DCL - The Great, the Good, and the, "this needs to be better" - Observations

M

mrsltg

Hi All-

I am mostly unpacked and somewhat laundered, so I decided to post some observations that I made while on my 9/11 cruise...

The Great

Service - What can I say, this is Disney and they know customer service. Our stateroom host was great at his job, and his personality was fine (very quiet). I wasn't looking for a new best friend, so as long as the room was in good shape, I was happy! Our dining room team was FANTASTIC! We had Melwin and Melinda and they were wonderful. They were personable and great at their jobs. This earned Melwin $20 extra and Melinda $40 extra. If I could have put Melinda in my pocket and brought her home I would have!

Ship - The Magic is gorgeous! I have never sailed a ship so beautiful. I don't know that I will ever be as impressed by another ship.

The Senior Crew - Very nice and approachable. I also felt as though Captain Tom knew exactly what he was doing and was very happy to explain it to people. We even got a Powerpoint presentation detailing why were changing course and heading to Nassau instead of St. Thomas. Talk about thorough!

The Disney-style shows - THe Golden Mickey's, Hercules, and Disney Dreams were all second to none. Some of the performers are clearly Broadway-bound and they will be wonderful there, too!

The Good

Crowd Management - Another Disney specialty. We were sailing with almost 1000 kids and it only felt that way on Castaway Cay. Disney is good at moving large numbers of people without making them feel like cattle.

Room Service and Quick Service - Quick and tasty. Who doesn't need a Mickey Bar every day???

The Sailaway Party - Nice job getting the crowd psyched up about the trip.

The Terminal - Nice place to start your vacation.

The Photographers - Nice people with seemingly infinite patience.

Could be Better

Food - Yes I understand that this food is mass produced, that doesn't excuse lack luster food, and how hard is it to make a cake? I'll answer. Not very. The desserts were often left untouched after one bite. Two big exceptions were the creme brulee and the chocolate lava cake. My DH resorted to ordering off of the childrens menu for dessert one night because there was nothing appealing on the menu. We tried four desserts in Palo (including the souffle) and none were finished. There was nothing special or inventive about them, and I expected more from Disney.

The biggest disappointment was Palo. The service was wonderful, but the meal was rushed. We were out in less than 90 minutes. We both ordered the filet and were unhappy. It wasn't bad, mind you, it was simply acceptable. I also had the risotto as a side and that was tasty but for the fact that it was undercooked and still crunchy in some places. DH had the penne arrabiata and couldn't eat much of it because of the over-spiciness of it. The lady across from us ordered it as her entree and sent it back after one bite because the burn was so awful. It was simply heat in place of flavor and that is not how it should be. I really enjoyed my appetizer of portobello and polenta. My dh enjoyed his calamari though I thought it tasted like rubber-bands. Anytime a calamari ring could be confused for a Burger King onion ring, it's not going to be tender. As I mentioned before we tried four desserts and all were fine, but not delicious. I was expecting much more and was sorely disappointed. I won't do Palo for dinner again, though I would jump at the opportunity for another brunch (but again, save the desserts).

Music- We're not all between the ages of 12-21, nor do we wish to be. Turn off the "hip-hop greatest hits of the last 3 weeks" at least for a few hours. It seemed as though DJ Mateo only knew 10 songs and he was getting royalties everytime he played them. We were sitting by the gazebo on Castaway Cay listening to some lovely island sounds (even though the tape was on a one hour loop) when our friend Mat came along to play the hits from Teen Beat! My DH asked if Margaritaville could be played and he was told that it couldn't because there were too many kids around (the song suggests alcohol???). Instead, we were treated to a song about ice cream. That would have been fine except for the fact that the girl singing was suggesting that a gentleman try her cherry ice cream. Now I'm not one to judge, but I am fairly sure, given the rest of lyrics, that she hasn't had cherry anything in quite some time. ;) We also heard the Macarena (ever listen to those lyrics???), some Britney Spears stuff, and the list goes on and on. At any rate, the music selection needs to be more of a mix and less of a remix.

Disney enforcing their own rules - They need to. From pictures in the WD Theater to babies in the pool, it needs to be done. My biggest gripe was the kids in the adult series. They are no more interested in learning the art of making an appetizer than I am in going to the teen beach on CC. They shouldn't be allowed, and Disney should enforce their rules.

Photographers - Not everyone is in the Mickey Pool at noon (though it may seem that way). The photographers were never around for pictures at the Mickey Pool in the morning (anywhere from 7-11). I have great pictures of my daughter having a wonderful time, but none from the photographers. I wasn't about to try to hang out at the pools all day as the crowds are pretty heavy, but the morning was a great time for her to be in a relatively uncrowded pool. Oh well, more money in my pocket.

The Spa - I scheduled a facial for Thursday at 3pm. On Tuesday evening I received a message telling me that my appointment was now 1:30 on Wednesday. I didn't want my appt at 1:30 on Wednesday which was the reason I scheduled it for 3 on Thurs. Anyway, I went to cancel the new appt and was told that I would now be charged 50% regardless of the fact that I had not switched the appointment time. There was a little back and forth, and it was resolved with me not paying anything, but it should never have happened in the first place.

So those were the biggies. I did rebook on board, so I obviously enjoyed myself. As more time gets between my and the cruise I will have a better idea as to whether or not we'll be keeping that reservation.

p.s. - a note to parents. If you don't want the world looking at your teen dd's tush, perhaps a skirt that barely covers her thighs on a ship moving at 25 mph is not the best idea. I saw quite a few young ladies clutching their skirts in horror while trying to balance in heels that they are just learning to walk in - all while on the top deck of a moving ship. While I did find it mildly amusing, I would hazzard a guess that the parents would not. Just something to think about...

Erin :D

Glad you had a good time on your cruise--as others have said, a bad day on a Disney ship is better than a good day at work.
Wish I had a cruise booked, but none are on the horizon. (Pun intended;) ) It's funny, but there are household and medical bills to be paid--go figure.

We also were not impressed with Palo. We are not dessert eaters so that was not an issue. The food was fine--no complaints. The company was great--long-term friends. Our server was superb and attentive and we did not feel rushed. We just are not fancy-eater-outers. We prefer the fun and atmosphere of the diningrooms. In three cruises we ate at Palo once and if we ever are so fortunate as to go again, doubt if we will spend the time at Palos as we don't want to miss the diningrooms. But--each to their own.

We have never gone to the Spa so cannot comment on that.

I agree with your comments about appropriate clothing for teenage girls.

Glad you had a good time overall,
Jan :earsgirl:

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the adult series issue. Disney (at least on the Wonder) does an excellent job of keeping the kids out of the adult pool, off the adult beach, and out of the clubs at night. So what's up with the "adult" classes? If they are going to be advertised for adults, it should be enforced. I have never once seen kids asked to leave...at one "Talk With the Stage Cast," a man had a toddler who emitted a high pitched squawling noise literally the whole time. He wasn't even pretending to participate in the class. He just by a porthole (this was in Sessions) the whole time in his own dream world, perhaps taking perverse pleasure in how distracting it was for those of us who came to learn something. Unless I can just flounce into the kids lab and make flubber, I think the adult programming rules should be enforced as well as the other adult areas.
As for Palo, I'm sorry that you felt rushed. We have always experienced the exact opposite! We've never had a problem in the Disney spa, but on RCCL we had a similar incident. I ended up not getting my treatment because they arbitrarily changed my date/time after I went through the trouble of being one of the first in the booking line. I can sympathize with you because I was NOT a happy camper!
Thanks for sharing. :D
Barb

Your report was great...honest and to the point....we also have seen much more tush than we ever cared to see. It is very windy up on deck and parents should warn their teens and even adults that skirts do not stay where intended in high winds. My son lost his baseball cap in the ocean due to the winds one cruise and now holds onto it dearly each time he is up on deck.

I love DCL and have sailed 10 times with #11 this Sat and I have never cared for DCL desserts with the exception of creme brulee, Mickey Bars, and Palo choc souffle....all the others I take a pass on.

Thanks for posting.

MJ

For those lurking on the boards or easlily disturbed by less complementary observations, here's another perspective:

As far as the great and the good, couldn't agree more! We've only cruised DCL, because we've gotten spoiled. Everything about the line and the ships seems to have been designed to fit our family's personal taste.

No the other:

Food

The biggest disappointment was Palo.
On all fronts our expericne has been the total opposite. We've enjoyed the selections, we've always found the food excellent and it is not mass produced. During the galley tour you find out that entrees are made to order. Only things like salads and sides are prepared enmass ahead of time. And we haven't had a dessert yet we haven't liked. Plus if we didn't quite care for something, the serving team eagerly arranged for another dish.

Palo has been incredible each time. The food was so excellent, and we didn't feel rushed, totally the opposite. I am living for chocolate souflee and my wife loved the pana cotta (spelling on both). My wife got the receipe for CS and has made it at home a couple of times, very successfully, but not quite the same as sitting in Palo.

The music, never notice this problem. Might I suggest the adult beach for those with out kids. We've never hung around the dj long enough to get tired of the music. Way too much else to do on the island or the ship.

Photographers, whatever, I guess with a finite numbe a photographers and a large number of people and photo ops, they'll not always be where you would like them at any given moment.

Spa, Have loved it each time, but should not have to pay for something you didn't change. But they did make it right.

Disney enforcing their own rules - this is a biggie for me as well, but less for Disney enforcing than the fact people can't be responsible enough for their own actions and follow the rules that make life more civilized for everyone. It is the nature of our "me" society. Way too many people today feel like, "I've paid good money for this vacation and I'll do whatever I darn well please." You can see this is some of the posts of people ticked and expecting special compensation because the weather caused DCL to make changes to their itineraries. It's a shame that we have to look to a company to enforce rules that we should be able to live by.

To those who have booked or are considering booking. Keep this in mind, the experiences aboard the Disney ships are as wide and varried as the people who sail them.

Thanks for the honest trip report... I also wasn't thrilled with Palo this trip, last cruise was a different menu and it was delicious, but this time it was IMO just like the dining rooms.

I wouldn't race to get Palo ressies next cruise either.

Joanna

AllEars...Have your DW post the recipe, CS, Choc Lava and creme brulee YUM

I agree with your 'bests', DCL service and the beautiful ship(s). The kids in the adult areas and teen attire seem to be a common cruise issue.

Thanks mrsltg, for a great honest report. I always appreciate a report that tells the good and the bad (or not so bad).

I agreed with just about everything but the Palo. I'll tell you what, that place was a saving grace for us (esp me). I was not caring for the food throughout the cruise, but we both loved Palo.

We were also on the September 11th cruise.

We too were impressed with our stateroom host, servers and the CMs in general.

We loved Palo. We went for brunch and dinner and a couple evenings to sit at the bar when we weren't eating there. We discovered that Richard, the bartendar, was able to make fabulous Mojitos (something we couldn't get at most bars on the ship because it requires fresh mint). I think brunch was better than dinner, but we enjoyed both, had great service and did not feel rushed. In fact, when we had dinner we had to rush ourselves out of there after 2 hours to run down to the kids' club and take our daughter to the Disney Dreams show. As for the Chocolate Souffle- we liked it, but did feel like maybe it didn't quite live up to the hype.

Our biggest food dissapointment was Around the World night. We thought the menu wasn't that great and what we ordered was just okay. We also weren't that excited about Topsider's Breakfast Buffet. Most mornings we ordered coffee, cereal and muffins from room service and were delighted to stay in our jammies and drink our coffee.

Also we didn't care for Nasauu at all. Now I know Captain Tom did a great job keeping us out of harms way and the weather is not something DCL can control. We were indeed happy just to be able to go on the cruise. If I encountered that situation again, however, I would just stay on board and enjoy.

We were thrilled to get to go to Castaway Cay!!!!

We didn't rebook on board, but maybe we should have. Since we got off the ship I've been saying things like "Right now on the Magic they are doing the life boat drill.... Right now on the Magic they are having the sailaway party... It's time to get dressed for dinner"

Erin

I specifically asked, at guest services, if my daughter could go to some of the adult classes and they told me sure, it wouldn't be a problem. She is 13 and actually does have an interest in learning some of the things that were offered only to the adults. It was because of her interest that we asked at guest services in the first place. Some of those activities were nice to do together, and I don't know why they are classified as adult in the first place. If they aren't going to let teens go to them, then I think they should offer more activities like that for families. Kim

I am fine with a een/tween going to the learning sessions - as long as they are there to listen and learn. I think the problems come up when parents bring their young ones and they are a distraction to those who go to learn and enjoy. That's not fair to the people who are trying to enjoy a more adult (pr maybe mature is a better word?) activity.

If they aren't going to let teens go to them, then I think they should offer more activities like that for families. Kim

That might not be a bad idea. I wouldn't mind more "mature" kids who have an actual interest in the subject matter, but children who clearly have NO interest in being there shouldn't be.

Thanks for being easy on me! I was worried that I may have rained on someone's "pixie dust" parade and would get blasted for it! As I said it, it was a really good time. And the things that need improvement are fairly minor compared to the trip on the whole.

Erin :D

Be sure to print out what you posted and send it to DCL in a letter. I'm sure they read the boards but a letter to their office telling them about what you felt was great, good and so so would call attention to things they could improve.

Thanks for your report. The music issue was a big one for me on my last Disney cruise. Come on guys, stop playing the same songs over and over and over. I can't tell you how many times we heard songs like YMCA and the Macarena. Yuk! There are a lot more songs out there that the bands can easily learn and to get sick of songs after being somewhere for just one week says a lot of how often they are repeated.

On our cruise we had dinner at Palo and we enjoyed it very much. I thought the food was fresh and tasty, certainly better than the dining rooms.

Great Trip report. I am so glad you posted it. We are about to go n our 5th DCL Magic and our last one left a bad taste in my mouth for DCL but we decided we would give it another try.

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I agree with most of them as well. The one difference for me is Palo. We only went on our last cruise and loved it! Can't wait to try it again. We missed it on the first 4. 90 minutes wouldn't seemed rushed to me but then I'll be the first to admit we don't eat out a lot and don't do multiple courses. Nothing wrong with those who do - just not us.

If fact when we went to Palo last May it was the same night as the Castaway Club party and we had our appitizers there. When we told our server we just wanted the main course he said he was going to fill us up on dessert to make up for it and he did! He brought a souffle for each of us and then one of every other one of their desserts. The souffle was wonderful and we didn't do too bad on taking care of the others as well. :D

mrsltg (Erin). Thanks for your post.
Yes I agree that all the CMs were wonderful.

We had the High Tea at Palo for my Mom. The tea sandwiches were okay, the scones were fresh and tasty (without too many raisins thank goodness) the Devonshire cream and jams were wonderful. The eclair was nice but the English trifle was tasteless. We had ressies for dinner at Palo I left before eating because I was coming down with a GI upset. My Mom and DBF loved the food and our server felt so bad for me he sent my dinner and the chocolate souffle back to the cabin. (I couldn't touch either one because of my stomach upset.:( )

As for desserts at the restaurants we enjoyed many of them. The first night one of our dinner tablemates asked her husband if she couls try his dessert (the white choicolate dome mmm) and when he refused she asked our server Rodger for one of those. Rodger then brought one more of every dessert on the menu and we all tried them! It became a ritual every night for him to bring what we ordered and then one more of each for us to try! And on Thursday I had arranged for a birthday cake for my friend. It was delicious! Lots and lots of chocolate. Someone made a boo boo in the kitchen and it said Happy 88th Birthday! Now she is no where near 88 so our head server quickly wipe off the seond 8!

I would like to see some variety in the "light" area of the menu. It was the same 3 items every night. If you are on a restricted diet or just watching what you eat it can get boring very quickly!
Some of the lunch buffet items were too spicy and my Mom can't understand why at every buffet (even breakfast) there were cold cuts!
::yes:: All in all it was a wondeful week. And yes we rebooked as well.::yes::

Some of those activities were nice to do together, and I don't know why they are classified as adult in the first place. If they aren't going to let teens go to them, then I think they should offer more activities like that for families. Kim

Sorry, but there are tons of activities for familes. We spend a lot of time with our kids on these trips, yet we enjoy the activities that are designed for adults. It's nice to be on your own doing things with other grown ups. Plus the cruise line tries very hard to appeal to all passengers, not just the ones traveling with kids. So those sans kids should be confident that adult programing is going to be just that.

And where do you draw the line, a mature 13 year old, how about a mature 8 year old? And when do you draw the line, is it also okay to have the mature teen at the adult pool. My boys too would find a number of the programs very interesting and they are very well behaved. But they don't get to go because that is the rule. They will have to look forward to doing these things when they're grown up.

I think it was awesome that you asked at guest service first. That shows a great deal of respect for the others involved. This is totally a general response to DCL policy in it's programing. I also agree with Barb, when they let me into the lab to make flubber or play on Captain Hooks prirate ship, then the kids can join us at our programs. :teeth:

mrsltg:

Curious if Melwin was your waiter or your assistant waiter?

He was our waiter while on board and had Paula as an assistant.

thanks....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter