DCL compared with WDW?

Royal Consort

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering how fellow Aussies felt about Disney Cruise Line as opposed to their experiences in the parks?

What did you find similar?

What did you find very different about Disney on the sea vs the atmosphere at the parks?

I did the Disney Around the World trip in 2014 visiting each of the Disney resorts and so in 2015 I'm seeing a bit more of the world (since I've done Disney parks each year for the last 4 years). As I am not prepared to give up on the Disney 'magic' I'm sailing DCL to Norway and Iceland in 2015 but feeling somewhat needy to go back to WDW for a getaway. I'm hoping this thread and the similarities will assist in building up my Disney excitement. Haha.

I think part of the lack of uber excitement about it is because no one tends to talk about the European cruises so there isn't that same level of shared anticipation like there is about the resorts.

Have you signed up to your cruise group ours was really active I know you can't mention Facebook groups on here anymore so maybe google to see if there is one to join?
I love DCL so do our kids and they have said many times they would rather cruise than go to the parks if they had to choose one, it's more relaxed the crew are awesome and honestly you are way more spoilt than in the parks, the Magic is a wonderful ship to sail on you will have a wonderful time. TBH the cruises have spoilt the parks for us less waiting time everything at your fingertips and such a special experience.

To me they are two completely different things. The cruise was fantastic as there was lots if Disney Magic and character opportunities but there was also plenty of other things to do and see. The parks to me are all about the rides!! Less of the characters for us (as we've seen most on the ship)! And more of the rides!!

The atmosphere in the parks feels less relaxing when compared to the cruise IMO. Everyone is rushing around!
I loved our cruise, I'm sure yours will be fantastic too :)

I love DCL so do our kids and they have said many times they would rather cruise than go to the parks if they had to choose one, it's more relaxed the crew are awesome and honestly you are way more spoilt than in the parks, the Magic is a wonderful ship to sail on you will have a wonderful time. TBH the cruises have spoilt the parks for us less waiting time everything at your fingertips and such a special experience.

I've heard people in the past comment that they also prefer the ships to the parks. Disney without the crowd planning.

the parks to me are all about the rides!! Less of the characters for us (as we've seen most on the ship)! And more of the rides!!

For me the parks are about the landscapes and whimsy and that's probably the very thing I'm hoping won't be lost on the ship. Of course it's a different thing entirely, a cruise ship to a fake castle, but those Disney imaginative details, I hope, will still prevail.

I've only been on a single, short Disney Cruise, but the cruise was very different to any of the Disney theme parks which I've visited.

The similarities would obviously be the Disney branding (which did turn up in many of the imaginative details on the cruise ship which I went on) and the level of attention and the degree of positivity of the employees (although the customer service you receive on the cruise is more akin to what you receive in the more expensive establishments in the theme parks).

Otherwise, there don't appear to be too many similarities. As someone who always wants to see every show, visit every attraction and go on every ride at the theme parks, my visits to the theme parks are normally very rushed and can be a little chaotic depending upon the crowds. The cruise was a far more relaxed pace, although still action packed with various activities both on and off the ship. It definitely wasn't crowded though. I don't know if our ship was full to capacity, but it seemed half-empty the vast majority of the time, with the exception of the restaurants, live musicals and the pool/s.

I think both the Disney theme parks and the Disney cruises are pretty awesome. I wouldn't be worried about not enjoying yourself on the cruise. I booked a short cruise (three days) because I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it and in hindsight, I wish I'd booked a week long cruise. My partner and I enjoyed the cruise so much, that we're hoping to incorporate a cruise on our next Disney-destination vacation (in addition to a theme park visit of course).

We have been to all but the Tokyo park and have been on 2 Disney cruises. I adored the cruises on the Fantasy and on the Magic in 2014 sailing the med. the cruises had Disney touches everywhere. Join a group through the dis boards that will be set up for your cruise and get involved in Fe groups it involves you putting a container on your door and exchanging small gifts with other members on your cruise. I may simplified it a little but you can read up on it in the Disney cruise meets there will be one for your cruise. This maybe what you are looking for to get excitement going. Have fun.

I've done both DL and WDW twice and I have cruised 5 times (although only once with Disney). While I've loved all my vacations, of the the above experiences the Disney Fantasy cruise was my favourite. An Eastern Mediterranean cruise with Costa was my second favourite. Had the Med cruise been on a nicer ship, that probably would have been my favourite since I loved the ports so much.

A Norway/Iceland cruise is very high on my bucket list and I think it's wonderful that Disney are now cruising there. You will have an amazing time.

I think you will find that it's not the things that are similar to other trips that will make this cruise so memorable and special, but the things that are different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter