• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL for couples

mjackson

Mouseketeer
My wife and I recently completed a 4-day Bahamas cruise on the Dream without the kids. I wanted to share some insights we had about going on a DCL cruise as a couple because many friends thought we were crazy to go on DCL versus others cruise lines that appear more adult oriented. As background we have sailed on DCL 6 times and also 3 other cruise lines. To be completely honest we are long time Disney fans (but not complete fanatics) and enjoy the Disney atmosphere so this may jade my views some versus other cruise lines.

When you cruise as a couple you get a totally different perspective of how DCL designed the ship. We have enjoyed the adult areas before but somehow when you really get a chance to enjoy the adult areas without coordinating with your kids it feels much different. Also it is my opinion that the DCL adult areas are much nicer and adult oriented than other cruise lines.

Dining: For lunch once boarding the boat go straight to the sit down restaurant versus Cabanas. Basically the same buffet food but a much more relaxed pace. It was nice to have a server and not feel in a rush. This was the first time we did this and will now do it ever time with or without kids. For dinners request a table for two and suggest the late seating. Nice to enjoy a quite dinner and your servers can support you better if your looking for a long or short meal. Also the second seating gives you more time in the day to do what you want (spa, swim, nap, etc). For breakfast every day we went to the dining rooms and again enjoyed a peaceful meal. Also Palo or Remy is a must. We prefer Palo and had a wonderful dinner and brunch there. If you do not prefer the Pirate Night then this could be a good option to have dinner. Also there is a quite area next to the Meridian bar to watch the fireworks.

Spa/Gym: if your a spa person then get a cruise length Rainforest pass and start using it on the first day. You will find the Rainforest is not always as busy and especially go late in the day maybe during the first dining seating. It was completely empty for us at most times. Go to the spa raffle on the first day as you may win (we did). Also go the gym every morning to work off those calories after waking up at your leisure. It was a good start for the day for us. For massages wait to book while onboard as they run great daily deals and you will have more flexibility on times.

Adult Pool/Castaway Serenity Beach: this is an obvious must. Again you will find its much easier to get a lounge chair and come and go as you please. We never had a problem finding a chair. Don't forget reading materials as my wife found out what is on the boat is very limited. The store does have a few for sail and also the Cove Cafe has free books for borrow while on the cruise. While at Castaway doing something you usually do not get the chance to do.

Ship Activities: still enjoy what you like such as the shows, movies, etc. We found it more fun going just the two of us. We would have normally gone to every show if the kids were with us however we only went to the ones we really wanted. Try some of the adult activities such as trivia. We had a blast sitting in the sports bar for a couple of hours playing cards while a few different trivia contents were held. Big tip is use the Navigator app and see what activities are planned. We found more activities on the Navigator app than on the paper version. Check under adult filter but also the family one. Also take a ride on the Aqua Duck but know you can go when the line is short such as the first dinner seating. At the last minute we decide to do the Champagne tasting (I am not a big on Champagne) and we found it to be very fun and informative. The cost of the tasting was cheaper than the cost of total champagne we tasted. Also take a nap because you can.

Room Drinks: we use to bring several choices for drinks until the recent policy change. However we found out we where fine with bringing two bottles of wine each for our room. Be sure to request wine glasses from room service as we asked for 4 every day. It was nice to have a glass of wine before dinner or late night on the balcony. Also bring your own tumbler to keep hydrated with water or if you want a soft drink while around the ship.

Debarkation: unless your in a hurry to catch a plane or get home take your time. Since it was only two of us we only had two bags plus a backpack to roll off the boat so no need to pack up the night before to be picked up. We casually spent our time getting ready and took our time getting to breakfast. This allowed most of the boat to get off the ship and go through immigration. No one tried to hurry us off the ship and it was easy to leave.

So if your considering taking a couples cruise and concerned Disney may not be the best choice then I suggest you reconsider. You will find it is a different experience at may not feel kid overwhelmed while still being a kid at heart. We are already looking for the next time we can do this again however we did miss spending the cruise with our kids and will take them next time.

Completely agree with what you said with the only exception is that we really enjoy being assigned a table with other people. We've met a lot of great people that we still keep in touch with. It's part of the joy of cruising for us.

Thanks for the report! We have a cruise planned for September (we are Disney fanatics!) but I just couldn't stand to go to WDW without my DD who is now 21 and has started a "real" job and can't take off. She never wanted to cruise so we thought this would be a good option. SO many people have asked why Disney, it will be tons of kids? I have almost cx several times now.

I love your insight, you are spot on!
My husband and I love sailing DCL as a couple, we always have a wonderful time and have never considered another cruise line.
We have #13 & #14 booked for next Spring.

Thank you for sharing! We have only sailed DCL with our kids and love doing so! DH and I always say we would still sail DCL when the kids get tired of sailing with us!

Loved your insight also! DH and I cruised for the very first time on a Disney cruise this past February without the kids to see what it was like and absolutely love it (yes, we are hooked). We were able to explore the ship more thoroughly and did enjoy Cove Cafe :-) But I cant wait to take the kids on one end of summer. We also never felt overwhelmed with a ton of kids which actually shocked my DH.

Having done 8 DCLs, 6 of them just the two of us; we love sailing DCL and will not do any other line again.
We have taken CCL, RCL, and other lines; the DCL experience is like living in our dream world to us.

DH and I are another couple with no small kiddos who loved sailing DCL. Our first cruise was this past January for 3 nights on the Dream. DH was reluctant to say the least but I need not have worried. He loved it! So much so that I am the one (for financial reasons) that wants to bail on DCL next year but he insists on sailing Disney next summer even though for the same price of our balcony cabin we can stay in a suite on RCCL.

We loved having a private table for 2 but as others have posted, the tables are all so close together we were able to converse with the families that sat near us quite comfortably but go back to our couple time very easily. We enjoyed the couples villa treatment as we sailed away from Nassau and I will forever remember my hubby tearing up the last morning at breakfast when we said our goodbyes to our wait staff. For weeks once back at home we would refer to how much we wished they were there to take care of us!

We are looking forward to our first 7 night cruise next year and as I said the only caveat for me is that I wished it was a wee bit less expensive.

Adult only couple here. 7 DCL sailings and counting under our belts. Never sailed another line, don't think I could. I agree with all of above, but like another posted - we LOVE sharing tables. We have met some great people and actually still stay in touch with a couple of them.

We are a childless couple that frequently goes to WDW & are prepping for our 1st Disney cruise this summer (We've cruised many times before on Royal)
Quick question, you mentioned going to the sit-down Dinning rooms for lunch - how does seating work for this? Can you request a table for 2 at breakfast/lunch? Or will we be forced to sit with others?

Silly question: how do you request a table for two? Me and my DBF (I'm not sure if Disney Boy Friend is an acronym, but it is now) are not very social and when I told him about shares tables, I could tell he was less than thrilled. I'm sure it would be fine BUT is there a way to put a request in?

Call the Disney Cruise Line 1-800 number and request that your table seating be for two. They do not guarantee you will get it, however. I did this for my San Diego to Vancouver cruise with my wife.
I'm more concerned that we will be scheduled for Animator's Palate the day we are in San Francisco. We planned on eating dinner in the city that night. I'm going to check our rotation when we arrive and if necessary ask Guest Services to change it, if possible. Really don't want to miss that show. (first time cruising)

We'll be taking our 5th DCL but first without kids. Only on one of them we sat with others but we didn't click. Still in discussions now if we would request a table for two or not, since we are doing a 7n.

Silly question: how do you request a table for two? Me and my DBF (I'm not sure if Disney Boy Friend is an acronym, but it is now) are not very social and when I told him about shares tables, I could tell he was less than thrilled. I'm sure it would be fine BUT is there a way to put a request in?

You could call DCL or your TA and have them put the preference on file. No guarantees, but sometimes they are able to. If not, when you board you can go and try to see if they can move you. Much easier to do so during second seating.

We have been on 17 cruises with the family including your teen age grandchildren who still love it. We have only sailed as a couple on the Disney ships when they become Turner Classic movie cruises...next one in Nov on the Fantasy. The TCM cruise has all the great service and food as a reg Disney cruise without the characters or shows, instead there are movies and interviews with stars. We always like to sit with other people to get to know them. We only eat in MDR for dinner. We eat breakfast in cabanas or the cove cafe or a banana from the fitness center. And we always have lunch on deck in the fresh air and sun. I love Palo too. We go every time. Might have to try Remy on the TCM cruise.

Mid 30's couple here with no kids. Took our very first cruise with Disney September last year and just finished our third on Monday (with 2 more booked this year and 2 already booked next year). We love them. Each cruise has even been better than the last (which is hard to believe since the other 2 were amazing as well). Our dinner service team and room host were absolutely incredible this last one. They went out of their way to make sure we had anything we could want or desire.

The last night our room host surprised us when we came back, he had the lights turned on dim, the jazz music channel on, rose petals on the bed, and a towel animal of two swans.

Our server at dinner, if we didn't eat everything of any of our food he would ask us if we liked it or wanted anything else instead (even if he wasn't the one that took our plate back he would find out from the assistant server). Our first night was Royal Palace and second was Animators. I really didn't see a desert at Animators I wanted so I asked him if there was any way I could have the soufflé from Royal..a couple of minutes later there it was.

The staff in Senses is amazing as well. My wife and I have been working on losing weight, I've lost 75lbs and she's lost 60. We did the body composition analys they offer and the personal trainer, Brojan, spent nearly 2 hours with us (was only supposed to be 45 minutes). He was extremely knowledgeable and wanted to help make sure we could reach our goals.

I can't say enough about DCL. I know they're expensive but you really do get what you pay for. (We've only sailed the Dream so far.)

We have enjoyed having dinner with others so far. We are now friends with the 2 couples we sat with in January and they are cruising with us again in November. This last cruise we were only seated with one couple. They were nice but just didn't hit it off with them like our last one (but was by no means a bad experience).

another disney couple here.go to the parks and cruises without kids.we have family that uses a different cruise line and they cant believe we use disney.i told them all you have to do is go on one.

Another couple here who cruise DCL(we sometimes...gasp! leave our teenager at home). We really don't enjoy sitting with others so it's one of the reasons (not the only one definitely) we sail concierge. We do our own thing during the day and catch up at night. It's very relaxing and my DH who was skeptical in the way all former Navy guys seem to be ("I've been on a ship for work why would I find it relaxing?" Um...it's totally different??) about cruising is a convert to the point of being a bigger fan than I am :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter