• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL not renewing Shutters contract???

Lorilais_mommie

" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the
Over the last 2 months-
I have read 3-4 reports of people being told from WDW photopass CM that DCL will NOT be renewing shutters contact.. (Which I guess is up in 2 years) :confused3
And will be replacing thier photo system with something similar to what they have in the parks..

Someone please please tell me this is true!!
I have not had very good experiences with shutters.. (And I know I'm not alone)
I love love love WDW photopass/memory maker. I really hope this is true!

Last edited:
I know it's been rumored for long time.. But I've never heard of WDW photopass CM telling people..
Let alone had 4 people report back the exact same info..

Thought maybe some else had heard something from DCL?? Or some inside track?

I know it's been rumored for long time.. But I've never heard of WDW photopass CM telling people..
Let alone had 4 people report back the exact same info..

Thought maybe some else had heard something from DCL?? Or some inside track?

It's always under review, but take the rumours from the ship not WDW.

I just want some sophisticated photos with less tacky cartoon drawings on them. Always look so gimmicky.

I believe you can ask for any picture to be reprinted with NO boarders/characters/sayings..... just a straight up picture. We requested that on one of our formal pictures, and bingo, it was re-printed.

I believe you can ask for any picture to be reprinted with NO boarders/characters/sayings..... just a straight up picture. We requested that on one of our formal pictures, and bingo, it was re-printed.
Actually I leave all the photos in a box. I make the online photo books because they take up less space. And enlarge others to sizes over 2feet for a life experience wall I have at home. So far I've been unable to get the disk without extra.......stuff.

Over the last 2 months-
I have read 3-4 reports of people being told from WDW photopass CM that DCL will NOT be renewing shutters contact.. (Which I guess is up in 2 years) :confused3
And will be replacing thier photo system with something similar to what they have in the parks..

Someone please please tell me this is true!!
I have not had very good experiences with shutters.. (And I know I'm not alone)
I love love love WDW photopass/memory maker. I really hope this is true!

I would love to see a digital system replace the current system. I wouldn't take a Photopass CM's word on this kind of change though. DCL and Parks & Resorts operate completely independent of one another, there is very little crossover (and when there is it is usually on the creative end of things: imagineering, planning etc.) between the two operations, and they really don't communicate with each other internally.

Shutters is Disney's name for their on board photography. From the Disney Cruise Line Job website it appears it is run by images.com. From the images.com website it appears they are just about the only company that provides photography services to cruise lines.
So maybe they will change the operation, but, unless they decide to hire their own staff, it appears there aren't any other option for them to hire.
http://dcl.disneycareers.com/en/explore-positions/additional-shipboard-positions/
http://www.image.com/

Shutters is Disney's name for their on board photography. From the Disney Cruise Line Job website it appears it is run by images.com. From the images.com website it appears they are just about the only company that provides photography services to cruise lines.
So maybe they will change the operation, but, unless they decide to hire their own staff, it appears there aren't any other option for them to hire.
http://dcl.disneycareers.com/en/explore-positions/additional-shipboard-positions/
http://www.image.com/

image is the largest, but hardly the only one. Ocean-images is for example another company.
http://www.ocean-images.com/

Did trans ocean go under? I can't get to their website - something about a DNS error. There are a few other smaller ones.

I've always used another photo service onboard. The photographer is with me 24/7, I can have pictures with anyone, including characters, there is no copyright issue, the hundreds (potentially) of photos are excellent, they are wonderful reminders of the cruise, and videos are intermingled with them. Best of all this service is FREE!

The name of the service is me. And I cost several hundred dollars less than the Shutters, which provides much less product. I have other splurges (Remy, shore excursions, cabana).

Last edited:
I'm totally happy with taking my own pictures, but I'm not usually in them, then. Also, my lighting and expertise of manually using my camera for optimal lighting basically sucks. So, whether I like the price of Shutters or not, I may end up using them. I'm just not that good at coaxing images out of photoshop to be able to correct the many errors I would otherwise have.

At one time Disney did use their own staff for photos and then sadly went to an outside agency. Hope they go back to their own.

MJ

I wanted to make a positive comment about photos. I was on this summers Alaska cruise. Of course all the borders were still not optional, but they were list flamboyant in there cartoonish look but still whimsical and fun. The photo Decour was much more acceptable on the living room mantle then a child's bookshelf.

Theres 1 potential issue that seems to be over looked. If DCL did do away with Images (Shutters parent company) and did go with the Photopass from the parks, it may become a pay/ union issue, neither of which DCL wants. I'm not 100% sure if the photo pass employees are contractors or WDW Cms, in which case, if they are Cms, most likey they are covered under a union.

Theres 1 potential issue that seems to be over looked. If DCL did do away with Images (Shutters parent company) and did go with the Photopass from the parks, it may become a pay/ union issue, neither of which DCL wants. I'm not 100% sure if the photo pass employees are contractors or WDW Cms, in which case, if they are Cms, most likey they are covered under a union.

Hi Trucvk,

I really enjoy reading your posts and in site into how things work, but sometime I do not get your thought process!
If dcl implemented a photopass@sea concept, employed their own cm's, why would they be subject to labor pay and union issues anymore than the cm's in the club and lab or cruise staffs?
DCL are not american flagged ships so pay and unions are not a problem for US crew from what i've read?

Hi Trucvk,

I really enjoy reading your posts and in site into how things work, but sometime I do not get your thought process!
If dcl implemented a photopass@sea concept, employed their own cm's, why would they be subject to labor pay and union issues anymore than the cm's in the club and lab or cruise staffs?
DCL are not american flagged ships so pay and unions are not a problem for US crew from what i've read?
I think because it's been suggested or implied that the photographers would be an extension of the photopass service utilized by WDW - those workers are hired & run here in the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter