DCL vs WDW

tellemarie

Mousejunkie!
Hello everyone! :wave2: I've tried to do some searching throughout the forums for (at least!) a similar discussion but came up with nothing. I've been reading through the threads and info on the Disney weddings site about the possibility of my DF and I doing either a DCL or WDW wedding - but we're totally split between either :confused3

They would both be around the same cost (WDW would be slightly more expensive, but not by much) and they each have their own pros and cons so I was wondering what other Disney Brides thought on this! How did you all decide on which option to choose (if it was ever even a question ;))? We'll be having under 18 guests (so it would be the Escape wedding through WDW) and everyone would have to travel so either way people would have to take time off work!

Thank you all for any input that you may be able to provide! :flower3:

can/will all the guests you want to come go on the cruise? how does the pricing look for them? have you cruised before? what cruise itinerary are you looking at?

we had a wishes wedding and honeymooned (alone) on the dream! :thumbsup2

can/will all the guests you want to come go on the cruise? how does the pricing look for them? have you cruised before? what cruise itinerary are you looking at?

we had a wishes wedding and honeymooned (alone) on the dream! :thumbsup2

We are hoping that either way some people will join us! I don't think that any of his family (nor mine!) has ever cruised before so we'd include things like seasickness bracelets or something similar in everyone's welcome bags too. Right now pricing would be about similar, however there are always the offsite options at WDW. The only major problem I can see about a WDW wedding would be that I would be the one stuck making everyone's reservations (since I'd volunteer to help find deals/rates to accommodate budgets) :coffee:

Unless I was sure a good portion of my guests were up for the time/cost of a cruise, I would have the WDW wedding. And I would do NOT be acting as everyone's travel agent! :rotfl:

You can provide info, Judy as one would for the cruise, but I personally wouldn't take on that planning head ache before my wedding!!

Happy planning either way!

Our family was much more excited for a cruise than they would be just going to Disney World. To keep costs down for everyone we just did the 3-day cruise. Also with a cruise, most related expenses are included, lodging, food, some entertainment etc. Of course there are always things that costs extra, but for us a cruise was the better choice.

Happy planning either way!

We considered WDW and DCL. Ultimately, we decided on WDW just because we felt it would be cheaper for people to stay at WDW as opposed to booking a cruise. Our thinking was: at least they can stay off property if they want to (which seriously can cut down the cost of accomodations).

In addition, my parents are paying for my wedding and didn't feel comfortable having a cruise wedding and NOT paying for everyone's fare. It wasn't something they could afford but they had qualms about asking the guests. Don't ask me! :laughing:

I also wasn't crazy about DCL because I didn't want to be stuck on the ship with *ahem* certain people the entire time...

The only major problem I can see about a WDW wedding would be that I would be the one stuck making everyone's reservations (since I'd volunteer to help find deals/rates to accommodate budgets) :coffee:

While this is a kind idea, I would strongly urge you to instead delegate that task to one of the many helpful Disney travel agents out there. You are going to have plenty to do just pulling off the wedding without also having to hold everyone's hand with the travel arrangements. Travel agents do this for free, and they have the time and knowledge to track down the best deals for your guests. :thumbsup2

DF and I are doing a DCL wedding then going to WDW for our honeymoon. If you want more control over your wedding I would suggest WDW because the DCL options are limited. With that said, less options was more appealing to me because less options mean less stress.

Hello everyone! :wave2: I've tried to do some searching throughout the forums for (at least!) a similar discussion but came up with nothing. I've been reading through the threads and info on the Disney weddings site about the possibility of my DF and I doing either a DCL or WDW wedding - but we're totally split between either :confused3

They would both be around the same cost (WDW would be slightly more expensive, but not by much) and they each have their own pros and cons so I was wondering what other Disney Brides thought on this! How did you all decide on which option to choose (if it was ever even a question ;))? We'll be having under 18 guests (so it would be the Escape wedding through WDW) and everyone would have to travel so either way people would have to take time off work!

Thank you all for any input that you may be able to provide! :flower3:

Hello! I had the same issue whether to hold a DCL wedding vs a WDW wedding. We thought this over with the family and friends that would go too.
Our biggest worry was we did not want to play travel agent for everyone (as you mentioned) but also wanted to spend time with everyone after the wedding. (We have people flying from UK, NY, Sacramento... etc. So we wanted to have more than a 2 hour wedding reception and then goodbyes.)

The cruise seemed like a better idea because it is like an amusement park on the water. You don't need transportation and there's a little navigator at everyone's stateroom that lets them know where and when everything is, so we don't get asked too many questions. Also, I booked through pixieandpiratedestinations.com travel agency w/ Lisa who was also a DCL bride (I think she is also a disboarder on here). She makes you a wedding site that you can send to everyone (I'm doing it through invitations) where they can individually book. That way you record the reservation numbers and information but don't have to do the hard work. :P

As for cons, the DCL wedding is much less personal than the WDW. There are not as many personalization options and your reception is trimmed into a champagne and cake ceremony with enough time to have first dances and cake cutting, but that it is all. (We didn't mind either one. First, bride and groom have less to plan with the less personalization and we were able to obtain a seating chart so we are relatively surrounding everyone every night at dinner.)

I hope this helped a little bit!

Hi Tellemarie,

I'm getting married on DCL Dream in Dec 2013. I can say the choices are different. The biggest things that stand out for me would be venue/reception choices as well as customization. With DCL dream and fantasy you have 3 choices for your ceremony you have onboard at Outlook Lounge or open air balcony by palo or on the beach at Castaway Cay. Reception is more of a cake cutting and first dance vs a full on reception and is usually hosted in outlook lounge though I've heard of other locations being used but they have been reserved only for very large parties. As for wedding night dinner you can have it at any of the restaurants onboard with Palo and Remy having limited seating.

I think that the cruise wedding is a little limited on choices but don't think it any less personal. I think you will have to be creative and a bit out of the box to add your personal touches but it can be done. Essentially you can have all the options for extra activities like an Escape bride like rehearsal dinner, desert party, fireworks cruise etc. added on to your package. You can also choose to just go with the standard cruise wedding package. In the end its really up to you what you would like to incorporate to enhance your wedding experience. Essentially Disney treats DFTW cruise brides like Escape brides except one big thing. No annual passes or other specialty gift. You do get a cake topper. I know its a little sad, this is one place I wish Disney would change I wish they would treat Cruise brides equal to DFTW land brides. But in the end you can have a fabulous wedding onboard. If you review some of the completed planning journals there are a few on there from cruise brides and many have added extras to personalize their wedding.

Essentially you can have all the options for extra activities like an Escape bride like rehearsal dinner, desert party, fireworks cruise etc. added on to your package. You can also choose to just go with the standard cruise wedding package.

on the cruise? or do you mean on land before the cruise?:)

On land before or after cruise. I mean nothing is stopping you from having dinner together onboard and calling it a dinner rehearsal. To be truthful if its in your budget you can rent a yacht with full staff for 3 days and have a number of catered meals onboard for a small group. (not through disney but it can be done).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter