DCL Picture of the Day - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff%20Walk%2002.jpg

My wife on the Cliff Walk at Capilano Park in Vancouver. Great park to visit while waiting on the Wonder to pick you up

2rep9n9.jpg

kavfb.jpg

After posting pictures on these Boards for almost a year, I thought I would post a couple that transcended all of them. These two photos were taken at the 1st Official Disneyana Convention held in 1992 at Walt Disney World. To the left in the top picture is Ward Kimball, with Frank Thomas to the right. In the lower picture Ollie Johnston is on the left and Marc Davis is on the right. These were the last four surviving members of Disney’s famous “Nine Old Men.”

Walt Disney once famously said that, “It all started with a mouse.” However, without these gentlemen [and others like them], Disney would not be where it is today.

Ward Kimball [died 2002] animated the Cheshire Cat, Jiminy Cricket, and the eponymous song from The Three Caballeros. He went on to design the tableaux in the World of Motion at Walt Disney World. He was atrain buff and had a full-sized, working locmotive in his back yard.

Frank Thomas [died 2004] animated Thumper, Captain Hook, and Lady and the Tramp at Tony’s. He was a life-long friend of Ollie Johnston’s - having met in college.

Ollie Johnston [died 2008] animated Rufus in the Rescuers, Prince John, and Mr. Smee. He, along with Frank Tomas, wrote the definitive ‘bible’ on animation techniques - Disney Animation: The Illusion of Life.

Marc Davis [died 2000] animated Tinker Bell, Maleficent, and Cruella De Vil. He was also an imagineer, designing the scenes in the Jungle Cruise, the Country Bear Jamboree, and the [pre-Jack Sparrow] Pirates of the Carribean. It is his art work in the ‘stretching room’ of the Haunted Mansion.

At that first Disneyana Convention there were 500 registrants. More than 2/3 had no idea who these elderly men were - even after the presentation pictured above. I had the opportunity to meet and talk with these Legends [one in particular], and thought I would pass along some info to those who might not know who these men were.

Now back to the usual pictures.

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter