DCL transfers questions.

S.S.Oceanlover

DIS Veteran
When we get to the airport do we take our bags to the bus and then take them to the porter when we get off the bus?

When we get off the ship do we claim our bags and take them to the DCL bus or do we just put them out the last night and they take them right to the bus?

Bill

When we used DCL transfers, we had stayed at the Hyatt the night before. We put our luggage outside our room in the morning and they handled them from there. We didn't touch our bags again until they were placed outside our stateroom on board.

I'm guessing the situation is similar when going directly from your flight to the port. (I think a DCL rep will actually get the bags from the baggage claim and take them directly to the bus so you won't have to deal with them at all in Orlando.)

On the return trip, you will have to gather your bags upon debarkation so you can go through customs. You (or a porter) will then take them over to the bus. You will gather your luggage again when you get to the airport -- unless you fly on one of the airlines that has curbside check-in at the port. . . (I forget which airlines those are.)

Hope this helps a bit! I'm sure someone else will have more details. . .

When we used DCL transfers, we had stayed at the Hyatt the night before. We put our luggage outside our room in the morning and they handled them from there. We didn't touch our bags again until they were placed outside our stateroom on board.

I'm guessing the situation is similar when going directly from your flight to the port. (I think a DCL rep will actually get the bags from the baggage claim and take them directly to the bus so you won't have to deal with them at all in Orlando.)

On the return trip, you will have to gather your bags upon debarkation so you can go through customs. You (or a porter) will then take them over to the bus. You will gather your luggage again when you get to the airport -- unless you fly on one of the airlines that has curbside check-in at the port. . . (I forget which airlines those are.)

Hope this helps a bit! I'm sure someone else will have more details. . .

Thanks for the info. We are flying in the day before and staying near the airport. The next morning we will be going back to the airport to get the bus.

I was hoping that we wouldn't need to bother with the bags after the cruise but doesn't seem that way. Oh well, it's really no big deal as all the other cruise lines do it that way as well.:)

Thanks again
Bill

What airline are you flying? Are you leaving the day your disembark? If so, there is baggage check available at port for the airlines listed below. You can check your bags at port and not see them until you get home. It is free if you are using DCL transfer back to airport, otherwise there is a fee.

Port Airline Check-In is available to Guests flying on the following airlines:

American Airlines
Continental
Delta Air Lines
Northwest
US Air

do you know what the "fee" is if you are not using dcl transfers, that sounds like something I may be interested in.

I'm not entirely sure. I think the fee is somewhere between $25 and $35 dollars. DCL transfer is $35 one-way. Hope that helps.

What airline are you flying? Are you leaving the day your disembark? If so, there is baggage check available at port for the airlines listed below. You can check your bags at port and not see them until you get home. It is free if you are using DCL transfer back to airport, otherwise there is a fee.

Port Airline Check-In is available to Guests flying on the following airlines:

American Airlines
Continental
Delta Air Lines
Northwest
US Air

We are on AirTran. I thought they recently added them. I guess not though.Yes we are flying home right after the cruise. Have 2:15pm flight.

Bill

Not entirely sure the DCL site is current. It might help to call DCL and ask.

If you are flying in the day of the cruise on a participating airline you can check your bags at your home airport and not see them again till they arrive in your cabin!

If you are flying in the night before, you will claim your bags and take them to your hotel. If your hotel is the Hyatt you can put them outside your door and they appear in your cabin. For any other hotel you bring them to the airport and they will go on the DCL truck...again, you'll see them in the cabin.

On the way home...you place them outside your cabin the night before. In the morning you will find them lined up by cabin number (also in color coded areas). You claim them and go thru customs (with or without a porter--your choice). You or the porter then takes them to your transportation. If that is DCL transport AND you are on a participating airline with a flight that is at least 3 hours later, you can check in your bags at the port and not see them again till you arrive at your home airport. If you are on a non-participating airline the bags will go in the cargo section of the same bus you are on and you will get them at MCO, take them to the check in counter and check the bags and the people in for the return flight.

Would there be enough time to debark, claim baggage, customs and check bags at the port (flying a participating airline) if our flight is at 12:30pm? What would be the latest time we could debark? Any reason to feel nervous about being late for a 12:30pm flight home? Thanks for any input.:confused:

Would there be enough time to debark, claim baggage, customs and check bags at the port (flying a participating airline) if our flight is at 12:30pm? What would be the latest time we could debark? Any reason to feel nervous about being late for a 12:30pm flight home? Thanks for any input.:confused:

I think you will be ok, I have got to MCO Airport at 9.00am.

Zak,

We were also at the airport by 9am. We didn't have a flight until 2:15pm. They do not call numbers or anything. You eat breakfast and leave the ship after breakfast. People were getting off at 7:30am.

Dizneyfan,

Just got back today. AirTran is on the list now as well as Alaska airways. What a way to go. Put bags out the night before. Got up and went top breakfast, got off the ship, went to customs then onto the bus.

Got to the airport all we had to do is go through security and you were all set.
Got off the plane back home and got our bags from the carousel and drove home.

Disney even prints your boarding passes for your flights.

Hope this helps someone.:)

Bill

I've done it. But it is a bit nerve wracking. Be sure you are ready to get off the ship as soon as it clears customs. If the airline isn't there and ready to take your bags, just put them on the 1st bus that's available and get to the airport!

You will usually not have any problems. However, there can be delays with the ship clearing customs. And also the security line at MCO is probably the slowest one I've ever been in.

9 times out of 10 you'll be at the airport and checked in by 10am.

Thanks for the info. We are flying in the day before and staying near the airport. The next morning we will be going back to the airport to get the bus.

I was hoping that we wouldn't need to bother with the bags after the cruise but doesn't seem that way. Oh well, it's really no big deal as all the other cruise lines do it that way as well.:)

Thanks again
Bill

Just a note if you are flying in the day before - do NOT put your DCL ship tags on your luggage before flying!!
If you do, they often get swooped aside with all of the other Disney luggage rather than coming up on the carousel... it can be hours before this is remedied!

We were warned by DISers last time, and so didn't (I think there's one mention of it in small print on one of the pre-trip book pages) and then put them on when we got to our room at the Hyatt MCO.
The front desk clerk at the time was impressed as she said a number of people are not aware of that, and luggage often takes up til 9pm at night to 'recover' sometimes, especially if it's one of the days that is overlapping - sometimes, the bags go all the way to the port before being retrieved! :scared1:

So again - if you are coming in the day before - HOLD ON to your DCL luggage tags until you have picked up your bags from the carousel after flying in to MCO. Put them on after you have gotten all of your luggage, so that when you check in the next morning for your transfer (or leave them outside your door in the case of the Hyatt) they will be on there, but you will have your bags for that night! :)

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter