Day Six of the Honeymoon - "A tip?!? I got your tip right here!!!" Universal IOA

MScott1851

<font color=font color=royalblue>Got a link for th
I am in somewhat of a glum mood this morning. While I am about Disneyed out, I hate to leave. We get up rather early and leave AKL about 9:00.

I have waited until today to say this, but this whole tipping everyone who breathes on you SUCKS! I kept track of tips, and we have spent almost $50 on tips for valets, bellhops, mousekeeping, etc. Everyday, Mousekeeping got 2 or 3 dollars to make the bed, the valet got 3 dollars for getting the car (more if it was raining), the bell services guy got 10 bucks because we had a lot of bags. But it was getting ridiculous by the time we left... Case in point: We check out of the AKL. We call valet to go get our car, and we also call bell services. Bellman #1 comes to the room, loads the ten bags onto the cart and heads downstairs. Clint hands him $7.00 when we reach the entrance, thinking he is going to help us get the bags into the car as well. But the car isn't there, so the Bellman #1 thanks him profusely and leaves us there with our luggage, saying that someone will be there to help us when the car is brought around. Here comes the car, so we tip the valet his usual $3, and decide that we will put our OWN luggage into the car to avoid having out pockets sucked dry. OH NO! That can't happen here! When we only have three bags left to load, not one, but TWO bellman come over and wrestle bags away from us (one of which is MY PURSE) then stand there expecting a tip. Clint is out of money, having given away his last $10 worth of ones, and all I have left are 20's and 50's. I debate for a moment over whether to go get change, and then I make a command decision. I smile sweetly, say "thank you very much" and shut my door and drive away, guilt-free. I didn't ask for help, it took absolutely no effort on their part to hand me my purse, and I am NOT tipping for that. Besides, we won't be back.

Universal's Royal Pacific Resort is absolutely beautiful. I agree the building itself leaves a little to be desired, but the interior and the grounds are breathtaking. This style is my absolute favorite, my apartment is decorated like this at home! We are able to check in at 10:00am, get a beautiful king bed room overlooking the pool, and head to IOA. Clint is about tired of "themed rides" and wants to ride a real roller coaster. Well, he gets his wish!

After walking right into the park with no lines, we get on the Incredible Hulk, or as Clint refers to it the rest of the week, "The Hogan" because he associates the word Hulk with Hogan. (After numerous gaffes like this during the week, I plan to have him tested for learning disabilities when we get home.) This roller coaster blasts off at 60 mph and has SIX inversions. WHOO-HOO!!! Or at least this is what Clint is screaming. I am beside him screaming "OHMYGODOHMYGODIMGONNAPUKE!" Which I promptly do after we disembark. I feel a little better after ridding myself of the bagel I had for breakfast, and I decide to try to ride the Spiderman 3-D ride. NOT A GOOD IDEA. If you read day two of the honeymoon at WDW, you know that I get sick on these things. Which I promptly do after we disembark. That ends my riding for the day.

Let me say right here, that the Universal Express is the greatest thing ever invented! We had front of the line access to all rides and shows just for staying on site. It was wonderful! You even get bumped to the front of the line at restaurants! This is great for us, because I am just wanting to get out of the park at this point. Clint rides, I wait somewhere air-conditioned and hold the backpack. He loves Dr. Doom, he rides Spiderman again, etc, etc. We decide to eat lunch, then let me try to ride a small little rollercoaster. Nope. Even the kiddie rollercoaster makes me queasy. We should have called it a day, since I was throwing up and have a broken left foot. But we are determined to see everything. We have a heated debate about rides, because I could ride the water rides without getting sick, but Clint refuses to get wet. So I sit and wait on him to ride Fire and Ice, the Cat in the Hat, sipping my coke and propping up my foot. Finally, Clint decides he has got his fill of thrill rides, so we go to the Poseidon water show, which is awesome! We loved the tunnel of water, the whole show was really great! On the way back to the entrance, I beg him to ride Ripsaw Falls, because we watch it for a minute, and you don't really get wet on the drop, it's a big splash, but it splashes away from the raft. He agrees since most of the people we see getting off are mostly dry with just some sprinkles. We get in line, and when it comes time to board our raft, there is a couple in front of us who go about 250lb apiece, if not more. They somehow wedge into the front seat together, I sit in the second seat, and Clint gets in to the back seat. He is sitting about two feet higher than the front of the raft. What this means is that every time we go over a little hill, our noseheavy log goes UNDER the water, or we make a much bigger than usual splash. To make a long story short, I am soaked. Head to toe, dripping wet. Clint's shoes get soaked, because of all the water spilling into the raft. When we exit the ride, the couple in the log is actually having to get assistance to get out of the raft. To exact his revenge on me, Clint decides to ride the Hulk again before he lets us leave the park.

It was probably about 3:00 when we leave the park, having ridden everything at least twice (or at least Clint did). We drive to Jacksonville and have dinner with an old roommate of mine, and head back to Orlando that night around 12am. So far, we are loving Orlando and Universal, I just want to get back to the hotel and take a hot bath and fall into bed, because we are doing the studios tomorrow. When we get back to the hotel around 2am, there is no hot water, and the toilets won't flush! Which wouldn't be so bad, except something that Clint ate is not agreeing with him. It's at least 5am before the water is restored, they were working on the main line, or something. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, and this time I am prepared! I bought a bottle of Dramamine, I have two Phenergan, and I have an Antivert!

Sorry to hear you had such a rough day - hopefully the next day was better for you - thanks for posting!

tip...some of them do absolutely nothing and get bucks for that.....I think not.....glad that you had a good time...

Your not the only one! I also was on my honeymoon (check out my trip reports!!) and we went to IoA where I got sick on the Hulk. I had taken 2 motion sickness pills and I still had to sit for awhile afterwards. Dr. Doom and Spiderman were fine with me. I think it's the turning upside down thing that does it to me.

I really want to visit Universal sooner or later. Luckily, I don't get motion sick - I just can't convince DH to ride with me! He just doesn't like roller coasters! :rolleyes:

Alot of people working at Disney do depend on tips as thier income. I live in a tourist town and know what it is like to be in a recession. I believe if that gratuity is included you should only add extra for personal service (ie.. extra touches) most buffets add a grat. In most table service ala carte ordering restaurants the server must also tip out the hostess 5%, bartender 10% and busser 10%. So 25% or more (if a food runner is involved) of your tip is is given to other staff members. As for hotel staff, I tip mousekeeping for excellant service, and anyone who totes the mass amount of luggage we bring. I tip the valet once a day or divide one set amount daily if we are in and out. Most of the hotel CM's get a higher hourly wage than the restaurant staff does so keep that in mind as well. I have even tipped the concierge at the Poly for going above and beyond the call of duty for my family. I agree that some CM's will pout till you give them a tip and much like you I smile, shut the door and say thanks for the great service to the person I have never seen once on my vacation.

Glad your honeymoon was so nice and you got over the motion sickness. I will remember to pack my Dramamine (thanks). I read your report on another board and really like your sense of humor. I too have been through the great sandal debate.

Thanks for the reports
SoMoGo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter