Dazed and Confused - pre cruise Disney?

oliverweagle

Mouseketeer
Hi there!

WE are going on a 5 nighter on the Dream next spring break - 2 adults and a 10 year old boy. What would you think about us spending a couple of nights at a Disney hotel and going to a resort - or resorts? Any recommendations? We have cruised Disney twice before (both times on the Wonder) but have NEVER stayed at a Disney hotel or gone to a Disney resort.

I looked briefly at the theme parks and resorts dis boards - but I think I know just enough to be totally lost!

We would welcome any suggestions or advice!

Thank you!

Ollie:)

We spent 5 nights/4 days at the All Star Music Resort before our 7 night eastern c. cruise last week. It was a decision made after we had booked the cruise so it was completely seperate planning but not at all difficult. We took advantage of free dining offered at the time we booked which saved a bundle and booked our park hopper passes, all through disney. I would recommend it if you can afford to do so and if it is something you have not done and don't intend on doing in the near future. Just go to the walt disney world website and check out any offers they have, there is always one out there! I would do your research however as to what resort you think would meet your family's needs and your budget. We chose ASM family suite which worked out great but if I had to do it again I may have swallowed hard and booked a better resort based on the criteria that my kids enjoyed hanging out at the pool most out of the trip (they are 4 and 7) so perhaps a hotel with better pool amenities for us? Hard to say. That being said they were thrilled with the pool at ASM and had a great time. Happy planning, it can be fun!

If you are going to use Disney transfers, then I recommend staying at one of the resorts they pick up from. You could use their buses to go to the right resort the morning of your cruise, but I would prefer the convenience of already being there. I don't remember what resorts they pick up from, but I am sure somebody else will tell you if you ask.

If you are going to use Disney transfers, then I recommend staying at one of the resorts they pick up from. You could use their buses to go to the right resort the morning of your cruise, but I would prefer the convenience of already being there. I don't remember what resorts they pick up from, but I am sure somebody else will tell you if you ask.

Disney picks up from ALL resorts now.

i am staying at POP before my cruise.

Hi there!

WE are going on a 5 nighter on the Dream next spring break - 2 adults and a 10 year old boy. What would you think about us spending a couple of nights at a Disney hotel and going to a resort - or resorts? Any recommendations? We have cruised Disney twice before (both times on the Wonder) but have NEVER stayed at a Disney hotel or gone to a Disney resort.

I looked briefly at the theme parks and resorts dis boards - but I think I know just enough to be totally lost!

We would welcome any suggestions or advice!

Thank you!

Ollie:)

I think we're going on the same Dream 5-nighter next year (March 13-18) and we're having the same discussion of where to stay for 2-3 days beforehand. I love the idea of going to WDW for those few days and staying on property! :love:
I think you have a couple of options:
if you want to spend those days at the parks, I would do that and go for a moderate resort. Our last trip we stayed in a pirate room at Caribbean Beach. Your son would LOVE it there! pirate: The rooms are themed great and the main pool is awesome!
The second option is the one we are leaning towards:
we are thinking to just enjoy the disney resort for those couple of days, relax at the pool, enjoy some good food etc. rather than go into the parks. Since we're saving some money then on the park admission, we'll upgrade from a moderate to a deluxe resort. We're currently debating between Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge or the Yacht Club.
Personally, I wouldn't go to a value resort, even with kids as I find them really crowded (especially on Spring Break which is when we always seem to be at WDW), the beds are really uncomfortable (IMHO) and transportation on the Disney buses always seems more crowded and less convenient. I also don't enjoy the theming there as much - Pop Century would be the only one I'd consider, but even then, it's not that much more to go up to a moderate resort and they're much nicer.
We've also stayed at Port Orleans, Riverside which is nice - although I find the restaurants at Caribbean Beach to be nicer/better and as I said, the pool is just great!
The Deluxe resorts are also pretty great, a bit roomier, the beds are WAY more comfy and the common areas are AWESOME but you pay more so ... :confused3
If you want to just spend a day or two at the parks, I'd recommend doing DS and MK rather than Epcot and AK - I think your son would like those two better at his age.
Sorry this is such a long response - I've been debating what to do about this as well so I have lots to say! :goodvibes
Enjoy your cruise and whatever you decide to do beforehand, I'm sure you'll all have a blast! :cool1:

WOW! Thank you all so much for the replies! I think I have to consider Caribbean Beach - maybe for the resort itself. Man, those $$$$ certainly add up in a hurry don't they!:)

Cheers,

Ollie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter