DCA ToT Questions

ChelseaLynn

wdw extremist
So I know that the ToT in DCA is quite different from the one in DHS. From my understanding, you do not move forward through the building into the drop shaft, and it does not have random drop cycles like it does in WDW.

My question is really just out of curiosity, do you guys think DCA ToT will ever get the random drops like they've done in DHS? And also, to those who have rode both, is DCA ToT a disappointment compared to DHS's? It's my favorite ride, so I am really intrigued by the differences and everyone's opinions! Thanks! :)

I've ridden every TOT worldwide and I have to say I still think the Florida one is the best (and first one I rode) due to the 5th dimension room. But to my surprise a lot of people dont like the 5th dimension room and think its a waste of time so it tells you how vary opinions are.

But no I wouldnt say the one in DLR (and others) is a dissappointment, just different. It IS a much shorter ride without it though but it is good on its own merits. Especially the first time because its more of a surprise.

As far as random drops, I guess it will never happen. The ride is nearly a decade old now and nothing. I always thought if nothing else, do it for Halloween or something to promote it. I dont understand why they dont do it but my guess is they dont feel its needed.

Anyway I think Florida is the superior one, especially with the random drops but DCAs still holds it own. You may not like it AS much but I think you will like it.

Hope that helps! :)

From what I understand they have installed the software to do the random drops, so it's possible, but they haven't implemented it yet.

Wow thats interesting! You know how long? I dont understand what is the hold up then?

From what I understand they have installed the software to do the random drops, so it's possible, but they haven't implemented it yet.

Really? I didn't know that. That would be fantastic if it were true tho!

Thanks for your input. Wow, every ToT worldwide, that's great! Lucky you! :thumbsup2 I'm sure I would still love the ride. Another thing I wondered about was since you don't move through the building before the drop, does that mean you don't hear Rod Serling's haunting voice right before the drop as well? Or is that still there? :scratchin

Another thing I wondered about was since you don't move through the building before the drop, does that mean you don't hear Rod Serling's haunting voice right before the drop as well? Or is that still there? :scratchin

Yep, its still there! :)

I cant recall if its the exact same narrative though but I dont think it would be or shortened without the 5th dimension room, but its certainly there.

Awesome! I'm happy to hear that. I love hearing him talk right before the drop (or launch in DHS). It sets the whole ride! Thanks for the info :)

I'll preface this by saying my partner and I love the ride at DCA and were actually disappointed with the DHS version when we rode it for the first time in May. (We're among those who think the Fifth Dimension room is just a waste of time.)

The DCA ride isn't "much shorter" at all. It's actually just a bit shorter than the DHS ride, and what is cut out is mostly the wasted time at the end of the ride getting to the unloading zone. The main differences at DHA are that the ride loads and unloads from a single station (there is no separate unloading zone) and uses one drop shaft instead of two. Because of this, there is no Fifth Dimension room. Instead, the elevator backs up from the station into the drop shaft as the ride begins, and then moves forward back to the station as the ride ends. There is no forward movement during the actual ride, and there is no lateral (sideways) movement at the end of the ride as the elevators return to the loading zone, either.

The tower and grounds are somewhat different, but the interior is virtually identical once you get into the hotel lobby, except that after you exit the pre-show rooms, the boiler room loading zone is two stories tall instead of just on one level. This is because DCA uses two ride vehicles in each shaft. While one is running through the ride, the other is unloading and loading.

When the doors at the loading station open, you walk across a narrow hallway to reach the actual ride vehicle. Your view down the hallways is usually obstructed by cast members standing to either side. (This is the hallway used as an exit path at the end of the ride.)

When the doors close, the lights go down and the elevator moves slowly back revealing a starfield where the loading zone was while you hear a "Rod Serling" narration.

The elevator then suddenly rises to the second floor, which is not part of the DHS ride. The doors open to reveal a mirror image of the riders in the elevator which begins to morph until the riders are ghosts as the narrator tells the riders to wave goodbye.

Then the elevator rises to the third floor which essentially is the same as the second floor at DHS. This is the floor that tells and shows the story of the guests getting into the elevator and the tower getting hit by lightning. Instead of the elevator moving forward into a Fifth Dimension room at this point, anticipation is created for the drop sequence by showing the ghostly guests in their elevator surrounded by a starfield like the one you see as the ride begins. Their elevator shakes and then suddenly drops away. The narrator tells you it's now your turn, and while the doors to the third-floor scene are still open, the ride vehicle suddenly falls and the drop sequence begins.

The drop sequence is always the same (there is no randomization at DCA), and the view to the outside, over the park, is somewhat less obstructed and easier to see than at DHS. There is also less light bleed-in, so the lower portions of the drop are darker than at DHS.

As the drop sequence ends and the elevator finishes its final plunge, a crashing sound is heard that sounds like pieces of metal smashing and hitting the ground. It's a really effective, fun sound, and is absent at DHS.

At this point, you're back on the level where you started, and the starfield reappears as the elevator moves forward back to the station as the closing "Rod Serling" narration plays. When the doors open, you exit through the hallway that sits between the loading station and the elevator while the actual loading station doors remain closed. Just like at DHS, you exit through a gift shop where you can purchase your ride photo.

My partner and I really like the pacing on this version of the ride. Watching the ghost elevator fall, knowing you'll be next, really creates a sense of tension. In Orlando, we expect similar tension from the Fifth Dimension room, but just found it to be silly, with old 1990s projection technology and so much light that you can easily see ride mechanicals. We did like the "dimensional rift" that opens up right before the drop sequence begins, but we didn't think it created much tension, either. We also thought all the twisting and turning the elevator does at the bottom with the lights on while you travel to the unloading zone took away from the magic, as well.

Your elevator mileage may vary :)

You can see a typical POV on YouTube here.

I have to agree that ToT at DHS is far better and personally I do not think DCA will upgrade at all. I like the subtle changes between the different attractions when I visit WDW and DLR (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, ToT, etc).

These are all great posts, thanks for everyone's input! I look forward to experiencing the differences myself, hopefully spring of 2014. :) Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter