DD16 won concert tickets....but there is a problem....

Chris2597

DIS Veteran
My DD16 won 2 tickets to a teeny bopper concert that is being held in our area this week....DH bought her 2 tickets to this concert as soon as tickets posted for sale for her and her bf to go....tic cost 52.00....Today she was at a friends house and a radio station was having a contest for tics and to meet and greet the star back stage.....She programed her cell and the other two girls phones to call when the dj announced the whatever number caller would win....The other girls were not involved and not interested.....she was the correct caller on one of the other girls phones....all of a sudden the other girls were very interested and wanted her to hand over the tics.....she said no way. The mother of one of the girls even got into it and told my dd since it wasnt her cell phone that won the contest....that she should hand the tics over to her daughter..I guess with that reasoning...if my dd used their house phone and won....she should also give them up.....neither of these girls had any intention of going to this concert until their were free tickets and back stage passes...........My dd enters all of the radio contests (won a few)and the dj's have gotten to know her voice over the phone....so she called and told him the situation and he threw in two more tickets...It has all worked out ..but it just rubs me the wrong way.....I am sure if the shoe were on the other foot these two girls would not be handing back stage tics over to my dd....I would have offered the 2 tics we had payed for to the girls once my dd actually had the tics she won...I could not believe the parent that got involved over this....She would be outraged if anyone said anything like this to her dd.....She actually wanted my dd to give up the two tickets she won....let her dd and the other friend go to the "meet and greet" and have my dd and her bf sit in the cheap seats....These girls could have well afforded to have bought tickets at the same time my dh bought the tickets....so it isnt....oh the poor girls probably couldnt have afforded it.....
What do you all think????? This is really bugging me....
This is the same mother that is constantly getting in the middle of the kids battles.....I have never said anything to her because my motto is kids fight over everything and make up very quickly but adults can do battle for years....so I stay out of things, but it just irks me that my dd was in a sense ganged up on by the two girls and a parent....

I think thats silly too. She was the one who did the calling, right?

If she madethe call her tickets are hers.

I think that your DD should have just walked away and not bothered to argue, but she was nice enough and lucky enough to get 2 more tickets thrown in by the DJ. But, I don't agree with the reasoning behind doing it. :rolleyes:

wow. I can see how the kids can come to want the tickets just through the fact of winning a contest, but a parent pressuring them too like that! Glad your DD didn't let anyone push her around!!

I dont think dd argued....She just told them that she would not put the tickets in their names...then mama entered the picture and tried to convince her....She said she felt very ganged up on...There was really no walking away...we live several miles away.That is when she called the dj and he agreed to arrange for the two other tickets....

Ok, so by the same logic, if I drive my friend to the store to buy a lottery ticket and that ticket wins it's mine right?? That's the stupidest arguement I've ever heard. Your DD is under NO obligation to give them ANY of the tickets she won. They didn't award the tickets to the phone, they awarded them to the person on the phone. I admire your DD for getting extra tickets to appease these so called friends. I'd have told them to shove it.

Your daughter did the calling therefore they are her tickets.. And if another parent was trying to bully my child into giving the tickets up I would have a talk with that parent.. The other parent shouldnt have said anything to your daughter.. It sounds like it all worked out though since she was able to get 2 more tickets, but if it hadnt of then I would have gotten involved..

The tickets belong to your daughter--all 4 of them. She doesn't even have to invite the other friends if she doesn't want to. I understand not wanting to fight your daughter's battles, but I think I would be having a talk with this mother. And I also would be limiting my daughter's time with her friend (if I were you). What an immature parent! I wouldn't want her ways rubbing off on my daughter.

Sounds to me like the tickets were your DD and she was neing kind to even call for more tickets.

Gimme a break the other Mom needs to GROW UP ! and then when she does she needs to GET HER OWN LIFE !

Shugardrawers said:
Ok, so by the same logic, if I drive my friend to the store to buy a lottery ticket and that ticket wins it's mine right?? That's the stupidest arguement I've ever heard.

Even better, what if she sent her daughter over to their house to call in a threat to the President? Would that mom want her daughter to get credit for the call since it was HER phone?

I'm so sorry that your DD felt ganged up on - but you know what? By her calling the DJ to try to obtain more tickets she showed her true nature - kind and generous - while the others involved also showed THEIR true nature (and I don't think I have to tell you what that is, right?)..

Congrats on doing a great job raising your DD.. :)

Thank you to everyone that responded....My first response echoed what everyone here had to say.....My dd and one of the girls have been very close for several years, until this third girl came into the picture.....I have told my dd that sometimes friends can be toxic and maybe it is time to move on....
As far as this mother goes....well...she has pulled similiar things over the years concerning her dd.....the girl is an only (not that all only kids parents are this way) and she always feels her dd is the victim :charac2: hence.....my poor babies cell phone was used to win the tickets....so she should get them..(the minutes used on the cell were free weekend minutes...so it isnt like my dd was using up her prime minutes to use her phone)..I have never interceded about this womans behavior but this time I may have to nicely say something about this....at least to let her know that I am concerned that my dd was "ganged"up on at her home....and aware of it....Like I said this is not the first time.....one other recent event concerned a boy her dd liked, but the boy liked my dd....her mother told my dd off one night on the way home from car pooling to the movies....She told my dd that if she were a true friend she would tell this boy to take a hike....dd didnt like the boy in that way but was not going to loose him as a friend....

The two friends and the mother were being nasty. Your DD would have to decide whether the friendship was worth keeping. If they kept talking about the incident, it would time for you to get involved.

Let's recap the bidding.

Your DD16: May I use your phones to help dial the radio station and improve my chance of winning?

Friend: Sure, go ahead. I don't care about that concert.

At this point it is clear that your DD16 is entitled to the tickets if she won.

If the friend or friends were interested, they should have said,

"Sorry, I (we) would like to try to win the tickets too."

or

"I'm interested too but let's all dial and if any of us win we will split the tickets" (For three people and two tickets they all agree in advance to either all three chip in to buy a third ticket, or they toss a coin)

If your DD wanted to just use her own phone and keep what she won, she could say so and also excuse herself to a different room to dial.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Wow, your poor daughter. She won the tickets - who cares whose cell phone was used.

I am sure you're daughter will eventually learn that this girl is not really a true friend - unfortunately, it may take a while & there may be some hurt feelings in the process.

Maybe casually mention to your daughter one day that in a lot of cases a child grows up to be just like their parent & it looks like this girl is headed in the same direction of her mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :earseek:

BTW - good job with your own daughter. It sounds like she has a great big heart & is really a good friend. :sunny:

Similar to what another poster said, its like a friend loans me his car so I can get a lottery ticket. I win and now my friend says since I used his car, he should get the money.

I'm glad it turned out well for her but if it were me I wouldnt feel the same way anymore about this friend who now wanted the tickets.

Kudos to your DD! I'd be encouraging her to spend less and less time with this "friend" if at all possible.
Lisa
Tiger Fan aka: The Great Tiger!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter