• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DD Paycheck Short 10 Hours - It's Resolved

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
and its not the first time.

I am so frustrated I just needed to vent. This is the 2nd time in less than a month's time that DD's paycheck has been wrong. The first time it was 6 hours short and the manager had it fixed. Well, the manager up and quit on Monday and took the calendar with her. When DD got paid today, it was short 10 hours. I contacted the new manager and since there is no written record there is no way to prove it. They punch in and out in the cash register and supposedly according to payroll DD's paycheck is accurate. I know DD worked those 10 hours and I think that the manager who quit shaved hours off my DD's pay and took it for herself . . .that is just my assumption, but there is no other logical explanation for it.

How can she prove she worked those hours? :sad2:

Did she forget to punch in? Or did she work with someone that could back up her story about being there? Hopefully now that there is a new manager things will get sorted out and it won't happen in the future.

I know exactly the 2 days she was shorted the ones that it was just her and the old manager. She worked 1 -6 on 7/15 and 12 - 5 on 7/17. I'll have to ask her to remember if anyone else was there on 7/17 or leaving when she came in . . .but I am positive it was just her and the other manager.

I think if there is a 'punch in' system, its probably hard to steal hours away from someone. But, I would REALLY encourage you to let your DD handle this--if she's old enough to work--it's really important to let her handle her own problems. I know its hard, and you want to fix things for her---but her own job needs to be her own responsibility.

Isn't the calendar considered company property? If I were you, I'd have your DD contact the former manager and ask him/her to straighten it out. You can always use small claims court. Maybe w/your saying "small claims court" the company will do something in your DD's favor?

Does she ring in sales under an associate number that's only hers? If so, the company can check the register receipts and it will show the first sale and last sale ... and hopefully will be able to prove your case.

Best of luck!

Daxx - That is a really great idea! Yes, they ring sales under their employee number, I'll remind her of that when she sits with the new manager.

Wendyl - One would think so, but there is an override I believe. And yes, it is hard because I want to jump in and fix things, that is why I came on here to vent. I hate to see her being taken advantage of, this is a position she has held for 1 year now and has always been a great employee to them.

I'm hoping all will work out . . .$80 is a lot of money to her . . .and she worked for it, she should get it.

I think if there is a 'punch in' system, its probably hard to steal hours away from someone. But, I would REALLY encourage you to let your DD handle this--if she's old enough to work--it's really important to let her handle her own problems. I know its hard, and you want to fix things for her---but her own job needs to be her own responsibility.
::yes:: I know it's hard too but I agree with Wendyl. When my oldest son started umpiring baseball games at age 13, I let him handle all communications with his supervisor (who would call our home with my son's work schedule) including a couple of times when his paycheck was shorted some hours. We also just went through some "records falling into a crack" when one umpire in chief left abruptly and another was hired to take his place -- thankfully, in our case, the new umpire in chief believed my son and paid him for the missing time based solely on his word.

Give your DD advice, even lay out exactly what she should say, but let her try to do the actual "work" on this. It is part of the growing up process and these lessons about how to handle things that they learn when the amounts are still relatively small provide our kids with valuable experience for when bigger situations (i.e., car, homes, other large contracts) come along later in their lives.

-- Rob

Sorry, but if your DD is old enough to get a paycheck she's old enough to fight this battle herself. It's fine to give her advice but your calling her boss is a huge red flag.

Sorry, I totally disagree but I appreciate your opinion. :)

I didn't call the boss and give him "what for" if that is what you are thinking. The new manager is the old co-manager and he knew of the shortness of her previous paycheck so I made him "aware" of this new situation. I am fully aware that my DD is "old enough to handle her own problems" and she does and she also pays for half her car payment too if you want to talk responsibility issues.:thumbsup2

I agree with everyone else, she needs to handle this on her own. I use to process the payroll at my company. If an employee had a problem with their check the only person I would be speaking to is the employee or the supervisor. I wouldn't talk to anyone else about it.

I am sure it is tracked somewhere else that she worked. Our system would hold up to a couple of years worth of punches. We would also print out daily & weekly punch reports.

She really needs to speak to her new supervisor about the problem to get it fixed.

2 things- yes, she should handle this herself, but.....
Any POS system I have ever heard of had tracking capability. The only way to "steal" hours is to override the system manually, which would more than likely show it was an override. Anyone w/ access should be able to pull a punch detail report. I would start there.

I used to be a manager in charge of running our store's payroll through a POS time clock system, and my DH happens to program software for various POS time clock systems...

1) A lot of these systems to have glitches in them. They have erased entire days before at random. I have had a time clock system erase my days and my employee's. If this is a reoccurring problem, she needs to inform the manager and ask to have the system administrator look at the problem. If the manager doesn't want to mess with it, she can contact the system admin herself.
2) There really is no way for another employee (no matter what position) to "steal" hours from someone else and apply them towards themselves or someone else. A person with the correct access codes could erase hours from anyone or add hours to anyone regardless.
3) Some of these systems (like the one I used) are really, really touchy. For example, if I punched in for a day, then punched out for lunch and forgot to punch back in, it would show up at the end of the week as if I never punched in. Same thing if I forgot to punch out at the end of the night. It was in the system as if I was never there. Maybe she is forgetting some of her punches.
4) Unless the new manager has some sort of weird issue with not wanting your daughter to get paid (because the manager would not be getting the extra $80), your daughter should have no problem proving that she worked the hours she said she worked. If she rings up sales using her employee number, that is solid proof. Then once she has proven she was shorted 10 hours, it is easy enough to call HR and get a manual check issued to her for the missing hours.

And it's your life, you can do whatever you want, but if one of my employees had their mother call about their paycheck, I'd be a little weirded out. I'd need to talk to the employee herself anyway, so why not cut out the middle man?

Oh, and when she is dealing with this, she needs to definitely have her pay stub showing the amount of hours she was paid for. If she can get a print out of her schedule or even if she wrote it down by hand that would be helpful, too.

I got my check and was pleasantly surprised. We had just gotten raises and didn't think it was going to make much of a difference. When I got my check it was great! That joy was short lived though. HR called and told me that they put an extra Saturday on my check. Bummer! So, it comes out of my next check. Double bummer!

I hope that your daughter can get this straightened out. Nothing worse than getting much less that you are supposed to on a paycheck.

Thanks to all who replied . . .

It has gotten resolved. They went back into the schedule book (which the old manager didn't take, she just took the wall calendar) and indeed DD was missing 10 hours of pay. The money will be in the next paycheck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter