dd going to japan best gadgets to stay in touch

elf

DIS Veteran
I know today's BF focused. But Wed. dd13 was invited by best friend to go on her families yearly trip to Tokyo, Japan. She will be staying at family house. Even before she met this girl, dd has been very interested in all Asian things, music, art, food, etc. So we have reluctantly agreed to let her go. We are reluctant because, she's young although mature, it's Christmas holidays and It's half way around the world. The Mom works for Amer. Air. so we'll get the discount but everyone will be on standby.

What is the best way to stay in touch? We like texting each other. She has new Ipod Touch, she has an older compter very slow (9 inch) with web cam, she is up for an upgrade/contract on phone with verizon.

I've never used web cam, I thought the new Ipod had facetime? And is there a international phone on Verizon that I won't have to pay another monthly fee. Or would it be cheaper for me to rent an international phone with texting.

The least expensive way to stay in touch is to get international calling cards.

No way. Calling cards are a rip-off.

The cheapest two ways are Skype via the internet or, believe it or not, your cell phone. Most cell phone companies now have international plans and/or low international rates. You can get the plans pro-rata'd for the duration of the international travel.

When I travel outside the country, I get unlimited data for about $1.50/day on Sprint, and discounted rates to call back to the States on my mobile, rates which vary by country. Also with Sprint, I pay $3.99 a month to give me discounted long distance calling that amounts to as low as three cents a minute to most developed nations.

Call your cell phone company and ask what international options are available.

I planned on calling Verizon our carrier. Hopefully the price won't be too insane. Sprint seems to offer more for a reasonable price but I don't get any Sprint signal in my house, so I have Verizon. I really would like the flexibility of the texting with her phone, especially with time difference.

We spent 42 days in Ukraine while adopting our son last Feb. - March. We used Skype to contact family members.

We borrowed a Ukrainian cell phone and bought a sim card and minutes for contact within country to our translator. We only made one call home on that phone when we didn't have internet connection.

Plus, if you can see your daughter and she can see you, it may help with your worries and to keep her from getting homesick.

I'll have to see if they have internet. It would seem most would but they are staying with her friends Aunt whos around 40s unmarried and Grandmother, so I'm not so sure.
Thank You!

Get the Kindle with the free 3G wifi...free GLOBAL wifi. You can e-mail and she will have web access. Plus, then you've an awesome e-reader. She may want to read on the plane, in the airport, etc.

You can do email with that? Wow that is pretty fantastic. I'll look into this. So she can carry it in her pocketbook and email me when she wants?

Although I just took advantage of the IPOD Touch Amazon deals. I only did that because I just found out about kindle app, which I tested out on someone elses Ipod touch.

thank you. One of the posters specifically said he used it for email alot while in Japan. That settles that. Thank you.

I hope this works for her/you. I'd love to hear your report after her trip how it worked. I have one to go under the tree and the free global 3g wifi was a major selling point for me and after the referred thread I was even more convinced. It sounds like the perfect travel companion. Hope your DD has a wonderful trip and I understand your torn feelings but this will be such an awesome experience for her, and ultimately you. I feel like travel is such a wonderful way for our children to learn in so many levels.

Thanks!! I agree about travel. Plus my children love to travel and learn about cultures other than their own. I know this is a trip I couldn't afford for the whole family anytime too soon, so I'm happy that I could at least have her do this. Wish I could go. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter