DD13 needs LARGE backpack

NVDisMom

<font color=green>I love to read aloud<br><font co
DD13 carried two messenger bags last year b/c her stuff would not fit all in one back pack.:scared: I am looking for a large pack that will hold it all that doesn't break the bank. She has to have 1-3" binder plus 3-2" binders. Add the occasional text book, the hardback she would be reading at any given time, the utensil packet, and possibly gym clothes...there just isn't enough room and the thing weighs a ton. So sturdy is good.

Bought one for DD when she entered 6th grade. She is now entering 8th and will use the same one. In fact, I anticipate it lasting her through high school. Great reviews online. Super big. Nice, thick shoulder straps. It is $49.95, but it will last multiple years and I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

It is HUGE. I used to be a Land's End back pack buyer, but this one is big enough to hold all of her stuff. Land's End didn't have one large enough.

DS has the Quad PAck # TC59553 from LL Beam and it is huge and he loves it. It will go to college with him.:)

In college (like 15 yrs ago) I bought an oversized Jansport. I was an English major so I had lots of big, heavy books. I still have the backpack and the thing is still like new. I think I paid around $75 at a luggage outlet store for it. I love, love, love the backpack and I assure you it took some abuse.

LLBEAN!!!

And the best part, if it ever rips/tears/breaks that includes the zippers they will replace it for the cost of shipping.

If she really needs to carry all that stuff on a regular basis, I would suggest that you find a rolling backpack for her...carrying a backpack that is too heavy could be damaging to her back.

If she really needs to carry all that stuff on a regular basis, I would suggest that you find a rolling backpack for her...carrying a backpack that is too heavy could be damaging to her back.

Using a rolling backpack is quite possibly one of the dorkiest things you can do in middle/junior/high school! Don't do it!!

Our school doesn't allow rolling backpacks. My boys packs weight a ton, it's terrible.

Oldest DS (24) used a Nike backpack that lasted through MS, HS & College. He still has it. DS (14) uses a Jansport. He's used it since 6th grade will be entering 9th . DS (12) uses a Nike one he picked in 6th grade, he's going into 7th now.

None of them have any fancy padding or lots of extra's but do have lots of room inside and are very sturdy.

Using a rolling backpack is quite possibly one of the dorkiest things you can do in middle/junior/high school! Don't do it!!

I teach middle school...8th graders for that matter! Don't go for the rolling backpack! Most schools do not allow them. They are a tripping hazard. Honestly though, they are VERY dorky!

LL Bean! (no rolling packs)

LL Bean. LandsEnd quality has really gone down since they are part of Sears and Kmart.

We have the same problem my dd15 has a bookbag that weighs a TON. Her back hurts all the time since her school doesnt have lockers and she has to carry all of her books around all day long.

We use LLBean. Honestly they are a little expensive, but they really really last. They have all different sizes and cute durable prints.. and you can have them monnogrammed.

See if you like this large backpack from Briggs & Riley’s BRX collection for your DD. The backpack is much bigger than a typical daypack and it’s got lots of space. She can use the roomy main compartment that has a divider for a laptop to keep her binders and books. Rest of the pockets should have enough room for her other stuff. The bag’s pretty light too – just 2 lbs!

Is she using a locker? So many of the students at our school refuse to use them, preferring instead to carry every item for every class all day long. It's not a good choice.

My daughter uses those super-cheap, flexible-cover notebooks (the ones that go on almost-free sales in August) because they're so much thinner and lighter. They're plenty for one class, and they last for the semester. She likes to keep the notes and notebooks intact after the class is over, so they're never re-used, but when they're almost free, that's fine.

Finally, it's not just LL Bean backpacks that have a lifetime guarantee replacement: It's pretty much all the major names. Jansport, North Face, etc. I used to work at a camping store, and one of my jobs was sending the packs back to the companies -- it wasn't something we had to do often because the vast, vast majority of people just throw them away and get a new pack. But all the big names make the same lifetime guarantee on their seams and zippers (which are the only parts that'd break under normal wear).

DS16 has a North Face backpack that holds a ton. I can't even lift the darn thing when he's fully packed for school. He had an LL Bean pack, but 6 mos. into the school year, the straps started tearing. I know we could have had it replaced, but didn't out of concern the new one wouldn't hold up either. The North Face has held up beautifully over the past year and a half with no signs of wear and tear.

I agree with the LL Bean one. I bought it for myself for college and my 12 year old has been using it now for middle school. Great padding and lots of room.

DS16 has a North Face backpack that holds a ton. I can't even lift the darn thing when he's fully packed for school. He had an LL Bean pack, but 6 mos. into the school year, the straps started tearing. I know we could have had it replaced, but didn't out of concern the new one wouldn't hold up either. The North Face has held up beautifully over the past year and a half with no signs of wear and tear.

You might as well get it replaced, you'd have a brand new backpack that some one could use. Maybe there was something defective about that one. LL Bean backpacks should last for YEARS. I used the same one for all of high school AND college. I still have the thing. And it is still in good shape. And I was one of those kids that never used their locker, so that baby got used and abused!

I am a fifth grade teacher and just wanted to chime in here with words of advice. Set your child up with a "Homework Folder" and train her to put whatever papers she needs for homework in there when she packs up at the end of each class. That folder can go home with her each night. She can then leave the binders in her locker and put those papers back where they belong during the beginning of class each day. It really makes a difference!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter