Day before Thanksgiving prep?

maslex

DIS Veteran
So what do you do today to prep for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow (if anything)

Are you one to prep most of the dinner? Do you just peel/cut all of your potatoes/veggies or do you actually prepare these dishes today just to throw them in the oven tomorrow?

Just getting an idea on what people do today or if you save everything for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Make desserts
Make bread
Make cranberry sauce
Prep green bean casserole
Gather EVERYTHING I will need ( pans & ingredients ) for rest of food I’m making
If I’m setting a nice table - I lay out the table
Clean my house like it will be white glove inspected

I’m in charge of desserts so I’ll be baking today. Caramel apple cheesecake, pecan pie, chocolate cream pie, and some cookies. I also make the orange cranberry sauce but I can it so I made that last weekend.

We don't do anything until day of. I bought a smallish turkey (12 1/2 pounds) so it doesn't even have to go into the oven until early afternoon, so the morning will be taken up with preparing sides. We don't eat until 8 p.m. so there's plenty of time to do everything without rushing around.

Day before prep includes making French meat stuffing, cutting up the appetizers (cheese, veggies), making dips for snacking. Peeling and cutting up the butternut squash for pineapple squash casserole. I don't do the potatoes until the morning of as they tend to get brown. I put desserts on others, so I don't have to make any of that.

So what do you do today to prep for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow (if anything)

Are you one to prep most of the dinner? Do you just peel/cut all of your potatoes/veggies or do you actually prepare these dishes today just to throw them in the oven tomorrow?

Just getting an idea on what people do today or if you save everything for tomorrow.
😬 That would be a recipe for disaster for me.

Today is:
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin dip (for lunch tray)
Giblet Gravy
Pumpkin Pie "Ice Cream" Pie

Everything else is tomorrow.

Prepping most stuff today since we have about 20 people to cook for. Too chaotic to leave it all until there are a ton of people in my kitchen all talking at once. 😄.
Actually going to cook an extra turkey breast today to insure enough leftovers for people to take home. Making 20lbs of mashed potatoes, stuffing, whipped butternut squash, cranberry/apple relish, and gravy base (carmelized onions). Also prepping some stuff for appetizers like sweet and sour meatballs, stuffed mushrooms, etc.

Going to be a busy day but looking forward to it because my two daughters will be here to help. Love having all my kids back home…if even for a bit.💓

I am doing the desserts
Chocolate chip cheesecake bars (Gluten free)
Pumpkin muffins
Pumpkin pie filling (no crust)
Lemon Meringue pie

I'll be getting myself in gear shortly. Heading the bakery to pick up rolls & pumpkin roll. Then to grocery store to pick up the fresh vegetables I like to leave to the last minute, as well as anything I may have forgotten.
This afternoon I'll do some cleaning then probably make the cranberry sauce, shrimp mac & cheese and then I'll get the turkeys out of the brine and dried off and in the walk in cooler to sit overnight. Then we will get the folding tables up and cleaned off and I may start setting the tables a bit, and putting my buffet tables in place.

I'm off from work today and the kids have no school, but DH has to work until mid afternoon.

First, I'm taking the kids to Walmart. I have a Cindy Lou Who blow mold to pick up. Then we'll have lunch at the mall and maybe I'll let them do a bit of Christmas shopping. I kinda want to go to the movies too, we'll see. Maybe we can do that Friday.

After a pizza dinner, then I'll make the cranberry sauce and the apple pie. Everything else can wait until tomorrow.

We'll start cooking some of the sides and desserts. Some last minute cleaning/straightening before family arrives. I also have a doctor's appointment and some work meetings. It's less stress when we don't host, but work/soccer schedules ended up making it better to host.

Make two pumpkin pies
Cook the macaroni and shred the cheese for the macaroni and cheese
Cook the green beans for the casserole
Roast the turkey legs (will do the breasts tomorrow)
Set the butter out
Put the sparkling cider in the fridge
Get out the linens, serving dishes, and serving spoons

There are only 3 of us so have turkey breasts which we already cooked. Today we pick up the pumpkin pie from the bakery. Tomorrow we will do the crock pot stuffing, sweet potato casserole, and corn bread muffins. Plus right as we have dinner open a can of green beans and warm up in the microwave. Lastly the easiest thing of opening up the can of jellied cranberry sauce and putting it into a bowl.

Going to make some dough for the cranberry nut rolls - I refuse to pay the price whole foods charges.

Making some mascarpone cannoli type filling with coffee infused rum chatta for a desert I'm going to try. Not a recipe just trying some things. Filtering the coffee out of the Rum Chatta now.

Guess I could open the can of cranberry sauce and put it on a plate so it can chill perfectly ;)

Other than that not much - we don't have anyone over anymore and its just us and very laid back

My daughter and I have to work so we had Thanksgiving meal on Sunday.
I‘m working today and tomorrow. My husband said he will cook on the grill tomorrow evening and we can go swimming. Last night we figured out how to make the Christmas lights dance to music.

Day before prep includes making French meat stuffing, cutting up the appetizers (cheese, veggies), making dips for snacking. Peeling and cutting up the butternut squash for pineapple squash casserole. I don't do the potatoes until the morning of as they tend to get brown. I put desserts on others, so I don't have to make any of that.
Pineapple squash casserole sounds interesting!

Going to make some dough for the cranberry nut rolls - I refuse to pay the price whole foods charges.

Making some mascarpone cannoli type filling with coffee infused rum chatta for a desert I'm going to try. Not a recipe just trying some things. Filtering the coffee out of the Rum Chatta now.

Guess I could open the can of cranberry sauce and put it on a plate so it can chill perfectly ;)

Other than that not much - we don't have anyone over anymore and its just us and very laid back
Your spur of the moment dessert sounds sooo lovely but about that can of cranberry jelly….why not put the whole can in the fridge and let it chill that way until tomorrow? If I plated cranberry sauce in advance there would be several ancillary casserole dishes smeared with the red stuff 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter