!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DCL Fleet Expansion in 2011 & 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey...we were on the maiden voyage as well. It was very exciting, but we weren't overly impressed with the service at that time...our servers in the dining room were so busy trying to get everything "right" there wasn't the fun and feeling of the cruises now. We were originally booked in June, but of course you know what happened...I still have the pins they handed out, which I think are kind of special. Am looking forward to the new ships, and think it would be cool to do a maiden voyage on one of them...although I think it will be harder than ever to book one!

Are they the pins that say Inagural or something like that? I also got them and thought they very special but then found out they gave them out the whole first year on every sailing. Same with the Mickey Helmsman framed litho that they handed out on the Maiden Voyage...they gave them out all year as well. But, I still love mine very much!!!

I do with there was some more info on what they were planning on doing the interior of the ship, Dinning rooms, common areas, how the deck was going to be laid out.

I agree it will be some time before we know anything. Look at what happens on board when the weather is bad and the ship has to change or miss a port. If they told us and then due to a design flaw or budget change they were unable to complete a feature there would be bad press everywhere. That would damage business even if the change really didn't matter, it would keep some people from cruising on the new ships and they would need to work overtime to sell the options they decided to use.

I believe we need to trust that Disney will continue to provide the Magic we have come to expect. We need to wait until they are ready to let us know. In the meantime we can talk about what we want and think will work. Disney reads these threads and who knows they might just like an idea. One can dream.

I am concerned that the economy will effect the the decisions being made on the new ships. I believe that although Disney will be touched by the current and future economy that they will be one of the last companies to feel the effects.

All it takes is a little faith, trust and pixie dust!

I remember a post regarding the date when the keel will be laid. when is that to take place?

I remember a post regarding the date when the keel will be laid. when is that to take place?

There is no published date for laying the Disney ship's keel. Currently, the bigger building at Meyer Werft is occupied by Celebrity Equinox and part of Celebrity Eclipse. They are scheduled to float Celebrity Equinox out of the building in May or June - they have published that they expect a mid June move through the River Ems to the North Sea. There will be no room to lay another keel until then. Also, they have published that, "Production (first steel cutting) will commence in early March 2009." It is usually a few months after the start of production before they lay a keel. I would expect sometime in the July or August time frame they will lay the Disney keel.

from http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1631
http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1631 said:
First steel cutting for Disney Cruise Line

Mickey Mouse in Papenburg

First steel cutting for Disney Cruise Line

Papenburg, March 2, 2009 - Start for the construction of the first cruise ship for the American cruise operator Disney Cruise Line (Orlando/USA) in Papenburg. On the 2nd of March, 2009 MEYER WERFT launched the production of the first steel plate for the new and innovative Disney cruise ship.

With this moment one special guest might not be absent: Mickey Mouse, Disney's symbolic figure. Disney Cruise Line’s President, Karl Holz, managing director Bernard Meyer and the project manager Philip Gennotte and Frank de Heer as well as Mickey Mouse pressed the start button of the automated plasma torch and initiated the start of construction work.

The name of the new Disney cruise ship has yet to be announced. However, it is certain that the design of the ship will strongly keep to classic models from the 30s. By the planning of the new ship generation the responsible engineers and designers got inspired by the transatlantic liners. These had a mighty black body, two big funnels and portholes. Externally the ship will carry the colours of Mickey Mouse similar to their current fleet. The cabins are generous and family-friendly designed.

Until 2012 MEYER WERFT will deliver two new cruise ships to Disney Cruise Line. Each of these ships has a length of 340 metres and is 37 metres wide. With 128,000 GT and 1,250 cabins the new ships will be considerably bigger than the present Disney ships.

S687_Disney_Steelcutting_Pr__web.jpg

Thanks so much for the info. It's so exciting reading anything about the two new ships.

Some of the pictures on the DCLNews.com seemed to have been zapped!

0302ar_0381kp_1__jpg_66582_orig.jpg

0302ar_0608kp_1__jpg_06790_orig.jpg

0302ar_0720kp_1__jpg_92271_orig.jpg

0302ar_0790kp_1__jpg_87981_orig.jpg

0302ar_0971kp_66279_orig.jpg

meyerwerft-profile_final_kl47153461.jpg

This concept art is titled "New", but it looks just like the old concept art I have :(

Conceptartsm.jpg

I heard that they were going to have some type of ride onboard maybe a water coaster like they have at Typhoon Lagoon!:cool1: :banana: :yay: :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter