• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL raises minimum sailing age to 6 months

elephant98

Earning My Ears
Long time reader and rare poster here. If this has already been posted elsewhere here on this forum, please excuse my ignorance. But, I thought others would like to know that, effective immediately, DCL is raising the minimum age to 6 months on most cruises that depart after January 1, 2015. I received the notice because my wife is pregnant and we happen to be booked on such a cruise next year. If the baby arrives on time, he/she will be under 6 months old at the time. The email I received from Disney stressed that this restriction applies to New bookings, so our our current reservation will not be effected.

Here is the text of the email I received from DCL an hour ago:

Thank you for selecting a Disney Cruise Line vacation for your family.

We are glad that you will be joining us in 2015, and want to share with you some information about a change in the the minimum age to sail. As a Guest currently scheduled to sail with an infant in 2015, we want to assure you that this change will not apply to your current reservation referenced above.

Effective July 18, 2014, for all new bookings on sailings commencing after January 1, 2015, the minimum age to sail aboard Disney Cruise Line ships will be 6 months of age on most itineraries. The minimum age for Transatlantic, Hawaii, and Panama Canal itineraries will increase to 1 year of age.

While this change will not apply to your current 2015 reservation, we wanted to advise you of the change and the exception that is being made for your existing reservation. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-939-2784.

It is also important to mention that the restrictions on the length of pregnangy have not changed. Women who have entered their 24th week of pregnancy as of their embarkation date or who will enter their 24th week of pregnancy during their cruise are not allowed to sail.

We look forward to sailing with you next year.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

Wow, that would be a huge change! Every article I've seen on family travel makes a big deal about the fact that Disney is the only cruise line that takes kids under six months old. I wonder why they're making the change?

Good question. I forwarded the email to my travel agent and she has not yet been made aware of any change by Disney. There are a couple of typos in the email I received, which initially made me pause and question its authenticity. But, it contained my exact booking number and otherwise looks official.

How sad. We traveled with our five month old last march and it was a great trip. And relatively easy too

I got the same email too. We are sailing on the fantasy next April and our baby is due in November, so he'll be at 5 months.

They put a temporary birth date in on the reservation, so I hope this will not cause problems when we have to change to the actual date. Also hoping that everyone at the port is up to speed on the exceptions.

I'll be sure to take the email along with me just in case.

Wow, that would be a huge change! Every article I've seen on family travel makes a big deal about the fact that Disney is the only cruise line that takes kids under six months old. I wonder why they're making the change?

My guess - and it's just that - is that even though that family was sailing their own little boat and not on a cruise, the story of the family with the very sick infant and the lengths that had to be gone to to save them has a lot to do with it. It showed how vulnerable the little ones can be and just how risky it can be.

This is the announcement DISboards has posted (seems to be the same as the letter above):

Effective July 18, 2014, the minimum cruising age has been raised from 12 weeks old to 6 months of age for sailings commencing after January 1, 2015. On Transatlantic, Hawaii and Panama Canal itineraries, the minimum age is 1 year old. This change is consistent with age restrictions on other cruise lines.

Guests who have an existing 2015 reservation will be subject to the previous rule, so children between 12 weeks and 1 year will be allowed to sail on their existing reservations. All new bookings must comply with the new age limits.

That is surprising. We traveled with our son at 5 months last year and had a great cruise. The only reason we even did DCL that first time was because of their policy allowing him to come on before 6 months. We thought the services offered were great (pack and play in the room, diaper genie, nursery services, etc.) I don't think this would have anything to do with their inability to provide services and accommodations. My guess is it is a liability thing and they are concerned about insurance or emergency services. The only issue we ran into was that the older ships do not have much for water activities for babies, but we were on the Dream so Nemo's reef worked out perfect to let him stay cool in the heat.

I am sure it has absolutely zero to do with the stranded yacht family. And everything to do with cost and liability. Babies bring the ship almost no money- they don't have any additional spend and they probably have the highest insurance/ liability rates in nursery care.

My guess is the viruses that have been running rampant on cruises could be fatal to babies that haven't had all their shots and have weaker immune systems. It makes sense from a medical liability standpoint.

My DD will be 6 months on our cruise and will have her shots week before we leave. It's not a guarantee, but at least I feel like she'll be in a little better position to travel.

Another theory is that DCL was getting feedback from other cruise lines over the minimum age difference, the other cruise lines may have been frustrated over hearing "I can take my LO on DCL, why can't I take him on this line?" Far fetched but logical.

DD was 5 months on her first cruise and she did great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter