DCA and food

roymccoy

Efficient Oxygen Exchanger<br><font color="#0080c0
Look, I know that DCA's attendance isn't what they hoped and I know that Disney is scrambling to make some changes but I have a beef about the food places. It's not that I don't like the food...it's that I am having trouble buying the food. Most food sites open at noon and many of them close at 2 or 3 to open again for dinner at 5pm.
I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I get hungry at 11 or even 10:30. There's even a place over in The Wharf (Lucky Fortune Cookie) that only opens Friday, Saturday and Sunday! A CM told me it is because of DCA's low attendance. They have a provision in their lease that let's them close when attendance falls below a certain point. Who negotiated that for Disney?!?! Boy, they really gave it a go, didn't they? What were they open??Two months?? That's the old college try!

One other small criticism I have about the food stands is with the kitchens. I can see them. I don't want to see them. Over in DL, you walk into a nicely themed food stand and your food ends up on the counter. You don't see where it comes from. I like that. Over in DCA, it's like you are ordering at McDonald's with a few themed cardboard cut-outs in front of giant glass windows looking into the back of the cookie-cutter kitchens. And the kitchens look like a military chow line. "Issue one pot-sticker. One egg-roll. One fried shrimp. Move on soldier!"

I'm rambling on about little things, but I think that the reason DCA might not be working too well is BECAUSE of the little things. I think a whole bunch of little things are adding up to shoot Disney in the foot. They were penny wise and pound foolish.

Roy

"HOW MUCH FOR A BIG MAC?!?!?!"

My wife and I were astonished during our first foray into DCA to discover that most of the restaurants and eateries were closed by 8 o'clock.

We were wandering around, just looking on Friday night -- btw, the place was a proverbial GHOST TOWN -- and we wanted to grab a snack and NOTHING WAS OPEN. None of the eateries, none of the restaurants, nada, zip, zilch. Even the food carts were shuttered and deserted. It was downright depressing. And discouraging. Not very festive or fun.

Also: the place seemed awfully gloomy. Aside from Paradise Pier, with all its bulbs and neon, the rest of the park was dimly lit and not very inviting.

I suspect that may change when they bring back the Electrical Parade for the evenings. But for the time being, it looks lightyears away from the Happiest Place on Earth... :(

Again, we agree about the eateries in DCA. :(

Slim pickin's. :(

Between the River Rapids ride and Paradise Pier there was only one food cart and they were selling churros and sodas. No apple juice or water to be found! :mad:

A CM at the DL Hotel told us that many shops are closed during the weekdays and/or close early due to the 'slow season'.....and we say EXCUSE ME! I'm here. I'm a paying customer. I want to shop, drink, and eat. The CM told us to write it on our comment card.

Well I plan on typing a long, very, very long, letter to the 'comment card readers' with my .02 on everything....Good and Bad. :) :) :)

I would not want to be a vendor in a park where the entry fee was kept so high out of balance with attendance. I really feel for them, and I hope that Disney comes around very soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter