DCL Should Do This!

I was just about to post about the increased prices when Angie beat me to it. The thought of free alcohol makes it too much like a "booze cruise" to me ...not appealing. And for those who don't drink, it isn't much benefit - the sodas are already included....

There have been reports that NCL has been having problems and they have some big mortgages on those new ships. I believe this is a one vessel test!

I also agree..........its not a good fit with DCL or would I add, RCCL with their big marketing toward families and kids.

AKK

There have been reports that NCL has been having problems and they have some big mortgages on those new ships. I believe this is a one vessel test!

I also agree..........its not a good fit with DCL or would I add, RCCL with their big marketing toward families and kids.

AKK

It is offered on multiple ships.

Hi TXDCL

According to the news its 1 vessel out of Miami.

AKK
I can see DCL trying this with one of the older ships, perhaps the Wonder or Magic. Maybe it would start off with select cruises and if it's popular, it would expand. I bet DCL execs watch NCL to see how it works for them.

I wouldn't count on this not happening.

MUN

Quite apart from the image issues and the potential to turn into a booze cruise ("I paid for this, I'm going to get my money's worth out of it"), what usually happens in such situations is that the quality of the alcohol goes way down to compensate for those people who are trying to get their money's worth out of it. You can do it in small venues and keep good quality, but large all inclusives tend to lower the quality to compensate for the quantity.

The worst experience I had was at my niece's wedding at an all inclusive Riu resort in Jamaica. We were staying elsewhere so we had to pay to spend the day there and for dinner. While we were waiting between the ceremony and dinner, one of my family members who was staying there said that she was going to the bar to get a drink and did we want anything. DH says "yes, a nice glass of white wine" to which she responded: "you can't have both - you can either have white wine or you can have something nice". Boy was she right. Tasted like it was made in a dirty bathtub last week. Disgusting. The rest of the drinks there were no better including at dinner. I ended up sticking with ginger ale. Went back to our own resort after dinner and had a genuinely nice glass of white wine.

I would hate to see DCL go that direction. Anyway, it would just push the price of the cruise up to cover the costs. If they were to keep good quality, it would push the price up even higher and people already complain about DCL prices. And not everyone drinks. So they'd be paying for other people to do so. The resort that we stayed at in Jamaica was all inclusive including alcohol but had a maximum capacity of 24 and was significantly more expensive than the Riu. For larger venues like a cruise ship, I'd rather pay by the purchase and simply include the price of drinks into my vacation budget.

I'm not much of a drinker to want this plus I like the fact the DCL doesn't have a problem with bringing alcohol on board like some other cruise lines do.

I don't think Disney would go in that direction. Their focus is families, especially those with small children. One of the reasons people choose Disney is because it doesn't have the booze cruise feel. Also, like the other poster said, they let you bring alcohol on board.

I can see DCL trying this with one of the older ships, perhaps the Wonder or Magic. Maybe it would start off with select cruises and if it's popular, it would expand. I bet DCL execs watch NCL to see how it works for them.

MUN

They've seen other lines offer various levels of beverage packages and haven't gone that route either (though it would be nice if they would). As has been said, they are not having issues filling their ships. I see them offering pricing deals WAY before they go the "this is a booze cruise" route.

MUN

Never happen as Disney are not party boats and don't want the reputation as they will lose more families then ever gain with the the few who would be interesting.

AKK

I don't mind them not having an all alcohol package, especially since you can bring alcohol on board. I'd rather see more consistent discounts like the "kids sail half off", or maybe OBC if you PIF by a certain pain...don't know. The half off deposit thing was great - we wouldn't have been able to book otherwise, so having that would be great.

I don't mind them not having an all alcohol package, especially since you can bring alcohol on board. I'd rather see more consistent discounts like the "kids sail half off", or maybe OBC if you PIF by a certain pain...don't know. The half off deposit thing was great - we wouldn't have been able to book otherwise, so having that would be great.

Not everyone wants to lug a liquor cabinet onboard with them - and those of us who fly and don't drive and don't use car services have no way to bring anything. It would be a nice option for them to have, and more than one person has said if Disney did offer beverage package(s) they would not bring their own but purchase the package - thus creating profit for the company.

Not everyone wants to lug a liquor cabinet onboard with them - and those of us who fly and don't drive and don't use car services have no way to bring anything. It would be a nice option for them to have, and more than one person has said if Disney did offer beverage package(s) they would not bring their own but purchase the package - thus creating profit for the company.

Oh I'm flying in :D I'm just lucky this time around that I am visiting family beforehand so before I get to the Hyatt I'll be hitting Publix/ABC Liquors.

But even if I couldn't bring alcohol on board, I guess with 2 kids a bigger incentive for me would be a kids' discount or the half off deposit because that affects my bottom line more....but I know everyone's different. :)

There is a liquor store on board... DH and I were shocked by how unexpensive alcohol was (each bottle 5 to 10$ less than what we pay at home). No need to jack up the price to make it free. If we want to drink, we know where to go. Lol

I would prefer free pop corn. popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter