DCL Photography Concerns - Read This

castlegazer said:
I "lost" a photo of my children. The photographers took a photo of my children together with the backgrounds, they say printed it and displayed it, and I never found it. Now htey could be telling me a lie about displying it, but I don't think so. I found all the other photos in that series.

Precisely why, when we purchased the photo of the little girl, we asked the photo lab to print another copy. I think I would be more upset over losing a picture of my kids than I would if someone else wanted a copy.

As a parent we have to be one step ahead of the nuts out there. It doesn't hurt to discuss this issue and see how people feel about it. Perhaps there is a better solution out there.

Downrivermama said:
Not sure were this occurs, but not in my school district. The teachers at my dd's school take alot of pictures and never have sent home a waiver to be signed.
I work as a tech support person for our school system in Georgia. Here it is a requirement for parents to sign a waiver at the beginning of each year giving or denying permission to have their child's picture on the school website (which I won't do even if they have given permission), have their picture posted in the newspaper, and be allowed to use the internet while being supervised. I have to keep a checklist of the students showing whether their parents agreed or disagreed to allow this. Also, we also won't post a student's first and last name on the website...only first name, last initial. In the middle and high schools, this document is an actual page in the agenda that they are given at the beginning of the year, while in elementary it is included in the packet given to them at Open House (or registration). However, that said, there is no document that says that teachers can't take pictures of the students, only that they can't be shown in certain places.

When I bought pictures of our girls on the cruise, they weren't with me, and no one ever questioned me. However, I would hate it if those pictures were never taken of them. It would be great if they could do something on the idea of the PhotoPass, that way it would be tied into your stateroom.

I, too do not like this idea. How difficult would it be for them to put a link for your pictures to your room? This would save the endless digging around searching for your pictures and put parents a bit more at ease. As to those who wonder "what possible thing people could do with these anyway?"... Have you been living in a shell? They can be altered in discusting ways and posted on the internet and used for personal pleasure. It HAS happened before. I will mention this on my cruise.

cantwait520 said:
This would save the endless digging around searching for your pictures and put parents a bit more at ease.

Our family pretends it is like an Easter Egg Hunt so trying to find the photos is the most fun aspect of stopping by Shutters.

cantwait520 said:
As to those who wonder "what possible thing people could do with these anyway?"... Have you been living in a shell? They can be altered in disgusting ways and posted on the internet and used for personal pleasure. It HAS happened before. I will mention this on my cruise.

The veterans of this thread will attest to the fact that the "DCL Picture of the Day" thread which has over 3,300 posts and 316,000 views is one of the most popular threads in many years.

Obviously altering photos in a disgusting manner is not a great concern for many on this forum. As matter of fact by posting them to this forum in an electronic format they made the pedophiles life considerably easier since they don't have to buy the photo or scan it so maybe this issue is being blown WAAAAAAAY out of proportion considering the overwhelming response of that thread.

cantwait520 said:
As to those who wonder "what possible thing people could do with these anyway?"... Have you been living in a shell? They can be altered in discusting ways and posted on the internet and used for personal pleasure. It HAS happened before

While it's true any childs photo could be used in a disgusting manner, that really has nothing to do with DCL policy or Shutters' photographs. On the ship, the only people who can possibly purchase your kids' pictures are your fellow cruise passengers. Again, it would be far easier - and free - for someone with a nefarious motive to obtain such photos right here on the DIS than it would to purchase them at Shutters. They could also just bring a camera and take the pics themselves - or stay home and use Google. Regulating (or enforcing) who can buy the Shutters' photographs would stop none of that.

Frankly, while some posters in this thread have legitimate concerns, this is basically trying to solve a problem where none exists.

Minnie&Mickey said:
I work as a tech support person for our school system in Georgia. Here it is a requirement for parents to sign a waiver at the beginning of each year giving or denying permission to have their child's picture on the school website (which I won't do even if they have given permission),.

I am webmaster for a Little League website. Little League policy says no pictures of the children where they are identifiable, so only wide shots, and no names at all, ever.

lbgraves said:
This isn't a matter of calling someone a name. A troll is someone who registers on an internet message board & posts a controversial thread, usually with inaccurate information, to stir things up.
Exactly! Thank you lbgraves!

Troll:
(v.) (1) To deliberately post derogatory or inflammatory comments to a community forum, chat room, newsgroup and/or a blog in order to bait other users into responding.

If the original poster were really a professional photographer as he says he is, it seems to me he would have read the DCL contract that he signed (posted by others).

If the original poster were really a professional photographer as he says he is, it seems to me he would have some understanding of personal privacy laws.

If the original poster had written the post in such a way that he was asking an innocent question .... that would have been one thing. But the post was written with the premise the he was an expert in the field of photography and with the premise that he was the authoritiy on the subject and that what DCL is doing is wrong. Actually, the original poster was wrong .... and most likely knew it before he wrote the post. Hence ... Troll!

Buddy Bear said:
The veterans of this thread will attest to the fact that the "DCL Picture of the Day" thread which has over 3,300 posts and 316,000 views is one of the most popular threads in many years.

Obviously altering photos in a disgusting manner is not a great concern for many on this forum. As matter of fact by posting them to this forum in an electronic format they made the pedophiles life considerably easier since they don't have to buy the photo or scan it so maybe this issue is being blown WAAAAAAAY out of proportion considering the overwhelming response of that thread.

You know there is just a point where you can't do everything or think of everything that could possibly happen because you would keep your family in a windowless room 24/7. I am concerned with my child's immediate safety both in our home and when we go out. Once they entered Kindergarten there was a layer of parental control that I had to let go of to some point. I wasn't with them for 7 hours of the day 5 days a week. They were taught about the possiblity of a stranger entering their school with a gun with the intent to kill some or all of them and had to learn to be safe with a drill that put them in small and dark spaces. Hearing about this broke my heart...then I had to realize that there are crazy people in the world. I could homeschool them to avoid this...but those crazy people could also enter our home with the same intent.

Now I am very involved at their school (PTO & homeroom mom to both of their classes) so I am familiar with the daily processes & concerns. I have witnessed first hand potential threatening problems & the way they were handled & am satisfied that my children are as safe as possible while there. We don't have many parents who volunteer so the vast majority simply put their kids on a bus or drop them off at the front of the building and go on about their day with complete blind faith in the institution & the administrators.

Let's say that they asked for your room number when they took a photo on the ship and only let someone in that room purchase it. Let's say they only did a photo pass system where there were no print outs available onboard...you order what you want & they are mailed to your home or you purchase a disc. Would THAT eliminate the potential of someone getting a copy of your picture? No! Anyone with access to the digital photos could make a copy. Honestly, my life is already too taxed with immediate concerns to be able to process every single possibility. Someone could present the argument that a job in the entertainment department of DCL is a potential dream job of a sicko. Think about it...lots of kids wanting to hug you...being in an inconspicuous wardrobe when you are on the job. That's too much for me to focus on. :(

take a look at the Cruise contract you sign before DCL lets you on board -- item 38 looks to me like it allows DCL (and others) to take your picture ...

If you really want to read that contract...they also say that they do NOT guarantee that you will cruise on a DCL ship or go to any of the ports on your itinerary. You will be put on A ship & go someplace. That is basically it.

After having read thur this -- I'm still unclear as to how a photo taken (of anyone) child or not is truely "dangerous" to them.
It could be that unrealistic paranornia (sp?) is now at such a degree that 'normal life' is no longer possible????

While the OP may not necessarily be a troll, it sure stirred up a hot topic. Isn't that usually reserved for topics like passports? ;) My personal favorite!

Anyway, why try to create a sense of fear for something that is suppose to be fun? We would have to ban cameras AND videos EVERYWHERE. I think there should be more worry in our home towns than on a cruise. If the person is taking the pictures in my neighborhood playground, my child is in a whole lot more danger than on a cruise because that person can easily follow me home.

Let's face it, the DCL pictures will be cute, not slimy for sickos who might look at them.

Tvguy-thanks for the correct info-somehow I knew you would find it!

MommyMinnie-how right you are!!!

Cruella do Mom-I think it was very cute and harmless. And I love your name!!!

I was actually disappointed on our last cruise, there were only 2 pictures taken of our family the entire time. 1 was at embarkment and the 2nd was at dinner on formal night. DS was in the teen club and did the Wild Side and there NO pictures taken. But then again, I got off cheap!!! :teeth:

OP-My advice to you is to pull a Michael Jackson and make your kids wear a mask whenever they leave your home!

Thank you

I have been thinking about this thread and people's paranoia. I think a cruise is pretty safe compared to say, the soccer park where a sicko could easily find my child the following week. Or the baseball park where my kids run back and forth to the concession stand 5 times during a two hour game.

And while we are talking about protecting our children - how many parents are riding around with their child's school posted on their bumper in some way or another. Or for that matter, their child's sports team with the child's team number. I am not against these things and I personally don't think they are very dangerous but they have MORE potential to endanger your child than a picture taken on vacation.

Unless your child is wearing a tshirt that says "I will left alone tomorrow at 3pm on Deck 9" I think a picture is fairly safe. But thats just my opinion and we all know that I am one of those creepy types that buys pictures of other peoples kids....

MSWint said:
Stop feeding the 'Troll'. The original poster is completely inaccurate in his/her understanding of our 'Privacy Laws' .... which leads me to believe that he/she is not a professional photographer as he/she claims.
I would have to disagree with this. I think it is a valid concern. The dumpster diving OTOH is think is completely ridiculous, though....

But on the other hand, if people are concerned with other people purchasing photos of their children, why don't you all see if it is acceptable to tear the photos in half before placing them in the big bin of unwanted photos?

DutchsMommy said:
Found in dumpster at Port Canaveral:

:

mattmommy, ivanova and DutchsMommy,

The three of you gave me the best laugh I've had in a while. :lmao:

See, there are DANGERS. My child is always caught in photos picking his nose, too. Or hmm....or maybe that IS my child you took pictures of.

Carla

I don't think there are too many people who would actually buy photos of someone elses kids when they can simply take their own photo for free. There are dangers everywhere, it is the job of the parents to weigh these dangers. As for the fingerprints on the photos, just take a look at the amount of kids in Shutters and I'm sure you can guess where those came from. Many times I have to move photos while searching for my own. I see lots more to worry about onboard than the pics. Lots of times there are small kids roaming the ship late at night, that would worry me more but that's just me. I'm sure everyone has their own rules that their family follows.

I have not read all the posts here but, it is time to stop blaming everyone else for what you should be responsible for. People who want to hold someone else responsible should look at themselves first. Unless you live in a fortress and never leave you are subject to almost anything. Relax, life is for living not for blaming :confused3

Thanks Minnie&Mickey, thanks for the info. My dd recently had a student teacher who wrote a note home and said she was going to take pictures for her portfolio! She didn't ask.

Quote form LBGraves: You know there is just a point where you can't do everything or think of everything that could possibly happen because you would keep your family in a windowless room 24/7. I am concerned with my child's immediate safety both in our home and when we go out.

Thank you Lisa! The voice of reason. I too am active in my dd's school, but I'm a single mom and have to work. I have a wonderful neighbor who I can count on, as she volunteers at school. But I feel comfortable, that staff do their best to insure every child's safety. Even though we live accross the street from the school, I don't let my dd go to the playground alone, because I can't see back there. She can only go with someone. Children run wild alone in our neighborhood, some quite young (like 3yrs old!). That concerns me more than someone getting ahold of my dd's picture.

We all remember 9/11, has anyone stopped living their life, like they always have, just because of future posibilities or what if's? We all do the best we can, but it is each individual's responsibility to do it, not ban it for everyone.

There have always be unsavory people in this world. It just seems that it is much more talked about than it use to be when I was a kid.

I didn't notice anyone taking an unusual interest in checking out the children.

Adults checking out other adults, on the other hand...

I did see A LOT of married men at the bar in the adult pool area taking A LOT of interest in watching ladies in their bikinis. Not their wives, mind you.

Many of the CMs who work on Deck 9 took a lot of interest in staring at the blondes in their bikinis, too. One ran straight into the railing as he was watching a blonde's chest instead of where he was going.

People watching is so entertaining!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter