DD may be too scared to ride attractions - thinking of cancelling ressies now

Lil Davy

Mouseketeer
My 4 year old daughter will be 5 by the time we get to Disney next year, but my wife and I are re-thinking the trip because our DD seems so scared of any rides. She is even scared of simple carousels/merry-go-rounds. We just don't want to spend $3-4K on a vacation where our DD won't want to go on any rides. Not sure what to do. Looking for advice from others that have been in this position. Should we wait it out another year, or play it by ear and cancel if we think it won't be good for her once it gets closer to trip time?

Every child is different, so I think it is tough to give advice on this.

We were in the same situation with our 5 y.o. DS a few weeks ago. We were scared he wouldn't go on the simplest of rides (Dumbo, IASW, etc...). We took him to a local amusement park, with a very basic rollercoaster (not even as big as Barnstormer), a "teacup" ride, an airplane ride like dumbo and a carousel. He had a blast, but we were still a little worried.

He ended up doing Splash Mtn 3 times, BTMR 5 times, Barnstormer 10 times, Soarin 3 times, Test Track and Star Tours. He turned out to be an adrenaline junkie.

The problem is it seems you may have already tried this and know she wont go on the rides.

I guess my advice is that there is still lots to do at Disney besides the rides. Character greetings, fireworks, shows, etc...If rides are your primary reason for going, than try a local park and go on the rides with her, assuring her that you are there with her and there is nothing to be scared about

I would personally wait it out. Take the time to expose her carefully to the Disney DVD and maybe if avalible some small local rides. The thing to remember is that at Disney many of the rides you will be able to be on with her which will help her. Many county rides are just for kids.

Show her the rides on the DVD and on the computer Disney has an attraction list with pictures help her see them and get used to them. I am doing this with my grandson. He rode some small rides at the county fair this year and a little larger 1 that he got to ride with me. That was his favorite.

We also spend time watching the DVD and looking at the rides online so that he can get used to what is going to be there.

See if any of this helps. Wait until you get closer to decide if she is not ready. If she gets over being scared and you have cancelled everything then you will be upset at yourself.:scared1:

If you are going next year (I am not sure when) maybe in the intervening time you could try to expose her to some rides at area amusement parks. If it still doesn't work out you can cancel the trip. Does she know you are going? Is she excited about it? Maybe you can "talk up" the trip. Explain to her that you want her to try rides so that she will have a good time in WDW. Show her the DVD and the YouTube videos.

My sister's son is the same way so she has decided to wait to go to Disney until he is comfortable riding some basic things like the carousel and a few others at her county fair.

I thought that was a good plan because I know how mad her DH would have been if they spent so much money and then his DS wouldn't ride a thing.

Since you already have it booked, I think I'd wait to cancel because maybe she'll get over her fears and be ready to try it before you have to cancel.

We took our 4 year old grandson earlier this year. He was excited to go and we had prepped him with videos, etc. but he ended up being terrified of almost everything. Even the shows and fireworks scared him because of how loud they are.

He enjoyed the character meets and the playgrounds within the parks. He was fine riding the train around MK and he enjoyed the boat rides and Soarin. That's about all that we did in a week that did not scare him.

We had paid for 11 of us to go on this trip to celebrate his first visit (he's our only grandchild at this point) and I was very disappointed that he did not enjoy it enough. I wish we had waited at least one more year.

Like someone else said, every child is different and the same child can even be different within months, so that just makes your decision even harder. With that said I do have a couple of thoughts. One is to have your child watch some youtube videos of rides at Disney World. I know that I have been preparing my DS for TOT, Splash MT and BTMR this way.

Taking your child on other rides, might be a good gauge, however, it depends on those rides and if they really are similar to Disney World rides. For example I took my DS on a carousel at an area mall about a year ago and it was going so fast that it actually scared me and almost made me sick and I love rides....with TOT being my fav. So that is why I say not all rides are the same, not even a simple carousel. Also, like someone else stated, you will be riding the rides with your DD, which makes a big difference.

I realize that it's a lot of money to risk on a what if... but like someone else said there are alot of things to do if she doesn't want to do the rides. And also there are so many rides, that are not like your typical rides. Such as the 3D shows or Monsters Inc and stuff like that. So I'm sure that you guys will have plenty to do and who knows your DD might love the rides and if you don't go you would miss out on this time at Disney World with her at this age. Every time that we have taken my DS it has been different, and they grow up so fast. So I would say go for it. Of course it isn't my money that you would be spending.

I have to say both of my kids were scared of everything, until we got there. Then the rides just didn't seem as scary. I must say I use Youtube now all the time for rides that are "indoors". My DS won't touch an indoor ride unless he knows what it is. I now enter in the ride at Youtube and he sees the whole thing. No anxiety in the line. I think most kids pull out when they are there. Also, the parades and shows and shopping are all other great aspects of Disney. It won't be a wasted trip. You can always finds something to do. I say go for it :cheer2:

A couple of things to consider...

You may want to try talking with your daughter to get a feel for what it is she is afraid of - it could be that some of the rides at Disney wouldn't scare her after all. For example, as a kid, I wouldn't go on roller coasters, and I always got immediately dizzy and ill on spinning rides - even simple carousels and merry-go-rounds. Yet I always loved Disney because there were so many other kinds of rides...boat rides, track rides, slow moving rides, theater shows, 3-D movies, etc. As I grew up, I started to like roller coasters...though I've never been able to conquer massive motion sickness from spinning, and still won't go on anything that goes around in a circle as I'd be ill in seconds (I'm staying off them as much for other people as for myself!). Your daughter may not like spinning rides or fast rides...but that still leaves dozens of rides at Disney which she may enjoy.

Another thing to consider - Disney is so much more than a simple amusement park precisely for the fact that it isn't just about rides - the intense theming, the education, the historical and ethnic themes and designs, the shows, the characters, the food, the resorts, the music...there really is a lot more to Disney than the rides, if you are open to it, and if your daughter is open to it. Plus, you never know - it's possible your daughter could have the time of her life without ever going on a single ride...with the various games, characters, animals, and interaction throughout the 4 very different parks, some kids just don't need physical action and stimulation to enjoy themselves...some can thrive on mental stimulation and immersion.

In the end of course, it's your call...since you're the one paying all the money! But just wanted you to consider another viewpoint, as I am eternally grateful to my parents for introducing me to Disney back in 1971 when I was but 2 1/2 years old and deathly afraid of spinning or fast moving rides. And don't forget - back then, it was only Magic Kingdom! I've visited Disney parks every year of my life since 1971, and am a lifelong Disney fan - I might not have ever had that opportunity if my parents had been afraid to bring me thinking there wouldn't be enough I'd like.

My ds was petrified of rides. Petrified. He refused to ride anything. If it spun he wouldn't go on it. if it was inside he wouldn't ride it. If it was a rollercoaster he wouldn't go near it. You can see how limited we were. But, we went with the idea that our younger son would ride the things he wanted to and we'd let my older ds just go with the flow. No forcing him, no disappointment, no fighting about it. That helped make the trip so much more relaxing. He even insisted we turn his stroller around backward so he couldn't see the parade (he was 4 1/2) and we just did it. Turns out he peeked his head out and watched the whole thing..on his terms. We accepted this is what he would or wouldn't do and went with it. We ride swapped with my younger ds (daredevil at age 3 who loves everything he rides)

We went back when ds was almost 6 and watched every possible ride on you tube. We talked about what would happen, if it would be dark, etc. he also knew to trust us b/c we hadn't forced him to ride anything. We went with the same attitude, if he rode it great, if not great. He rode everything he saw on youtube. Some things he decided he dind not ever want to ride again, but it was all in his control and decision making. He still won't ride anything that spins (dumbo, carousel etc). He hates the sensation.

I think what ever you decide, go with the mindset that she'll do what you want and you'll all have fun.

My ds LOVED Kidcot stops and getting his passport stamped in Epcot. We love epcot b/c there is so much to see and do that wans't a ride. Living with the Land is a favorite because it is slow and bright and not scary.

Good luck with your decision. We're planning a trip for next summer (he'll be about to turn 8) and he has already decided to retry the rides he didn't love. My younger ds is just trying to figure out how to get tall enough to rdie everest and Space mountain by then.

For a family of three unless you are coming from an international location WDW really doesn't have to cost $3-4K. I'm not sure how long you intend to stay, but perhaps make the first visit a shorter one, 3-5 nights rather than try to spend 7-10 or so.

Find a character or story that she likes. Is she a fan of Playhouse Disney? Then let her know she'll have a chance to meet those characters, dance at their show and even have a meal with them if you book that character meal. Does she like the Princesses or Minnie? Promise to let her dress up like the princess or Minnie. Some of the most magical moments at WDW are with the character interactions or reactions to seeing them.

Many kids don't like the loud noise that goes along with the fireworks, but the parades are fun and not loud.

I really wouldn't focus on the rides at WDW, esp for a 5yo. The character meetings (in the park or at a meal), shows, parades and now games all offer some wonderful ways to enjoy your time at WDW. Honestly if she won't ride that gives you and your wife license to ride.

We took my nephew at 5 and he had a ball. He was already OK with rides, but there were also plenty of things either he didn't want to ride or we didn't try to put him on. His big phobia was 3D, but we really didn't realize this before the trip. He screamed and spent our time at Mickey's Philharmagic in grandma's lap, back to the screen. He rode BTMRR, but didn't like it and honestly neither did I.

We just returned from a trip, he's now 7yo and surprised me with some of his requests: We did Haunted Mansion for the first time during the MNSSHP. He seemed a bit scared during the ride, but he asked to return to MK to ride it on our final morning of the trip, shocked the heck our of me! He rode Pirates of the Carribbean and he absolutely loved Soarin' and Test Track. He refused to do the water rides (Splash Moutain, Kali River Rapids, but indicated he might be willing to try them next trip). He made huge ride strides this trip and if we hadn't taken him for the first trip, we never would have seen this "growth".

My gut says do two things:
1. Go and enjoy so much of what WDW as to offer, not just rides. As she gets comfortable with WDW I think you'll have better luck getting her to try new things there. To me WDW isn't like an amusement park. It has a much more magical feel and the pace isn't so harried.

2. If you are really concerned about the cost, shorten the trip or change your resort to bring your cost down. A family of 3 really can have a nice trip to WDW for under $1500 plus airfare or driving costs. Don't buy waterpark option for a first trip; the WDW pools are really nice and the WP would be overkill for a child that young on a first trip to WDW.

My son was 4 on his second visit and was afraid of everything dark or loud, which almost every ride. We went at his speed, saw all the outdoor shows and parades, had character meals and did a lot of character greetings. We played at the playgrounds, swam in the pools and did the waterslides. We spent hours at Tom Sawyer Island and Innoventions. We also rented boats and toured DTD. We had a wonderful time and made a lot of memories, it also forced us to try different things that we normally wouldn't get to.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I wasn't aware that all of the rides are posted on YouTube. I'll definately take a look at those.

I have a few suggestions that I have seen work often and when done the opposite talk many kids out of doing many things.

Do NOT ask her if she thinks she will be scared or afraid...Do not use the words scared or afraid, do not act like you think she may be scared. The second you say scared kids think...Should I be scared? Why do they think that? Why are they acting like that? And they panic.
I am not saying to push or trick her on to anything as that is not going to work either but instead of using the S word just ask her is she wants to ride it with you, is she says no ask why. Listen to what she says and see if you can alleviate any fears she has in as few words as possible. Yes it is dark but there will be light so that we can see the things they want to show us. No it will not move fast. It doesn't spin. etc.... The more you draw out what you say the more worry you are giving her. Kids like simple and concise because they are kids not little adults.

Do not try to have conversations with her about it before you are there and near the rides. Remember kids are not adults, that works for us but with kids when you do this it
A goes in one ear and out the other or
B gives them a fear of why you are doing this...there must be something wrong. And gives them weeks or months to build fears.

Be as matter of fact about it as you can. Afraid that is fine you don't have to do it but hey if you change your mind that is okay too. Don't dwell on it or spend hours discussing it, acknowledge and move on.
Try ride swapping and going yourselves. Mommy waits with her while Daddy rides then Mommy has a turn if she sees you are having fun and enjoy the ride she may just want to join in.

Another thing with not bringing up the words scared or afraid. You are giving her a chance to start fresh. She may have been afraid before and feels the need to keep that up if she is told oh you are afraid of that or asked will you be scared. But if you are just asking about the ride she is given a chance to make a different choice then before and may surprise you.

One last thought If she is good about telling you what she wants instead of asking about a ride simply tell her that is what you are doing. We are going on Pooh, or Dumbo etc... She can theyn say I don't want ride that. Some kids when given a question like Do you want will often choose no when they might have said yes. Or you could say would you like to ride Dumbo first or Pooh. Don't do this if you don't think she would say I don't want to do that or I don't want either. You don't want to make her feel like she has to or that you are forcing her.

The great thing about not going for the rides is that you won't have to wait in lines all day- which a young one might not understand anyways! I think it would be awesome to just take the time to wander about and do what pleases us and our daughter (who'll be four for our 1st time! :cutie:) I would try to find out all of the other fun things to do besides the rides! Just walking around and seeing the characters, watching parades and fireworks, getting ice cream or a hot pretzel and maybe taking in a show or two is on our agendas. We also plan on absorbing our surroundings; the resort, the parks and the restaurants. That is what our first time will be- a whole lotta nuthin'! :laughing: After all, it's supposed to be a vacation, right?! :smickey:

That's funny, because I was just talking to a guy that I work with and he said he took his barely 5 year old daughter last March.

She will not go to the movies because she does not like loud noises, etc. They tried it anyway - and it was not very much fun. They were back in the resort and at the pool by noon. Luckily, they only went for three days.

They are going to try again in a few years. But I like the idea of maybe acclumating her to some rides via a state fair, etc.

You might be suprised once you get there. My son suprises me all the time. He is 3 and is scared of the silliest things and not scared of things I think he should be!

We finally got him on a train ride at the mall and he loved it. At least he had a look like he didn't like but my mother and I kept saying "Wee" and making train noises. He liked it so much, he got upset when we had to leave. His first trip is next month. I'm sure there will things he will be scared of but I think he will like the things he is interested in. I can't wait!

I think I would wait until she would have the best experience. Let her get a little older and you all will have a great time. How does she do with Santa because the characters are a little scary when you're a third their size. My son was six when we took him to Disney. His twin and his older brother did great, but he had a lot of fear. A few months after we were home, he said" If you take me back I'll ride everything. " Didn't get back before he passed away from cancer. Wish we had gone when he was 7 or 8. Money was so tight with 3 kids. If this is something you plan to do often than go. If it's a once in a long while trip...then wait.
:littleangel:
Josh 1986-2001

As many have said, you would be surprised at what happens when you get there. Plus if you are going next year a lot can change in a year. Also if your 5 year old is not scared then the 4 year old may be ok and want to do what the older is doing.

We took my DD when she was 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 (2x). When she was 2 there were some rides that scared her. She also is one that is not fond of loud sounds (we skipped the fireworks). We spent lots of time on rides she liked (Small World, train, jungle cruise, etc), meeting characters, playing in the play areas, etc. Was something we were not accustom to but it ended up be a great trip. We saw the parks in a totally different way.

When we went back at 3 she did every ride including Haunted Mansion (like 10x), snow white, etc.

By 4 she was scared again of the Haunted Mansion and Snow White and refused to ride it even though she has done it many times and knew what to expect.

You never can tell what they will and will not like until you are there. If this is a once in a lifetime trip then I would say maybe wait to you get closer then make the decision. If you are planning on going back again, I would go this time. While it may be a different trip then you planned it will be a great trip in it's own right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter