DC dolphin swim for near sighted

pezheadmeg

feminsit turned fashion student
I'm looking into booking Discovery Cove for October. However I am extremely near sighted. For snorkeling I would be going to the local dive shop and getting a prescription mask. I made the mistake on not having one when I did the Epcot aqua tour a few years ago, and the experience wasn't full without being able to see clearly.

Could I wear a pair of prescription goggles for the Dolphin swim? I would hate to shell out the extra $$ and not be able to actually see what was going on? I'm assuming I would be fine wearing regular prescription sunglasses on the lazy river.

They have prescription goggles there I have been told. You need to bring your prescription though. Maybe someone who has used them can give you more details :)

I have pretty much the same question, although I'm hoping that I can just wear glasses for most of the dolphin swim - I've seen lots of pics of people wearing sunglasses during their experience.

My perscription is so wacky that it takes me three weeks to get new glasses if I order from a "1 hour" place, so I don't think there's much hope of me being able to use the perscription goggles they can provide.

My husband and I both wore contact lenses with no problems. There wasn't much splashing to avoid, and we were able to snorkel using the regular goggles that they provide.

Also, you ARE permitted to wear goggles or sunglasses during the dolphin encounter, as long as you leave them on. Apparently, if you hold the goggles in your hand, the dolphins assume they are toys...

I'm wondering if you have to have a strap on the sunglasses? Isn't there a risk they'd fall off and into the water? I'd love to wear my sunglasses -- I can't see a thing in bright light without them.

KristenHoneymooner said:
My husband and I both wore contact lenses with no problems. There wasn't much splashing to avoid, and we were able to snorkel using the regular goggles that they provide.

Also, you ARE permitted to wear goggles or sunglasses during the dolphin encounter, as long as you leave them on. Apparently, if you hold the goggles in your hand, the dolphins assume they are toys...

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. My prescription is in the 800 index range so I can barely see the bedside clock. I'll use my back up pair of sunglasses with a strap.

If the trip does happen I'd be much more comfortable getting a prescription mask ahead of time.

DH wears glases - don't know the prescription but he can't see much without them. He wears his glasses all the time except for sleeping and showering.

We went to DC 2 years ago and he just wore his regular glasses during the dolphin encounter/ swim portion. He did not have a strap and did not have any problems.

For the snorkeling he wore one of DC's prescription masks and it worked fine for him. He also wore the mask in the river.

These replies are such a relief! I don't wear contacts and I was worried I'd be doing the dolphin encounter blind, which would really detract :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter