DCL Gold Castaway Club Question

Rigby

Mouseketeer
Hi! We just booked our 5th DCL trip and after that one we'll be Gold Castaway Club status. My brother told me that he read that if you reach something like Gold status with any cruise line that other cruise lines will also honor your level of status. Does anyone know if that's true? We love DCL but I'm sure at some point we'll want to try another line and this would be great if he's right. Thanks! :yay:

Sometimes cruise lines owned by the same company do this, but I'm sure Disney does not. RCCL and Celebrity do because they are owned by the same company.

Can confirm that MSC is the only cruise line that will status match another line. Other lines may match within their brands (I.e. Royal and Celebrity).

For MSC you must provide proof of your current status and sail within 3 years.

Can confirm that MSC is the only cruise line that will status match another line. Other lines may match within their brands (I.e. Royal and Celebrity).

For MSC you must provide proof of your current status and sail within 3 years.

Thanks so much for the info! I really don't know anything about that line. Are they good for kids? Is it quality service? We really love DCL but at some point I'm worried my 7 year old will grow out of it. And we're also getting curious after having only been on DCL four times now. Thanks again!

MSC is a European company, but they have been extending their presence in the Caribbean. Very different vibe from Disney, definitely fine for adults, and recently they started adding some kids facilities. But - they remain a very different type of cruise line, catering to an international and multilingual crowd.

Thanks so much for the info! I really don't know anything about that line. Are they good for kids? Is it quality service? We really love DCL but at some point I'm worried my 7 year old will grow out of it. And we're also getting curious after having only been on DCL four times now. Thanks again!

While I don’t know your 7y old, I can’t imagine outgrowing DCL for at least a few more years.

Our MSC cruise was on the Seaside out of Miami, but without our 4 kids. For the price of a DCL cruise, we were able to book Yacht Club which is all inclusive drinks, a butler and our own pool and restaurant. We loved it and older kids would have no issues too, though a very different experience from Disney and maybe less for the 6-12 demographic.

Shows are more cirque de solei and less Broadway and meals were on par in the yacht Club but a step down everywhere else. We loved it and had a good experience, but I’m not sure I’d turn there first with a 7y old

What did you get for your status on MSC? And what do you mean sail within 3 years? If I am platinum on DCL what will that get on MSC? We did sail on the MSC seaside last year and loved it. But didn't know to ask for any status perks :(

Please note that you can only status match once and from one loyalty program, so pick the one that will give you the best match. With only one Disney cruise, I matched to Silver on MSC (Silver, Gold, Black) but Platinum should match to the highest, black tier. There are some hotel loyalty programs that match, but most are cruise lines.

On MSC, black status should get you priority boarding, fresh fruit basket, one hour thermal session, a specialty restaurant dinner, a chocolate ship, a special party, a welcome back cocktail and priority disembarkation. Some of the priority items will still be second to certain cabins though (Yacht Club rules all on MSC).

Keep in mind that MSC is very much a class system, whereas with Disney I never felt like I was anything but a special guest my first time on the ship. Of course we stayed in the Yacht Club (the highest class) on Seaside so had access to everything, but I've heard multiple people complain about booking a less expensive cabin and being treated less well. But some great deals can be had on the Seaside and there's still plenty to keep you entertained.

Our kids are 8, 6, 4 and 2 and I just didn't feel like MSC would have been as good a fit as DCL for a family like ours. As a couple we loved it and would do it again if we could find someone to watch the kids. When they are older, for sure though (once youngest is like 8) and if we were more sensitive to Disney pricing.

We docked next to a MSC ship in Cozumel. It looked like it could have used a little time in dry dock. People definitely embarked and disembarked in Cozumel, but it didn't look like they changed over the whole ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter