DCL declines to make good on offers from hurricane issues!

Originally posted by Doctor P
Guess what kids? Disney's response is idiotic. We were in a similar situation to the OP and I had travel insurance and have been dealing with them as well as with DCL. Here is the travel insurance company's position: as soon as the storm became a hurricane it became a forseen event. Leaving home after the declaration of the hurricane meant that you were going into a forseen and uncovered event. So, your trip cancellation insurance will be null and void since we don't cover cancellation due to a forseen event.

Well, this is a bit different than the OP's situation. If I understand the insurance company's position, it is this: if you left your house and headed to Florida AFTER you knew that DCL was changing its plans, then it ws foreseeable that you would encounter problems. It would be the knowledge that the you know what had already hit the fan that would make it foreseeable.

However, if you left for Florida expecting to get on the 9/25 Magic in Port Canaveral and LATER found out that things had changed, that cannot be foreseeable (as a purely legal definition).

If the insurance company's position is different than the above, then I suggest that you find a friend of yours to write a letter on law firm letterhead.

No. That is not the total position as I understand it, though that is partly the case. Travel insurance will only reimburse for unforseen events and for actual out of pocket expenses up to the limits of the original price of the cruise and airline ticket. I am certainly going to fight with them about the extra expenses, but I am not really optimistic. Basically, as soon as you deviate from the original trip plan (in our case, driving after the airports closed and flights were cancelled) you are in a position where they are claiming you are on your own ("you made your bed, now sleep in it" sort of thing). I'm grateful we won't take a worse financial bath, but we will end up losing about $1000 in this debacle in terms of extra expenses that probably will not be reimbursed.

Well that is nonesense on the insurance company's part.

I mean let's be reasonable. They'd rather you not leave home at all and reimburse you for the entire trip than have you make the majority of the trip and only reimburse you a couple of hundred bucks? Nuts!

Just because you chose to drive instead of fly at the last minute should not make you ineligible for reimbursement. From the point of view of the insurance company that is utterly ridiculous. Sounds to me like your action lowered their liablilty for reimbursement to a smaller amount.

Also, a clause in those insurance policies is that you have to make every reasonable attempt to complete your travel. Now, if airfare is $300 and a cruise is $3000 I think it is reasonable to drive trying and make the more expensive cruise.

No. That is not the total position as I understand it, though that is partly the case. Travel insurance will only reimburse for unforseen events and for actual out of pocket expenses up to the limits of the original price of the cruise and airline ticket. I am certainly going to fight with them about the extra expenses, but I am not really optimistic. Basically, as soon as you deviate from the original trip plan (in our case, driving after the airports closed and flights were cancelled) you are in a position where they are claiming you are on your own ("you made your bed, now sleep in it" sort of thing). I'm grateful we won't take a worse financial bath, but we will end up losing about $1000 in this debacle in terms of extra expenses that probably will not be reimbursed.

Wellllll,
That depends--when the airports were closed but DCL was still saying the cruise was as scheduled....

I think when the cruiseline says you can cancel but they haven't changed their itinerary and kept saying the cruise would happen...I would think you have a case.

I was en route to Hawaii at the time--but in the case of Jeanne--the airport stayed open until 5pm on Saturday--and the cruise was rerouted to leave Port Everglades.

I know that everyone has their particulars--but this is the time to recall exactly how the conversations went and to track down any DCL official statements that you can that state when they "officially" changed plans...and what they were advising passengers to do.

Makes me reconsider trip insurance and purchasing it from DCL directly than outside. That way--no less chance of he said/she said...and if they pay one claim--they must pay all similar claims.

This opens up a whole new can of worms. However, at least with trip insurance you are more likely to be compensated than without it. Without it, you have no chance other than what DCL wants to do for all passengers for their inconvenience.

I generally pride myself on being different from everyone else, however I have to agree with the majority here. It seems to me that you broke even as far as your out of pocket expences in conjuction with what DCL gave you. I really don't understand the $75 for the pin trading but I may have missed something. Insurance is a must for my family, especially during a time of year when anything can happen, ie. hurricans, sept. 11th ect. I don't mean to sound rude of mean in anyway, but if you don't buy the insurance then you have no right to be paid back, plain and simple. I really hope that your feelings towards DCL pass and that you can enjoy another cruise with them in the future. :D

Basically, as soon as you deviate from the original trip plan (in our case, driving after the airports closed and flights were cancelled) you are in a position where they are claiming you are on your own ("you made your bed, now sleep in it" sort of thing).

I don't know what your insurance contract says, but the above position is contrary to any travel insurance contract I've seen. If DCL said they were cruising and you relied on their information, then you didn't make the bed -- you attempted to travel on the cruise as scheduled.

I'm not arguing with you, but I would argue with the ins. company and quote from their insurance contract.

to the original poster.........i am sorry your cruise was a disaster! We were on the 9/25 (9/27) effected by Jeanne. We did have insurance and had never bought it before...........took grandma and grandpa and were strongly advised to get it when taking older folks out of the country, mainly for health coverage. We were told your health insurance is not good when you leave the U.S. Thank goodness they were with us or we might be as mad as you are...........it was a gamble and you lost. We will never travel again without it. for those of you who don't buy, might want to check your health coverage before you leave.............Disney's coverage does not cover pre exhisting conditions, others do.

just a thought

missy

Well, I dropped the ball this year on travel insurance -- but it all worked out (luckily). I found out too late that my TA didn't include travel insurance, so I had to purchase it. It was too expensive because of short notice, so I only purchased the medical part (because of the air-evac coverage).

We were on the 8/28 -- the first cruise diverted to Port Everglades because of Frances. Luckily, however, Disney covered everything. We missed our rescheduled flight, so Disney put us up for free at Port Orleans. They also gave us free Meers vouchers for round trip back to the airport. They only thing they didn't provide was food -- but it didn't cost much. U.S. Air didn't charge any additional fees -- so we were only out a total of about $50 for dinner and breakfast.

But I will NEVER go without the travel insurance again. I've already purchased it for next year's trip. It really is a no brainer.

hi dinnysuw

I need that web address. I just contacted my insurance company and they said I would need something officia. Will that work or do I need to contact Disney. I ask about food reimbursement and the op didn't know. I bought this through triple A, I believe through Access America.

Thanks
Godisneyboat

Originally posted by RickW

Your May 14th cruise: Is that 2005 or 2006? If this is the May 14, 2005 cruise through the Panama canal, then you are probably actually doing Disney a favor by cancelling. I have no doubt that they can probably rebook the cabin for more than you originally paid for it.

Rick, I believe it is the repositioning cruise, and you are dead right that DCL will rebook for 3 times or more than he paid. (quote from back in May: $4383 w/o ins. Cat 11 Deck 6) Note: the w/o ins....

Perhaps it is now time to add the insurance if you don't cancel this one. I've used DCL insurance for the 5 cruises already taken, and have the insurance for the next two booked. You never know what might happen. Thank goodness I've never had to use it, but it's there if I need it.

Robin

Changes to the itinerary made by the insured, which result in a loss, are a general exclusion under most travel insurance (read the fine print on your policy--mine is from one of the largest and most reputable of these firms). As soon as we did not fly, we had changed our itinerary. I have not gotten final resolution of our case, and I assure you that I will fight it and hope to get something from our terrible experience. But, the exclusions on these policies are incredible in most cases.

DrCell01~:wave:

It's quite understandable to be upset when your well planned vacation went awry... Having to endure the weather, poor communication, bus problems & delays with the change in Port venue, rude or impatient CMs... It's like Murphy's law was working overtime for you & everyone who endured the September hurricane cruises this year...

Perhaps looking at it this way after you anger passes a bit could help... For a cash outlay of less than $300, you received an onboard credit of $200 ( which you would have spent anyway onboard) & discounts worth thousands of $$! I realize aggravation is a big factor here, but I would gladly pay $300 for a 25% off voucher worth a thousand or more for my family. Without having the benefit of travel insurance, you came out doing pretty well in the end....

If you cancel the 5/14 repo cruise, you will be hurting yourself- not DCL, by taking your business elsewhere! You booked at a terrific rate & DCL will gladly accept your cancellation. They can resell at a tremendous profit!

You should just envision yourself kicking back on CC with a konk cooler in hand on the first day of the repo cruise, with a smirk on your face- knowing that you truly are getting much more than your $300 worth from them, with the low, low fare you paid.. Then you get to smirk again everyday for another 13 days thru the canal to the Pacific! Remember, the pin opportunities will be awesome for this cruise too!Better yet, May is not in hurricane season! :)

~ Linda

for those who need it here is DCL website posting-i have posted it on another thread as well. i don't know if emailing it keeps its original look-but i find that copying it here does change it's official appearance-but at least it is something. now this is from the website-time is 5pm. i know that we found out via their 800 line earlier, but we were already in florida so the point was mute.
good luck to everyone.

Disney Cruise Line® –
Important Information
As of September 24, 2004 - 5:00 pm EST

Unavoidable circumstances created by Hurricane Jeanne have brought about the need to make adjustments to our Disney Wonder and Disney Magic cruises.

Disney Magic Seven-Night Cruise, September 18, 2004
Because the U.S. Coast Guard has closed Port Canaveral, this seven-night cruise will return to Port Canaveral on Friday, September 24, around 10:30 p.m. rather than Saturday morning, September 25. Guests will be provided with accommodations at a Walt Disney World Resort.

Disney Wonder Three-Night Cruise, September 23, 2004
In order to avoid the effects of Hurricane Jeanne, we have extended this three-night cruise to a four-night cruise and modified the itinerary. We will now visit Cozumel, Mexico, on this voyage rather than the Bahamas. The ship will return on Monday, September 27, to Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades.

Disney Magic Seven-Night Cruise, September 25, 2004
Because Hurricane Jeanne is impacting Port Canaveral, the Disney Magic will now depart from Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades on Monday, September 27, on a five-night voyage. The itinerary will be:

Monday: Depart from Port Everglades
Tuesday: Day at Sea
Wednesday: Cozumel, Mexico
Thursday: Costa Maya, Mexico
Friday: Day at Sea
Saturday: Return to Port Canaveral
Ground transportation will be provided to Fort Lauderdale from Walt Disney World and the Orlando International Airport. In addition, transportation will be provided back to Fort Lauderdale from Port Canaveral at the end of the cruise if your car is in Fort Lauderdale. Special incentives will be offered to those who choose to sail on this cruise.

Disney Wonder Four-Night Cruise, September 26, 2004
This cruise is being delayed by one day and will depart on Monday, September 27, on a three-night voyage rather than a four-night cruise, departing from Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades. The cruise is still anticipated to sail to the Bahamas. However, depending on the path and impact of Hurricane Jeanne, it may be necessary to eliminate our calls to Castaway Cay and to Nassau. In this event, we will explore the potential to visit other ports or to have days at sea.

We realize that guests who have reservations for this cruise were looking forward to a four-night itinerary, and we are offering discount incentives to those who still choose to sail on this cruise.

Guests who booked air travel on their own should change only the inbound flight to Florida. Do not reschedule return flights as we expect no complications related to our return to Port Canaveral on Thursday.

Go back to disneycruise.com

© Disney. All Rights Reserved.

Well, Doctor P, I feel you're right. If you changed from flying to driving to save making a larger claim on your travel insurance then you were fulfilling your part of the contract.

You had very good reason to believe that flights would have been cancelled, or impaired to a large degree that would have more than likely caused a travel delay. And, such delay had you flown would have caused you to miss the cruise. You saved them money is how I see it.

Unfortunately, that is where the other part of the story comes in (and this is one that I have been quashed on before, but I will repeat it)--as soon as the airline refunded our full fare, the insurance company is claiming that, combined with Disney's refund of the cruise fare, we were made whole and that there is no other basis for claim. Obviously, I disagree, but I am waiting for Disney's official answer on the claim I made similar to the OP.

Unfortunately, that is where the other part of the story comes in (and this is one that I have been quashed on before, but I will repeat it)--as soon as the airline refunded our full fare, the insurance company is claiming that, combined with Disney's refund of the cruise fare, we were made whole and that there is no other basis for claim. Obviously, I disagree, but I am waiting for Disney's official answer on the claim I made similar to the OP.

Ouch Doctor P--that is a tough one--BUT

If Disney all out cancelled the cruise that would be one thing. But they didn't, they offered an out but they didn't make you take it as they were still offering the cruise.

This brings up the question that others have asked so often--why have travel insurance for weather purposes. History shows that in the imminent threat of a hurricane--you'll probably get all of your money back--so why bother.

(Yeah I know, medical, death in family, living quarters become unusable do to fire or other incident).

Seems the travel insurance industry is avoiding their end of the bargain and has their underwriters/claims adjustors/and lawyers working overtime to see how they can avoid a payout.

What a big mess! Good luck Doctor P!

Lisa

Frankly, I generally only buy the travel insurance for the out of country medical and medical evacuation coverage--that can be a big ticket item that I just wouldn't be able to pay for.

I think we may run into the same situation if I understand your point....after all my "travel insurance is a must" (and I still do think it is for nearly all circumstances) I may have spoken too soon about my praises for it for us on this sailing....but on our trip delay claims forms, Access America askes for any refunds/expense allowances received from your tour operator, travel agency, common carrier, etc....

I called them and asked if a partial refund from our cruise line would affect the amount we were claiming while we were stranded and I got, "Yes, it could." This is of course different info I got from them when on our trip, but we shall see. It may work differently for us as this was also a trip interruption, which we may be able to claim, as it was a few days in a 3 week trip. But I would like to hear what folks are getting back in conjunction with DCLs overly generous refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter