• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL transportation: will I regret this?

How would they get on DME without return flight info?

By calling DME and saying "I want to be at teh airport at x time", and most of the DME CMs will work it out for you. if you get the rogue CM who won't, say thank you and hang up. Wait a few minutes and call again.

By staying at an onsite resort we are entitled (in a good way) to one trip to the resort and one trip to the airport. We don't have to have been on a flight to get those trips, and they don't have to be in that order! They just have to be within check in and check out days.

didnt know they will claim your luggage for you, is there a form we have to fill out? or just put our luggage tag? sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread, but saw this and wondered.. thanks.

Tell them at checkin that you have DME arranged. They'll put your name on a list and hand you a paper telling you what to do. Pickup of bags from inside your room will start at around 8am; you don't have to be in the room for them to pick up (many will leave a tip on the bags if they are off to breakfast and not in the room). Obviously don't leave the DND sign on the door!

WAY more money to do that.

Not necessarily for all trips. Car rental ricing is incredibly dynamic and ever-changing.

Not necessarily for all trips. Car rental ricing is incredibly dynamic and ever-changing.

Yep. I have one coming up where it's the same price to return it to the airport, to the Car Care Center, or to Port Canaveral. Since we're picking it up at PC, we're then dropping it at CCC after dropping a parent, the kids, and some bags at an undisclosed (well, okay, NOT YET BOOKED) location that is highly likely to be Boulder Ridge.

Not necessarily for all trips. Car rental ricing is incredibly dynamic and ever-changing.[/QUOTE]

I agree with rental pricing. I check all the time and it just happens on my next trip in May, I did get an excellent deal. But if I look at the pricing to get to the port today, it would cost me another $100+ USD. Not worth it. When I did the original booking, the site I used did not have the Port as an option, although I still would have stuck with what I have now.

But I would tell anyone who is trying to get to the port from the airport or WDW hotels to check all options, rental car, bus, limo, stay at airport the night before and pick which one works for them.

Every cruise (seven) we have taken out of Port Canaveral we stayed at a WDW resort and used DCL transportation. I don't think we have ever arrived at the cruise terminal later then 1:30.

we are flying into MCO the day before our cruise on April 24 and staying at a Disney resor(ASMusic). We are scheduled for DCL transportation. I really like the aspect of not worrying about anything and just letting Disney take us. However, I've read where people don't get to the cruise until 4! I don't mind getting there later (1-2), but 4 is a little late. We really want to eat lunch onboard but if we have dinner at 5:45, it might get too late. Any advice or experience about this process? Thanks!!
If you're flying into MCO the night before, I recommend staying at the MCO Hyatt instead of ASM. It will save you a lot of transport time going to and from Disney World for only one night, and the Disney transport buses from the airport are the earliest to arrive at the port.

If you book the MCO Hyatt via DCL, & book DCL transfers, you won't be bound to a port arrival time, & can be among the first groups on the ship, after concierge.

Thought I'd share my car rental experience returning at the the port, summed in one word...AWFUL!! You run the risk of having multiple ships leaving port the same day (also meaning the arrive dumping a ton of passengers off at the agency). It was total chaos when we dropped the car and there where over a 100 people milling around the parking lot with luggage with no clue where to be. Eventually we were all put in this huge line for the shuttle. After waiting in line for an hour and the line never moving and people arriving and moving to the front of the line, I finally got out of line to see what the heck was going on. Good thing...I caught the shuttle driver calling for DCL passenger to move forward and board. I quickly called my family out of line and got on us on the shuttle. By this time, we had long missed our PAT (we had 10:45 and it was nearly noon when we got to the port) >:(

So last cruise, we did the DCL bus and yes, we got to port at about 1:00 but our room was ready, we walked straight on the ship, and it was much less stressful. If you're not going to take it, either from a WDW resort or MCO, I'd hire a car (town car, Uber, etc). Good luck and have fun!!

Thought I'd share my car rental experience returning at the the port, summed in one word...AWFUL!! You run the risk of having multiple ships leaving port the same day (also meaning the arrive dumping a ton of passengers off at the agency). It was total chaos when we dropped the car and there where over a 100 people milling around the parking lot with luggage with no clue where to be. Eventually we were all put in this huge line for the shuttle. After waiting in line for an hour and the line never moving and people arriving and moving to the front of the line, I finally got out of line to see what the heck was going on. Good thing...I caught the shuttle driver calling for DCL passenger to move forward and board. I quickly called my family out of line and got on us on the shuttle. By this time, we had long missed our PAT (we had 10:45 and it was nearly noon when we got to the port) >:(

This is why when driving a rental to port, I always drop the family and luggage at the terminal first and return the rental car myself. I've gotten on the shuttle quick as a single rider with no luggage (mention to the one coordinating the shuttle to let them know such) but can attest to the chaos of large families with too much luggage waiting in long lines.

This is why when driving a rental to port, I always drop the family and luggage at the terminal first and return the rental car myself. I've gotten on the shuttle quick as a single rider with no luggage (mention to the one coordinating the shuttle to let them know such) but can attest to the chaos of large families with too much luggage waiting in long lines.

We always rent from Budget when we rent (which has never upcharged for dropping off at PC vs. MCO), and have done it a number of times. We've both dropped and had one person return the car, but mostly we all go to the rental place to return. You have to find the sweet spot for arrival - early enough that the scores of people arriving for the next cruise aren't there yet, but late enough to miss the bulk of the rental pickups. We usually get there between 8:30-9:30 to drop off a car - we've often gotten shuttles to the port before the port even opens to new passengers (dropped off by a shuttle still picking up people) and then we just find a bench outside and wait until the porters start taking luggage and they start letting new cruisers in. We enjoy the people watching, it's fairly low-stress since there's plenty of time, and have also met up with some of our DIS board friends while waiting this way.

I think the arriving at 4 is a stretch. We have done this a number of times over the years and are typically there some time between 1 and 1:30. There was one time where the crowd to the port from our resort was very large. I'm not sure why they did it this way but we had a 11:30 meet time. One partially filled bus arrived and they filled it with people from our resort. That bus left and went straight to the port and arrived about 12:45. Unfortunately, we were put at the start of the second bus and by time everything was situated we didn't leave the resort until after noon. The remainder of people only filled about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bus so we had stops at 2 other resorts (and the driver got lost on Disney property getting to Sarasota Springs from Port Orleans). So we didn't arrive until a little after 2. But I think that is an extreme case and would only be that late for something odd like we had or some road/travel issue.

If you don't mind getting there around 1, I say keep the DCL transportation. It is a very convenient way to start your cruise and the movies are fun.
We had a similar situation when we stayed at the Beach Club. We arrived at 2:40 pm, and Cabana's had already closed one side. We'd hoped to dine at Enchanted Garden. :( I know that arriving that late is not typical, but it made us decide to NEVER stay at a WDW resort again (precruise, that is.)

we are flying into MCO the day before our cruise on April 24 and staying at a Disney resor(ASMusic). We are scheduled for DCL transportation. I really like the aspect of not worrying about anything and just letting Disney take us. However, I've read where people don't get to the cruise until 4! I don't mind getting there later (1-2), but 4 is a little late. We really want to eat lunch onboard but if we have dinner at 5:45, it might get too late. Any advice or experience about this process? Thanks!!

This is the way we like to travel. We stay at a WDW resort the night before and take the DCL bus to the port. We arrive a little later than the masses (but never as late as 4) and the terminal is nearly empty so we avoid the crowds and can just walk right up to the counter for check-in and then right onto the ship.

IMHO in taking a DCL bus from a WDW resort......they won't leave without you.:rotfl2:

This is the way we like to travel. We stay at a WDW resort the night before and take the DCL bus to the port. We arrive a little later than the masses (but never as late as 4) and the terminal is nearly empty so we avoid the crowds and can just walk right up to the counter for check-in and then right onto the ship.

IMHO in taking a DCL bus from a WDW resort......they won't leave without you.:rotfl2:
In my experience, they don't. We sat at Port Orleans for 20 minutes waiting for one last party who was scheduled for our bus. Finally they opted to depart. We stopped at another resort and were on the road headed out of WDW, when the driver got a call to return to Port Orleans for the missing group. All in all, they wasted about 45 minutes of our travel time (20 minutes initial wait time, 15 minutes to return to resort, and 10-15 minutes more to get back to where were were before the bus was called back).

Or pick up time at Port Orleans was 12:00. We arrived at the port around 2:30. :mad:

However, I've read where people don't get to the cruise until 4!

Never heard that. I know that I've heard sometimes when flights are delayed (that were booked through Disney) that it might arrive late. But never from a resort unless there's an accident that bottles things up for quite a while. I think once we arrived a little later (1:30 maybe) and there was quite a lineup for security so we boarded late - after 2 pm. Lunch was still open but basically closing up. Usually, we're there by about 1-ish which is just perfect as there are no lines for check in and you can go to your room as soon as you board. Still plenty of time for lunch, checking port tour tickets are correct (had to fix this a couple of times), getting tasting tickets at GS, unpack the carry-ons, and have some down time before the lifeboat drill.

Thank you all for the input! We decided to keep to task and use Disney transportation for our resort/cruise stay. We were not disappointed and would definitely do it again! We got to port about 1:10 and on the boat by 1:30. Rooms were ready at 1:30, so we dropped our carry-on luggage and headed to Cabanas for an awesome sail away lunch!!

We took DCL transportation last year and while it was convenient, it wasn't really for us. I didn't enjoy that we had to be out of the room by a specific time and got picked up between 11-12. We were just hanging out in the lobby of AoA because we have nothing else to do. We also didn't like that we got there so late. We probably got there at 2, which isn't bad, but all the food places were closing for the drill and we were hungry. So, next year when we go, we're going to try a different method. Not sure if the cost will be better, but I am looking forward to finding a different way of getting there and getting onboard earlier.

Is it still true (treading conflicting reports on the boards) that the Hyatt DCL bus is first arrive and enter the terminal. The. They open the port to private car company's and those who drive to port?

Or, can we use a private car service and be first in line when they open up the terminal?

For those who want to try for a port upgrade you have to be early. And trying to work out how we can be one of the first to check in.

Thank you

Is it still true (treading conflicting reports on the boards) that the Hyatt DCL bus is first arrive and enter the terminal. The. They open the port to private car company's and those who drive to port?

Or, can we use a private car service and be first in line when they open up the terminal?

For those who want to try for a port upgrade you have to be early. And trying to work out how we can be one of the first to check in.

Thank you
The first DCL bus from MCO typically departs around 9:15, arriving at the port around 10:15. Can't say for sure that it's the "first" but certainly in the earliest group.

Private transportation (limo/towncar and the like) typically aren't allowed in until 11:00 for drop off. Personal vehicles/rental cars can usually enter the port around 10:15-10:30, with the terminal itself opening to those people at 10:30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter