DDA Chapter 27

It has occurred to me that he might think that is subject matter he thinks a teen male ought to be using. I hope that is all it is. :hug:

This could be true. Or it could be styled after certain kinds of music. :hug:

I can't believe how hard it was to say goodbye again. I feel guilty being so sad, because this is really everything that we want for our kids, but I feel so empty inside. And it's hitting me that this is how it is going to be now for Laura and us for the next 4 years. Little visits home, some longer than others, followed by weeks and weeks away at school. And with Matthew it's only this year and next. After that, they will hopefully be gone longer and more permanently. Great for them, not so great on me. It's like the beginning of the beginning for them :yay::woohoo::cheer2: but the beginning of the ending for me. :sad2:. I guess I need to find a new beginning for me. :confused:

Hi, everyone. I know I've been away for a while. Katie spent the weekend competing at a Shakespeare Competition, and I went with her. She did wonderfully, and had a great time!

Beth - You seem so sad! I know that you are proud of Matthew and Laura, but it must be so hard to see them growing and going! I'm proud of you for standing back and allowing Laura to do what she felt she needed to do. You are a smart momma!

Deb - The poems do seem a bit scary, and I'm so glad that you are being proactive in trying to find out what Nick is feeling! I hope it is just his meds needing to be tweaked! Sometimes I think teenagers write about this kind of stuff because they think it's "expected" of them. However, it is never wise to ignore the writing! You never know when it could be the "real deal". Nick (and you) will be in my prayers as you all work through this!

Elin - I'm so sorry that the first part of your trip was so awful! I'm glad that they tried to make it up to you. You are so wise to report it. No one should have to deal with this kind of "service."

Tia - Congrats on paying off the trip! I can't wait to see what designs and ideas you come up with. My kids are no longer interested in collecting autographs, so I don't think I'll be packing along any more cards, etc. Boo Hoo!!!

Anne Marie - I hear you on the dog thing! I don't want another puppy! Give me a housebroken middle aged dog, any old day!!! I'm so glad that the kids are helping with the puppy, though!

Howdy all!!

I have been dealing with some Jim doo doo (God bless the reminders of why I never, ever would go backward and go back to him)and a few other things so I haven't been around too much.

Deb-while that is a very dark poem...it is very wonderfully written. I am glad that he has agreed to work with someone to make sure it's creativity and not depression working in his brain. It's tough being a parent. There is a young man that I am friends with on facebook who really should be seeing a therapist with his "musings". But it's a family who thinks that psychiatry is a bunch of hooey.

Beth-I'll say it again-it's tough being a parent!! Cassidy has realized that my sister and I are not made from the same cloth...and is having a time of it. But we had our growing pains earlier this year and I have learned where my boundaries are with her. I am still facebook friends with Josh (her long term boyfriend) but I let him set the parameters and Cass gets veto power...if ever it becomes uncomfortable for her I will "lose" him :sad1:

On brighter note: Abi decided to move out of her comfort zone and tried out for the chorus of the fall musical!!:banana:She made it!!:woohoo::woohoo: If you have any spare good thoughts or pixie dust today-it's the last day to sign up for an all music dept. trip in the spring and if they don't have enough it will be cancelled. Which would be a huge bummer for everybody, especially Abi who once again moved out of her comfort zone by even asking to go. While it's a pretty penny I would pay anything to keep her as happy as she seems to be right now. :flower3:

Theresa - Good for her! Choir was the one place where I felt comfortable in HS - which amazingly was made up of all the stereotypes: jocks, brains, popular ones, cheerleaders, etc. and not just the choir geeks.

While I never made any friendships that stuck beyond graduation (in any of my classes) - I can say that all of them were just as great to me in the hallways as they were in the classroom and on trips. That was a wonderful thing for me. I hope for plenty of pixie dust for that trip to go on as planned! :wizard:

Theresa I'm sorry that Jim isn't out of your life yet. Hopefully he will move on soon. It's good that Abi is branching out. It seems like her self esteem is growing and she is branching out.

Good morning, DDA! :sunny:

Beth - It is so hard to have our children grow up and make their way in the world. You have done well and I am glad you realize that there is a new segment in your life coming up too. Find a new hobby, tutor kids, start writing a blog... find something that is just for you. That will help channel that energy you have always put into raising your wonderful children!

Theresa and Glynis - how nice to read about your children this morning. :goodvibes

Theresa - Way to go, Abi!!!! What musical is it? I'll keep my fingers crossed for the trip. That would be fun!

Did I mention that we got our first snowfall of the winter last week??? Yup, you heard me right, we have snow! Luckily, it melted down in the valleys, but our mountain tops are covered in the white stuff. It looks really pretty, but I'm not quite ready for winter, yet. Hopefully, we'll have a resurgence of Indian summer, soon!

Hi, everyone. I know I've been away for a while. Katie spent the weekend competing at a Shakespeare Competition, and I went with her. She did wonderfully, and had a great time!

Beth - You seem so sad! I know that you are proud of Matthew and Laura, but it must be so hard to see them growing and going! I'm proud of you for standing back and allowing Laura to do what she felt she needed to do. You are a smart momma!

Glynis, what a great experience for Katie (and you)! I love being a mother, and I know that this is what I've raised my kids for. I am feeling some sadness, though, that that part of my life is coming to an end. I especially loved having infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, so I guess it's great that I'm working with preschoolers now. I think it was Erma Bombeck who once compared raising children to flying a kite. There is a certain sadness that goes with the joy of letting them go, but only then do you know that you did the job right.

Howdy all!!

I have been dealing with some Jim doo doo (God bless the reminders of why I never, ever would go backward and go back to him)and a few other things so I haven't been around too much.

Beth-I'll say it again-it's tough being a parent!! Cassidy has realized that my sister and I are not made from the same cloth...and is having a time of it. But we had our growing pains earlier this year and I have learned where my boundaries are with her. I am still facebook friends with Josh (her long term boyfriend) but I let him set the parameters and Cass gets veto power...if ever it becomes uncomfortable for her I will "lose" him :sad1:

On brighter note: Abi decided to move out of her comfort zone and tried out for the chorus of the fall musical!!:banana:She made it!!:woohoo::woohoo: If you have any spare good thoughts or pixie dust today-it's the last day to sign up for an all music dept. trip in the spring and if they don't have enough it will be cancelled. Which would be a huge bummer for everybody, especially Abi who once again moved out of her comfort zone by even asking to go. While it's a pretty penny I would pay anything to keep her as happy as she seems to be right now. :flower3:

Theresa, I am sorry that Jim is still invading your life. I am glad that you have the physical distance that you do. CONGRATULATIONS to Abi! I always found it so fun to watch Matthew (and other kids that I know) on stage. I will keep my fingers crossed that her trip is still on!

And, yes, parenting can be difficult. Sometimes it's hard to remember that as much as you love them and they love you, they aren't you. They need to make choices that you may not want them to make. And even worse is allowing them to make mistakes, because that is the only way that they can learn some lessons.

Good morning, DDA! :sunny:

Beth - It is so hard to have our children grow up and make their way in the world. You have done well and I am glad you realize that there is a new segment in your life coming up too. Find a new hobby, tutor kids, start writing a blog... find something that is just for you. That will help channel that energy you have always put into raising your wonderful children!

:goodvibes

Thanks, Elin! I'm not always sure that I'm doing it right, but they seem to have turned out wonderfully despite me (as well as because of me). I've never been very good at change, and this is a huge one. I do hope that I have a long life ahead of me, though, and I want it to be happy and fulfilling, so I need to look at how to make that happen.

Theresa - Way to go, Abi!!!! What musical is it? I'll keep my fingers crossed for the trip. That would be fun!

Did I mention that we got our first snowfall of the winter last week??? Yup, you heard me right, we have snow! Luckily, it melted down in the valleys, but our mountain tops are covered in the white stuff. It looks really pretty, but I'm not quite ready for winter, yet. Hopefully, we'll have a resurgence of Indian summer, soon!

NO SNOW! There were flurries on the hilltops here a week or so ago but nothing that stuck. I really would like to fast forward through winter this year. I've heard reports that it could be a hard one in this area, and I'm just not a winter person anymore.

It's Suessical!!

I miss that...snow in October. I actually miss the west a ton but until Abi is in college I am here. I don't think she would take kindly to me moving her.:rolleyes: Not that I mind a ton because she has blossomed, especially in the last 6 months, and while I don't think the education she is getting here is top notch she is taking advantage of other things that are offered around here.

Theresa - Seussical is a darling show! Tell her to have fun, fun, fun!!!

Elin - Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, yes! We have snow. I'm really hoping it will warm up next week and melt it all away, but I'm afraid the pattern has been set in motion!

Beth - I hate winter weather, too! I love the season, and the first snowfall in DECEMBER would be greatly appreciated. I just think that before Halloween is a bit too much!

Well, I'm really feeling like giving up today! The twins dresser broke beyond repair last night, and my washing machine gave up the ghost. It wouldn't be so bad if Alan had kept up with laundry while I was away with Katie, but he didn't, so I have Mount Washmore in my house, and no way to deal with it! Frustrating! I have to get ready for Scouts this afternoon, and run a bunch of errands, so I don't have time to go to a laundromat today. The closest one is about 35 minutes away, and I don't want to go, drop off, and leave without knowing when I'll be able to get back. On top of that, I have to babysit my destructive niece and nephew this afternoon and don't dare leave them in my house without adult supervision. Not sure what I'm going to do. Crawling back into bed is sounding better and better!

Not sure what I'm going to do. Crawling back into bed is sounding better and better!

Might I suggest putting all the clothes in the tub, along with detergent and put the destructo duo in there with them. But the time they do their thing they ought to be clean. :rotfl2:

Seriously... I hope your day gets better! :hug:

Hello All

We're having our ups and downs around here. Finding a therapist around here is proving to be difficult. I had no idea how messed up our healthcare system is until our intake interview yesterday. We're not on medicaid, not a dysfunctional family, he doesn't have behavioral issues and currently is not a threat to himself or others therefore we can't get services :headache: We're on wait lists and praying that the new therapist at the school will pick him up. In the meantime we learned that a Junior at a neighboring High School committed suicide last night. She was apparently being bullied at school and hung herself. So very tragic. Maybe the schools will become more proactive in helping those kids that need it.

Hello All

We're having our ups and downs around here. Finding a therapist around here is proving to be difficult. I had no idea how messed up our healthcare system is until our intake interview yesterday. We're not on medicaid, not a dysfunctional family, he doesn't have behavioral issues and currently is not a threat to himself or others therefore we can't get services :headache: We're on wait lists and praying that the new therapist at the school will pick him up. In the meantime we learned that a Junior at a neighboring High School committed suicide last night. She was apparently being bullied at school and hung herself. So very tragic. Maybe the schools will become more proactive in helping those kids that need it.

The healthcare system in our country is so broken I don't know how it can be fixed. I am appalled at how difficult it is to get help for those who really need it. I hope you have some luck with Nick's HS therapist. :hug:

Might I suggest putting all the clothes in the tub, along with detergent and put the destructo duo in there with them. But the time they do their thing they ought to be clean. :rotfl2:

Seriously... I hope your day gets better! :hug:

Man! I wish I'd seen this earlier!! That would have been a perfect solution!

Things are much better now. Alan bought us a front loading Maytag washing machine. It's very nice, and I love it!!! I'm not quite sure of "front-loading" procedures, though, so I'd welcome any advice.

Hello All

Oh, Deb! That's awful! I'll keep praying and crossing my fingers that Nick gets the help that he needs.

Deb - I'm so sorry it's taking so long to see someone. That's just not right. :( Prayers that the HS therapist can see him. That's what Kristi's job is and I think it's great having that option for the kids at the schools her company works through. She likes it too as she gets to work with kids and actually help them without having to deal with all of the "school counselor" responsibilities that come with that job and take away from actual counseling.

Glynis - I'm glad things are looking up! Yay for a new washer. Always much easier that way.

Got an extra little bonus tonight when perusing Tour Guide Mike. Someone mentioned their AirTran flights had gone down so I checked and got a $54 credit. That can be used for baggage so now I've got that covered. Plus, I'd been planning to do my best and only check one bag, but with this I'm just going to go ahead and check two. It will just make it easier with the kids, I'm sure to not try and pack tightly for the return to save on that fee. Plus, it means I can for sure take our Christmas stuff!

Also, from the Couponing to Disney blogger, I found out tonight that Disney Movie Rewards currently has a $20 gift card for 750 points. I've never actually redeemed any points so I really wish that I could have put in for more than one reward. Ah well, it's an extra $20!

Hello all. Things are quiet around here at the moment. Hopefully I'll get a good night's sleep. Last night I finally passed out and slept for 7 solid hours. I can't tell you the last time that happened.

Glynis I love my front loader. The best feature in my opinion is the timer. I set it before I leave to come on an hour or so before I get home so the clothes are freshly washed and ready for the dryer. I don't know how I'd get laundry done on a daily basis without it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter