. Busses were generally good, the worst being EPCOT at night, but overall pretty prompt. Had an hysterical bus driver the first trip which was Magic Kingdom. After 22 trips finally found out why such cold buses, germ supression. His wife also works at the Christmas Tree shop and we were told to greet her like old friends and then ask for items not sold in the store. This guy must be a gem to live with. We didn't see her there, but the DW spotted her outside It's a Small World and we had a nice chat. She's Fawn from Newark Delaware so if you see her, be nice, she's suffering enough. Got a big kick out of the new Macaw show at AK. My wife got video of us being strafed as they took off for their home aviary. If i can figure out how, i'll post it. It's only a few seconds worth but it is action packed. Found out something interesting about one of our favorite resturants. Magino's at Shades of Green. The resturant is accesible to all, not just DOD personnel. Just show a picture id for each adult in your party, and your car may be subject to a search, usually trunk and under hood, if the security posture is raised, like now, but once past the guard shed you can park in the garage and head for the resturant through the second floor lobby. Great italian food as well as steaks at well below the usual disney prices. Not on Disney meal plans however. Took my cousins who are old Disney hands and they were quite impressed. The one major fly in the ointment was the drive home. RT 81 in VA which we know is an issue was a complete BEEATCH yesterday afternoon. But we still made the 1234 mile trip (yup, that's the number from SSR to my driveway) in 18 hours and 20 minutes. So all in all, a good time and the next trip is already booked for the first full week of Nov 2015.

Okay folks, back from the latest adventure to the land of mouse. Was a great trip, with all the important stuff falling nicely into place. Had a room at SSR grandstands by 1130 and after a minor glitch with the wife's Magic Bands, we were settled in on the fourth floor, which was really nice since no one was running around above our heads. Busses were generally good, the worst being EPCOT at night, but overall pretty prompt. Had an hysterical bus driver the first trip which was Magic Kingdom. After 22 trips finally found out why such cold buses, germ supression. So all in all, a good time and the next trip is already booked for the first full week of Nov 2015.

Sounds like a great trip. Some people just avoid Disney transportation because they don't like the wait. Sounds like you had an extra experience. :lmao:

The MBs haven't worked for one of us each trip since we got them. :crazy2:
:lmao: This kills me... It's actually the second time we've been at this person's wedding. First time about 30 years ago (her husband died, she remarried).
Both times... no alcohol. She's Mennonite.
k.

There is an obvious lesson to learn from this story. Clearly, this shows that alcohol saves lives. :lmao:

Sorry to hear Norm, hope the kids are doing OK.
?

Thanks CJ. They both opted to skip sports stuff this afternoon.

Aboard the Fantasy this time. 7 days in the Eastern Carib...

That sounds terrific. Have a great trip. Is it too late to smuggle me aboard?

The kid flew in early this morning. Already can't wait until the fall semester starts.
:rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2: No fare, mine has been home for a month already - what the heck?
Aboard the Fantasy this time. 7 days in the Eastern Carib...
Rest assured, I'm lookin' forward to that.
Good deal and my bad, was including today in the 5 day count and I forgot that we are both sailing the same ship this summer.
Okay folks, back from the latest adventure to the land of mouse. Was a great trip, with all the important stuff falling nicely into place. Had a room at SSR grandstands by 1130 and after a minor glitch with the wife's Magic Bands, we were settled in on the fourth floor, which was really nice since no one was running around above our heads. Busses were generally good, the worst being EPCOT at night, but overall pretty prompt. Had an hysterical bus driver the first trip which was Magic Kingdom. After 22 trips finally found out why such cold buses, germ supression. His wife also works at the Christmas Tree shop and we were told to greet her like old friends and then ask for items not sold in the store. This guy must be a gem to live with. We didn't see her there, but the DW spotted her outside It's a Small World and we had a nice chat. She's Fawn from Newark Delaware so if you see her, be nice, she's suffering enough. Got a big kick out of the new Macaw show at AK. My wife got video of us being strafed as they took off for their home aviary. If i can figure out how, i'll post it. It's only a few seconds worth but it is action packed. Found out something interesting about one of our favorite resturants. Magino's at Shades of Green. The resturant is accesible to all, not just DOD personnel. Just show a picture id for each adult in your party, and your car may be subject to a search, usually trunk and under hood, if the security posture is raised, like now, but once past the guard shed you can park in the garage and head for the resturant through the second floor lobby. Great italian food as well as steaks at well below the usual disney prices. Not on Disney meal plans however. Took my cousins who are old Disney hands and they were quite impressed. The one major fly in the ointment was the drive home. RT 81 in VA which we know is an issue was a complete BEEATCH yesterday afternoon. But we still made the 1234 mile trip (yup, that's the number from SSR to my driveway) in 18 hours and 20 minutes. So all in all, a good time and the next trip is already booked for the first full week of Nov 2015.
Welcome back and sounds like a great trip. Glad you had a good one, though that is pretty much a no brainer having a good one at DaWorld

Evening Guys, we had a long weekend here but I'm not sure where it went. Since Friday, we have travelled about 1000 kilometres, the middle school volleyball team finished up our season playing 6 matches to finish second at the Provincial Championship and then we left right away for Halifax Nova Scotia so Declan's travel soccer team could play a couple of friendlies against two of the top teams in NS and went 1 and 1. I think I will go back to work tomorrow to have a break.

A sad day here as the cat died this morning. There were a lot of tears, but the dds seem to be doing better this afternoon.

Very sorry to hear that Norm, wasn't a good week for pets. I hope the girls are doing better.

Sorry... but I wasn't surprised. Considering it rained every. single. time. it finally dried up enough for me to start trying to mow the yard.

The whole qualification process this year was a cluster to say the least. I understand why they did what they did, but with the schedule and rules changing on the fly, it made it all confusing and quite odd. Based on what the TV announcers were saying yesterday during qualifications for spots 1 - 30, I'm pretty sure that they didn't even understand the changes that had been made to the qualifications process for yesterday's activity.

And I think Eddie Cheever was starting to get a little goofy by the end of the weekend. Maybe trying to come up with something to say during the rain delays got to him? I don't know if you caught any of it, but there were a couple of comments that he made yesterday that cracked me up.

Talking about Simona De Silvestro... Scott Goodyear is talking about her dreams to run F-1 and how she took a year off to be a test driver in F-1. Asked Eddie about his F-1 experience and how it must have been a thrill for her to drive those cars on those world famous tracks. Eddie's comment: I'm glad she's back. Being a test driver in F-1 puts you on the fast track to nowhere.

Another Eddie comment... talking about Bryan Clauson being a USAC dirt car driver. Bestwick and Goodyear talking about how it's nice to see him out there and how he'll be leaving after the 500 to go up to Kokomo, IN to run a midget race that evening. They talked about how it is a throwback to the days of Foyt, Unser, Rutherford, even Stewart. How guys would run those cars and show up and race at Indy. Cheever then drops the bomb that dirt track racers shouldn't be trying to race at Indy. The cars and tracks are just too different.

I don't know what happened, but Eddie turned grumpy old man in a hurry.

Sorry to hear, Norm.

I was fans of both Goodyear and Cheever (even got to sit in one of Goodyear's cars once) but listening to the two of them is like watching paint dry.

the middle school volleyball team finished up our season playing 6 matches to finish second at the Provincial Championship and then we left right away for Halifax Nova Scotia so Declan's travel soccer team could play a couple of friendlies against two of the top teams in NS and went 1 and 1.

second in Province is pretty impressive, as well as 1 and 1 against top two teams.
Congrats to the kiddos!

I was fans of both Goodyear and Cheever (even got to sit in one of Goodyear's cars once) but listening to the two of them is like watching paint dry.

I was a big Goodyear fan too (hello! Canadian!)

Also, Hinch went in for surgery on his upper left thigh and will not race.
Apparently, his car had a broken right front rocker arm which caused the crash.

Top O the Morning Dads! First one here in the morning again, and this late in the morning?
Evening Guys, we had a long weekend here but I'm not sure where it went. Since Friday, we have travelled about 1000 kilometres, the middle school volleyball team finished up our season playing 6 matches to finish second at the Provincial Championship and then we left right away for Halifax Nova Scotia so Declan's travel soccer team could play a couple of friendlies against two of the top teams in NS and went 1 and 1. I think I will go back to work tomorrow to have a break.
Sounds like a great weekend - enjoy these times my friend, enjoy :thumbsup2

second in Province is pretty impressive, as well as 1 and 1 against top two teams.
Congrats to the kiddos!

Top O the Morning Dads! First one here in the morning again, and this late in the morning?

Sounds like a great weekend - enjoy these times my friend, enjoy :thumbsup2

Thanks Guys. It was really nice to be in the stands to watch and cheer. It was the first time I was able to do this with a team DS was involved with since last summer. The volleyball tournament is suppose to be the end of my coaching career (for the 3rd time) and now I can spend the high school years just being the parent. Of course I have been approached by 2 different groups about coaching volleyball next year. One of the travel clubs and an approach about the high school JV team. So far my resolve is holding.

Morning guys. Last day of mini vacation. Pretty much did nothing except sit around and read, and trip plan for August. Still I could get used to this.

Sorry to hear for the loss, hope the kids are doing better.

Morning all. Primary election today in KY, which means a chance to vote for the person you think is the lesser of a liar and will not waste as much money. :crazy2:

Thanks Guys. It was really nice to be in the stands to watch and cheer. It was the first time I was able to do this with a team DS was involved with since last summer. The volleyball tournament is suppose to be the end of my coaching career (for the 3rd time) and now I can spend the high school years just being the parent. Of course I have been approached by 2 different groups about coaching volleyball next year. One of the travel clubs and an approach about the high school JV team. So far my resolve is holding.

I think you need to hold out for a good signing bonus to coach. And, an extra signing bonus for me for posting that thought.

Morning guys. Last day of mini vacation. Pretty much did nothing except sit around and read, and trip plan for August. Still I could get used to this.

Sorry to hear for the loss, hope the kids are doing better.

Thanks. Youngest dd asked if the cat went to Heaven last night before bed. I may have to find that Disney movie to show her.

Those staycations are enjoyable. Not as much as trips to Disney, but it feels good to relax and saves some $ for those Disney trips.

I think you need to hold out for a good signing bonus to coach. And, an extra signing bonus for me for posting that thought.

What do you think, a couple bottles of scotch?

Thanks. Youngest dd asked if the cat went to Heaven last night before bed. I may have to find that Disney movie to show her.

I just got a call from the vet's office to say our dog's ashes are ready to be picked up, not sure if I want to pick them up today or not.

Did someone say scotch?

Come to think of it, where might be a good place to sit and enjoy a bit of scotch in Disney?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter