DCL Transfer, But Keep Luggage With Us?

skiergirl4

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the Hyatt at MCO and using DCL transfers to get to Port Canaveral. I understand that we can have our luggage picked up in our room at the Hyatt, and we will see it when it is delivered to our stateroom sometime after we leave port.

However, this makes me a little nervous. My parents’ luggage has been lost once by a cruise line (not DCL) and twice by airlines. So I know how misplaced luggage can make a trip difficult.

While I trust Disney, I think the worry of this might overshadow our embarkation on our first Disney cruise.

Can we bring our luggage with us on the transfer and then check it with the porters at the terminal?
Have any of you done/witnessed that?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

We are staying at the Hyatt at MCO and using DCL transfers to get to Port Canaveral. I understand that we can have our luggage picked up in our room at the Hyatt, and we will see it when it is delivered to our stateroom sometime after we leave port.

However, this makes me a little nervous. My parents’ luggage has been lost once by a cruise line (not DCL) and twice by airlines. So I know how misplaced luggage can make a trip difficult.

While I trust Disney, I think the worry of this might overshadow our embarkation on our first Disney cruise.

Can we bring our luggage with us on the transfer and then check it with the porters at the terminal?

While you certainly may bring your bags directly to the DCL transfer bus, I'll just point out that the system with Hyatt/DCL has a double check system. When you check into the Hyatt, just tell them that you're taking DCL transfers the next morning. They will give you a letter with a little section for you to fill out and hand to the DCL transfer people when you check in for the bus, they use that form to double check with the Hyatt that they (the Hyatt personnel) did indeed pick up your bags and bring them down to the DCL truck.

In my time on these boards, I've only read of 1 instance where someone's luggage was missed.

I've walked my luggage down from the Hyatt to the DCL transfers check in before and it was easy. The truck was right by the DCL buses and the guys just took my luggage (making jokes about stealing so many suitcases at one time :) ) loaded it neatly on the truck and I got on the bus.
Easy peasy if you want to go that route.

I've seen people hand carry their luggage when at WDW resorts onto DCL bus. So you can do it. Disney makes everything so easy. It just adds a little work to your day. Whatever gives you peace of mind.

I know MDE is a different system, but I was nervous too when I first used it. I supposed it's different for a cruise as it's difficult to replace items onboard vs. on land. Keep in mind that luggage given to porters can still get lost/misplaced. I supposed one less point of contact is one less opportunity for them to get mishandled.

LAX

The DCL bus discourages you from bringing checked luggage with you due to space constraints. There is just not much storage room. If you don't want to let the Hyatt pick up your bags, it would be very easy to bring them with you to the bus loading area in the airport and watch the baggage handlers load them into the truck to take to port.

I know MDE is a different system, but I was nervous too when I first used it. I supposed it's different for a cruise as it's difficult to replace items onboard vs. on land. Keep in mind that luggage given to porters can still get lost/misplaced. I supposed one less point of contact is one less opportunity for them to get mishandled.

LAX

I was going to say the same. While highly unlikely, the porters at the terminal could misplace something. Just try not to worry about it and have a great time!

Just to point out...yes, you can bring your luggage to the DCL transfers. However, it will be passed off to the luggage handlers at that point and put on a truck to the port. I don’t believe they will put it under your bus for transport. Checked luggage doesn’t arrive on the same buses as the people.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just to put it into perspective....DCL/Hyatt literally handle thousands of bags per week and as mentioned above I also have only heard of one instance in all these years of luggage being misplaced.

MJ

So we did own on bags our last trip, but it was carry-on sized luggage. Right under the bus, we claimed them at the port (instead of letting porters take them), through security and right on the ship. We had a later arrival, the room was ready, dropped them there and right up for lunch. Back down to unpack before the drill. It was nice. That being said we have done transfers-from the Hyatt, from the resorts etc. Never an issue with luggage. Whatever you choose, have a great trip!

My family has stayed at the MCO Hyatt several times before a Disney Cruise and have used the DSL Transfer with the luggage tags. I have to say it was wonderfully convenient especially with excited little kids, not as much stuff to drag around especially since you will mostly likely have a "day" bag with some essentials in it. In fact, they typically picked up the tagged bags as we were checking out so we could see them out. Have a wonderful trip!

I took my own luggage to the truck. Maybe no one on here has heard of a mistake, but this board only represents a very tiny fraction of cruisers. I prefer to handle my own luggage. I always take it off the ship too. I learned that lesson when dcl sent my bag to the airport. I didn't do online check in and I wasn't even flying out that day.

If you’re nervous about it not being picked up from your Hyatt room, you can wait until it has been retrieved to head to the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter