Day trip for SCUBA diving?

Synonymous

I know all about it, see?
We are planning a trip next February and I'm wondering if there is someplace within an easy drive from WDW that my daughter and I could go SCUBA diving. I've seen Crystal River mentioned, but I'd be interested in some ocean diving on either coast.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

To far for any really good ocean diving. I am from Crystal River and it is really pretty there plus in Feb the Manatees should still be hanging around. CR is about an hour and half to two hour drive.

Depends on what you want to see. If you like reefs, bright colored fish, then no. If you like springs, manatees, caves then lots of those. Homosassa Springs is next o it so there are lots of springs there to explore.

Another suggestion is to check out discovery cove at Seaworld. No diving but they have all the reefs you can snorkel around and the Sea Venture where you where the dive helmets and walk on the bottom around the reef. Check out the Seaworld board area for more info. We are going back there this May.

I found a dive shop that runs dives out of New Syrna Beach, which looks like at an hour and a half drive. Sea Dogs, it's called. They seem to have some cool wreck dives.

New Smyrna Beach is a lovely place and the diving area is pretty good. There may still be some excursions out to other dive sites too (been awhile since I've been).

I far prefer the ocean to a lake or river for diving, but to each their own.

Well, I'd be willing to try the river, but I'd prefer ocean if it's accessible.

Well, I'd be willing to try the river, but I'd prefer ocean if it's accessible.
Try one of the springs if fresh is ok.

For the best diving I've ever done, go to West Palm Beach for a drift dive at the edge of the Gulf Stream. I've gone out with Three Little Devils dive shop there. (it's about a 3 hr drive from disney, so it's a full day)

We are planning a trip next February and I'm wondering if there is someplace within an easy drive from WDW that my daughter and I could go SCUBA diving. I've seen Crystal River mentioned, but I'd be interested in some ocean diving on either coast.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Have you considered diving The Living Seas at Epcot? It can be a little pricey, but well worth it to do it at least once. Perfect dive conditions: 78 degree water temp, no current, and plenty of marine life, including turtles and sharks! And because you only go to about 35-40ft, the dive easily lasts 40 minutes. Lots of fun, and the rest of the family can see you and DD dive from the window of the exhibit.

Joe

Yeah, I've done that, Joe. It was fun, and I might do it again if my daughter wants to try it. But I'd like to get out into the ocean.

New Smyrna Beach is the Shark capital of FL.. they have the most shark attacks than anywhere in our State.. so just be aware of this if you want to go diving there.. I know chances are slim it can happen, but they are there more than anywhere else in this State.. just do some searching and you will see...

I'll worry about getting hit by lightning before I worry about getting attacked by a shark.

I would imagine West Palm would be the closest place for any decent off shore diving. That would make for a long day trip though. I have not been to Crystal River but have always wanted to. I would think it to be a pretty unique dive experience.

I would second West Palm unless you want to drive all the way down to key largo. As far as New Smyrna, it IS tricky , I don"t think I would dive there.

I'll worry about getting hit by lightning before I worry about getting attacked by a shark.

:rotfl: My DD says the same thing! She lives in Hawaii and just went diving somewhere near Waikiki last Sunday and she saw a white tipped shark.. she thought it was awesome.. but the week before the divers were seeing tiger sharks and had to close the beach for swimmers and divers...:eek:

I was there a couple weeks ago, too. And also saw a white-tip. It was very cool. Was hoping to see more, actually.

I guess since I don't dive, I cannot understand how cool that must be to see a shark up close.. I just think of it coming after me...:eek: If I were a diver, I would rather the ocean than the river, that much I would say.. so go for the ocean....:thumbsup2

oh, and yes, you are correct, you have a much better chance of getting hit my lightning here than you do getting bitten by a shark... but most don't even realize that...;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter